update for the worse :(

update for the worse :(

May 19th, 2011, 2:39 am #1

Hey guys!

So, Loki hurt his leg back in December, took him to the vet the woman stated it was his tendons on his foot...he had been getting better but small things set him back and he starts favouring and limping again.

WELL we took him AGAIN, this time 2 vets looked at him and turns out its his Knee.

Looks like my boy needs to be on suppliments and may have issues for the rest of his life

All i have to say is I do not regret getting Loki because he is so sweet now that he has aged but I DO regret getting him from the place i did. I WARN those who are from Canada looking for an AKITA. SUNLASS AKITAS or ALYSON WIESS (sp) Avoid this woman...If you want a good quality akita look else where, we've had alot of problems with Loki over the years and i really think its do to the Sh!t breeding that was done by this woman.... So i do want to warn others in Canada (she is from ALBERTA)

If anyone has any suggestions for us and what we can do to try and help him that would be great. We are starting to walk him slowly, keep him doing low impact, he isnt allowed to play anymore:( he can't run... nothing, we are trying to build those tendions/muscles back up and are hoping for the best...

But all suggestions are welcome... with knee issues

May 19th, 2011, 3:16 am #2

of knee problem ?

May 19th, 2011, 3:55 am #3

Hey guys!

So, Loki hurt his leg back in December, took him to the vet the woman stated it was his tendons on his foot...he had been getting better but small things set him back and he starts favouring and limping again.

WELL we took him AGAIN, this time 2 vets looked at him and turns out its his Knee.

Looks like my boy needs to be on suppliments and may have issues for the rest of his life

All i have to say is I do not regret getting Loki because he is so sweet now that he has aged but I DO regret getting him from the place i did. I WARN those who are from Canada looking for an AKITA. SUNLASS AKITAS or ALYSON WIESS (sp) Avoid this woman...If you want a good quality akita look else where, we've had alot of problems with Loki over the years and i really think its do to the Sh!t breeding that was done by this woman.... So i do want to warn others in Canada (she is from ALBERTA)

If anyone has any suggestions for us and what we can do to try and help him that would be great. We are starting to walk him slowly, keep him doing low impact, he isnt allowed to play anymore:( he can't run... nothing, we are trying to build those tendions/muscles back up and are hoping for the best...

I'm not sure what kind of knee problem it is, they didnt say too much. But his knee clicks/pops when they move it. So its right in the joint

basically they want us to strengthen his knee and leg. Then if that and the suppliments do not work, its sugery.

Pauline
Pauline

May 20th, 2011, 10:33 pm #4

Hey guys!

is he on glucosamine/chondroitin, that is really helpful for joints, it takes about 3 weeks to kick in but its good stuff:)

All I can suggest is gentle massage every day and along with reduced excersize and the other things you mentioned I'd avoid all gradients, but I guess you`re doing that anyway. Loki is lucky to have you to care for him X

May 22nd, 2011, 4:29 am #5

Hey guys!

I'm very sorry to read about this, we've been there/done that and there's no easy work around. Based on what You've posted I'm pretty confident that it's a torn ACL, the 'popping' noises are the torn meniscus (cartilage) rubbing each other the wrong way. I'm not playing 'doctor' or trying to act like a know-it-all, just based on my experience that's pretty much the identical symptoms that my dog had and it's all too common.
When my dog's first ACL tore I was worried that the extra stress on the good knee might cause it to tear as well so I got her in for a TPLO (just to get a solid leg under her). Turns out it was a good thing I did because the other one cut loose about a year later.
The thing that drove Me to surgery this last time (soft tissue repair) was the noisy joint, every time the meniscus 'pops' or 'drawers' it's doing irreversible damage. They wound up removing the whole meniscus on one condyle (medial I think) of one side of my dogs leg this time because it was so badly torn up, that pretty much guarantees that she'll have arthritic pain in that leg all too soon. If I would have known that they were going to remove the whole cartilage anyway I probably would have given conservative management more time, but this surgery wasn't the worst thing in the world. She's still working out the kinks but we're off restrictions and her leg is painful but solid.
Just FYI, to provide you some info to get started here's a link to a very pro-conservative management page:

http://www.tiggerpoz.com/

Here's another link that has info on surgical fixes: soft tissue repair, TPLO and TTO:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ru ... e_lig.html

