Another newbie question

Another newbie question

jz2

November 21st, 2011, 6:13 pm #1

Just got an HW 77. (I promise, I'm done buying HW's for a while)
its the older model. is this stock walnut or beech.

November 21st, 2011, 6:31 pm #2

The key is the light "flake" elements seen on the lower edge of the fore end, and under the cheekpiece. These are caused by radial nutrient channels in the wood (medullary rays), which are tiny in most kinds of wood, but very prominent in oak and beech.

Also, walnut will almost always have that characteristic lovely translucent quality; beech has a surface that is completely opaque.

To the credit of HW and Dr Beeman, these guns have some of most beautiful production beech stocks ever.

jz2

November 21st, 2011, 8:51 pm #3

but the last time I thought it was beech it was walnut. I'll need to handle more stocks to hone my wood id mojo.
and actually I lied about last HW for a while. I may have to convert one of those 35's into a 50 or 55.

November 21st, 2011, 11:06 pm #4

Bought a CZ452 rimfire at a show and the seller and I both thought it was walnut. Got it home in different lighting and could see those tell tale flecks. Was still a good buy and some of the nicest beech I've seen on air gun or powder burner. Wish the current companies would use the same source as does CZ.