Urgent Help

Urgent Help

April 17th, 2012, 8:10 pm #1

I am a foster for an amazing male akita who most likely was abused before I got him. He is a pure joy with my cocker spaniel BUT is very aggressive with other dogs. Unfortunately we had a potential adopter bring his dog to our neighborhood park to meet CJ and it ended with CJ lock jawing on his poor dog. He was removed from my home by the Akita Rescue Group because they were worried he could turn on my cocker spaniel. He was put into a no dog family foster and escaped from their backyard and went for a stroll in their neighborhood ending with him attacking another dog. The rescue group now believes they need to put him down ASAP. I am on the verge of tears and kidnapping him and running away to mexico with him. I am joking of course but I am hoping someone might have a suggestion on an alternative to killing him. He is so loyal and loving but they keep calling him a liability. Any suggestions would be helpful. I am located in Dallas Texas if that helps!

April 18th, 2012, 11:33 am #2

I have located someone in Texas who is willing to speak with you (but not a member of this forum).
Please post your email address and I will forward it.

Lindsay1231
Lindsay1231

April 18th, 2012, 1:37 pm #3

Thank you for your resonse. My email address is lindsay123181@yahoo.com. I really appreciate your help!

Lindsay

Patricia
Patricia

April 18th, 2012, 4:38 pm #4

I have now forwarded your email address.

Been bit by a dog much
Been bit by a dog much

April 18th, 2012, 5:11 pm #5

I am a foster for an amazing male akita who most likely was abused before I got him. He is a pure joy with my cocker spaniel BUT is very aggressive with other dogs. Unfortunately we had a potential adopter bring his dog to our neighborhood park to meet CJ and it ended with CJ lock jawing on his poor dog. He was removed from my home by the Akita Rescue Group because they were worried he could turn on my cocker spaniel. He was put into a no dog family foster and escaped from their backyard and went for a stroll in their neighborhood ending with him attacking another dog. The rescue group now believes they need to put him down ASAP. I am on the verge of tears and kidnapping him and running away to mexico with him. I am joking of course but I am hoping someone might have a suggestion on an alternative to killing him. He is so loyal and loving but they keep calling him a liability. Any suggestions would be helpful. I am located in Dallas Texas if that helps!
I heard about this story and did a little digging, according the the local police and animal control, CJ severely mamed and killed a dog previoulsy. Then last week he was "strolling", also known as escaped from his home, and attacked a poodle causing life threatening trauma requiring emergency vetrenary care. This says nothing of the owner of the poodle that was attacked while trying to rescue the dog. The owner of the poodle also required medical attention due to deep puncture wounds via gigantic Akita teeth. Wittnesses said it was one of the most disturbing things they had heard and seen. I hate to think that a gentle giant might be subject to being euthenized but how many animals and people does an Akita need to attack before they are considered too dangerous for domestication. If the police report is right, CJ had escaped attacking the dog and owner near a local school. I'm greatful no children were killed. I'm an advocate for animals and pets. I'm also an avocate for humans and children. I also don't see how a rescue group would not be held liable for the next attack if CJ were to be adopted. I hate to think that CJ's choices will result in the loss of his life but I don't see how it can't.

Oh, and here's hoping no one contracted rabies. Because that is fun!

Lindsay
Lindsay

April 18th, 2012, 6:07 pm #6

I am not sure who you are and where you get your information but none of that information is correct! I have been CJS foster "mom" since he was rescued from a local animal shelter and he has not killed a dog while in my care! He is human friendly as well.

Before you post lies in regards to my post I would check your facts.

Candi
Candi

April 18th, 2012, 8:33 pm #7

I have now forwarded your email address.
You're a true Akita Angel !!!

Candi
Candi

April 18th, 2012, 8:42 pm #8

I am not sure who you are and where you get your information but none of that information is correct! I have been CJS foster "mom" since he was rescued from a local animal shelter and he has not killed a dog while in my care! He is human friendly as well.

Before you post lies in regards to my post I would check your facts.
Sorry you had to be subjected to a lying post -- The internet is unhappily full of useless haters ... Please keep us informed of any good news!

April 19th, 2012, 12:18 pm #9

You're a true Akita Angel !!!
Candi and Lindsay -- I am just a middle man...passing along the request/information.

I sent Lindsay's request to an international Akita delegate in Lindsay's area.
And in all honesty to all, I have posted ALL of the thread to the delegate.
It will be that person's choice/responsibility to respond/advise.

By the way, I am quite good at searching the net.
After the unidentified post, I tried combing the Dallas newspapers and know nothing.
I did find an April 9 PetFinder post for CJ but that was it.

This is just very confusing -- on one hand, the rescue people know the temperment tests and on the other hand, everyone is fallible, and there is a possibility that the Akita is salvagable.

Lindsay, in life, some things are simply out of our hands.
All we can do is pray that this will be resolved in CJ's best interest.

Pauline
Pauline

April 20th, 2012, 11:20 pm #10

the escape was down to human error, if the fencing had been adequate perhaps he wouldn`d have escaped. As a representative for akita rescue UK we have strict rules about fence hight and won't rehome or foster an akita out unless the fence is no less than 6 feet high, so if a dog is in a home with a shorter fence it's not his/her fault that they escape, some akitas like to climb, mine does, and obviousley CJ does.

His temperment would be accessed to be with "no other dogs" or kiddies and to only be with experienced large breed owners,oh yes, and we never allow a dog to go with anyone who won't keep them on leash at all times, CJ wouldn`t be put to sleep if all these criterior were upheld, that's why I think any problems are due to human error and not CJ's fault, surely, with care, this boy can be homed :( you sound like someone who really cares and I'm sure with a heart as special as yours CJ will be okay.