This last time I tried conservative management for about a month, that's when her leg started popping, she wasn't showing improvement and I just couldn't deal with the sick in the gut feeling I got every time her knee made that noise (every....friggin.....step, pop, pop, pop). The vet surgeon said Her cartilage had fully folded back and she was walking on the underside of the meniscus, ouch.
When I talk about meniscus and cartilage (same thing) think of the white stuff on the end of a chicken bone. That's an 'articular' surface, it's like nature's teflon. It provides a gliding surface for the joint, nice and slick and smooth. When it wears out or breaks there's bone-on-bone contact. Bone regrows, cartilage does not. Irritation of the bone (through constant rubbing against bone) causes scar tissue, regrowth, osteophytes and abnormality that wouldn't occur in a normal (even with thin condylar tissue) joint.
Please bear in mind, every 'pop' You hear is heavy wear and tear that won't heal. If You can keep the joint from popping it may settle back and heal, I dunno, I just couldn't deal. Like I said, they took the whole thing out because it was wasted.
No stairs and movement restrictions bordering on abuse are required no matter which route you take, it'll break your heart sometimes but setbacks just prolong the restrictions.
Kimmy's mother had a torn ACL when she was whelping the pups, I had some foreknowledge that this might be a problem and I totally agree with You that it's a genetic issue. Both parents had such wonderful temperment and conformation that I just said, "gimme a puppy" and I never regretted my decision. The breeding program at that kennel got kind of whacky after Kimmy's litter but her pedigree was pretty solid. Her hips and eyes are good, but maybe weak ACL's need to be noted in AKC standards? Like, dogs that have had knee surgery shouldn't be bred or shown? This is all too hella common lately.
I hope the links will be informative for You, if you have any questions please ask.
Nutrients help.
Best wishes to You and Loki.
Last edited by wo_fat on May 22nd, 2011, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 25th, 2011, 3:27 am #6

Hey guys!

Hey guys, sorry about that!!!

Well they put him on glucosamine? sp and omega oils. We are to walk him to build up the muscle, it seemed to be working but then he has the odd set back. Its definitely better than it was originally! I wish he had no gradiants, but.. our basement flooded so he has to be upstairs with us (we have a walk in basement that they stayed at the entry area)

We cannot hear anything when he walks it was ONLY when the vet moved his joints/knee that they could hear something.

Thank you so much Chuck! Its so hard having to limit EVERYTHING that they do But we've started on daily "walking across the yard" which is large as a food ball field so we're going to start with that to help build up the muscle then walk him down the driveway gradually.

We are going to check out those links you posted, cannot thank you enough!

May 27th, 2011, 4:30 am #7

I use it, the dog uses it, my brother uses it, we're a bunch of train wrecks when it comes to knees. I've heard people say good things about ester C, it might be worth looking into.
The vets (when my dog had surgery) and the conservative management folks all recommend 2 months of strict restrictions. Here's a quote from the conservative management link, "The only way to know if a particular dog really needs surgery is to restrict activity and see if the dog can re-stabilize the joint".
I think the thing they strive for through decreased activity is atrophy (stiffness through non-use/shrinkage) of the surrounding support structures (ligaments and tendons) so they can better support the knee. After restrictions the dog takes controlled walks to slowly stretch the ligaments and tendons back into a balanced support for the joint.
My dog is just now coming out of strict restrictions a little over two months post-op. She's been baby gated in the smallest bedroom and only let out on leash to relieve herself, then right back in. I use an eight foot ramp over the two steps that get her out the side door of the garage. We started walks last week and she can just do the end of the block and back without limping but she is regaining some flexibility in the knee.
If Your dog's ACL tore it won't heal and early exercise after a tear can cause more extensive damage. If the vet is recommending exercise then your dog may just have a muscle strain, exercise is good for that. I hope that's all it is.
Keep Us posted!

May 29th, 2011, 2:52 pm #8

Hey guys!

Thank you Chuck!!!

Well, really for now its rest, but the vet does want a bit of exercise to help build it back. Thats what we did before and it seemed to work but it is really hard when only 2 out of 4 people follow the rules for Loki. His set backs are when they do not enforce Jared's and my rules for him.

We've got him on the suppliments.

Funny thing though, since he was small he has always had a "swagger". I would mention it to anyone that seen him walk and only ONE other person noticed.

May 31st, 2011, 5:16 am #9

My dog had two of those set backs where someone else let Her loose in the yard after her TPLO, it extended restrictions by at least another week. That's the pain of restrictions, you want to let them out (and they want to get out), but it isn't good for them. It's like feeding them chocolate, You can kill them with kindness.
This time has been better, strict restrictions with no setbacks and the recovery is going much better. She's off restrictions, the leg is very stiff but not as painful. She gets a slow, controlled walk around the block (big block with a lot of uphill), the slow walk makes her put a full range of motion on the leg (no short steps or hops). Her leg is atrophied with very weak muscles and tight ligaments and tendons. She's just got to build up and it's getting better very fast. She was running in the yard today (kinda hoppy, but she made a good effort).
My dog had a weird gate when she was younger, she was pigeon toed in the rear (Christine noticed it right off). The surgeries made her stand arrow straight (whew! No ankle dysplasia!).
I hope it's not ACL for your dog (I don't remember you saying it was) and I hope He'll get back on track soon.
If it is ACL I hope it doesn't tear all the way (they never heal), He'll be right back on restrictions again. Setbacks are painful, I know. It's just a few hard months of worrying about your dogs sanity (He'll be fine)and another month of getting Him back in shape. I hope You can hang in there.

June 3rd, 2011, 4:23 am #10

I'm not sure what kind of knee problem it is, they didnt say too much. But his knee clicks/pops when they move it. So its right in the joint

basically they want us to strengthen his knee and leg. Then if that and the suppliments do not work, its sugery.
menicus. You should have him checked by an ortho surgeon, and they will probably recommend surgery. Any dog can have this type of injury. Heck I torn my menicus from falling a long time ago.
</center>