This has been an unbearably sorrowful week at our house...

This has been an unbearably sorrowful week at our house...

Candi
Candi

April 22nd, 2011, 8:46 pm #1

I had to have my dearly beloved, ever-faithful & constant Borzoi companion, the aristocratic, dignified & magnificent Lazar Dances-With-Wolves, put to sleep following an incredibly brief & stunningly precipitous decline that befell him out of nowhere -- In just ONE WEEK he went from fully active & joyfully exuberant mobility, to an overwhelmingly rapid failure of muscle strength & neural control initially just in his hindlegs, but increasingly in his forelegs also, with the condition worsening before my eyes from one day to the next ... Lazar was never ill for even a hour in all his long & happy life prior to this past week (not once, not ever) so the first night during which he suffered discomfort & distress, I vowed not to put him through any further anxiety, humiliation & painful misery at 14 YEARS of age, thus his Vet and I agreed on euthanasia as the most humane Act of Love & Final Kindness we could render my precious "Emperor of Hounds".

Shaka has been beside herself, first with worry & then with grief -- Before now, she had never been separated from Lazar by anything more than a see-through gate (I did originally close the communicating door between their individual rooms when I left for work, but upon arriving back home after one day of that, I found Shaka had gnawed a peep-hole in it the size of her huge Akita "bear head" so she could keep a vigilant eye on her big brother while I was away from the house ... I know she and I will both weather this period of intense mourning together, but presently Shaka only wants to lie on Lazar's old bed when I'm there at night to make sure she doesn't destroy it (like she has all of the soft beds I USED TO give her) though during my work-days I still confine Shaka to her own room with the indestructible bed) but from there she continues to watch over Lazar's place in case he should return.

Currently, Shaka is refusing to eat her kibble, only taking a tentative & perfunctory nibble of previously irresistible delicacies such as cheese or chicken -- And when we go out for our 3 walks a day, all she wants to do (in an agitated state of high-alert) is look everywhere for Lazar ... This is an additionally gut-wrenching heartache for me on top of my own depression over losing him so suddenly & without any real warning, but Shaka and I will both recover in due course, with help from the inextinguishable Spirit of Lazar.

I wanted to share our sad news with all of you here on the forum, but I am simply incapable of discussing the details -- so please forgive me in advance if I don't say anything more about what happened ... I know those who have endured similar partings will understand my silence, and I thank those who haven't undergone something like this for respecting my inability to speak about it at any greater length.

April 22nd, 2011, 9:26 pm #2

I'm SO sorry, Candi. It is so hard to lose our beloved companions. Hugs to you and Shaka.
""<center>
</center>

April 22nd, 2011, 10:11 pm #3

I had to have my dearly beloved, ever-faithful & constant Borzoi companion, the aristocratic, dignified & magnificent Lazar Dances-With-Wolves, put to sleep following an incredibly brief & stunningly precipitous decline that befell him out of nowhere -- In just ONE WEEK he went from fully active & joyfully exuberant mobility, to an overwhelmingly rapid failure of muscle strength & neural control initially just in his hindlegs, but increasingly in his forelegs also, with the condition worsening before my eyes from one day to the next ... Lazar was never ill for even a hour in all his long & happy life prior to this past week (not once, not ever) so the first night during which he suffered discomfort & distress, I vowed not to put him through any further anxiety, humiliation & painful misery at 14 YEARS of age, thus his Vet and I agreed on euthanasia as the most humane Act of Love & Final Kindness we could render my precious "Emperor of Hounds".

Shaka has been beside herself, first with worry & then with grief -- Before now, she had never been separated from Lazar by anything more than a see-through gate (I did originally close the communicating door between their individual rooms when I left for work, but upon arriving back home after one day of that, I found Shaka had gnawed a peep-hole in it the size of her huge Akita "bear head" so she could keep a vigilant eye on her big brother while I was away from the house ... I know she and I will both weather this period of intense mourning together, but presently Shaka only wants to lie on Lazar's old bed when I'm there at night to make sure she doesn't destroy it (like she has all of the soft beds I USED TO give her) though during my work-days I still confine Shaka to her own room with the indestructible bed) but from there she continues to watch over Lazar's place in case he should return.

Currently, Shaka is refusing to eat her kibble, only taking a tentative & perfunctory nibble of previously irresistible delicacies such as cheese or chicken -- And when we go out for our 3 walks a day, all she wants to do (in an agitated state of high-alert) is look everywhere for Lazar ... This is an additionally gut-wrenching heartache for me on top of my own depression over losing him so suddenly & without any real warning, but Shaka and I will both recover in due course, with help from the inextinguishable Spirit of Lazar.

I wanted to share our sad news with all of you here on the forum, but I am simply incapable of discussing the details -- so please forgive me in advance if I don't say anything more about what happened ... I know those who have endured similar partings will understand my silence, and I thank those who haven't undergone something like this for respecting my inability to speak about it at any greater length.
Candy, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your companion. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

April 22nd, 2011, 10:23 pm #4

Sometimes these things that have been manifesting just come to a head which in our opionion seems like "over night" when in fact it has been a long time coming. I hope you and Shaka find peace very soon.

Pauline
Pauline

April 22nd, 2011, 10:41 pm #5

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news and I can feel your sadness (and your strength) through your writing, I totally understand how difficult it is to go through with that final act of kindness, you look at them and you just know you have to put your feelings aside and only consider your best friends situation, you saved Lazar from suffering and I'm sure he`ll be at the bridge ever gratful for what you did for him. It`s very sad for shaka but shaka`s greiving and need will help you to cope because you know you`re sharing your pain :(

My thoughts are with you, run free dear Lazar.

April 22nd, 2011, 11:33 pm #6

Dear Candi please accept my deepest condolences. He was a wonderful companion to you as you described him many times in your messages, and he lived a happy life by your side, I am SURE he is happy now and feels no pain or suffering. Please please please take good care of yourself as you and your family and Shaka go through this tough time, think how good it is for him that he is free from bad health or pain and how happy you were with your wonderful dog. Borzoi is a most unique, royal breed, as my Mom always said "they are angels of the dog world" . He is a doggy angel now in Heaven, he is happy now.

April 23rd, 2011, 4:00 am #7

No doubt You adored that boy, sounds like Shaka did too. I'm very sorry for Your loss.
Chuck

April 23rd, 2011, 5:18 am #8

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is always unbearably painful and it seems like that pain will last forever. You did the last kind act for your longtime friend. That is an act of love. Lazar is probably looking over you and Shaka right now, wishing that he could take away your pain too.

It's been exactly one year and 4 days now since we lost Kenta. That was an overnight thing too and the pain was greater than anything I'd previously known in my life. I can now finally think of his loss without feeling like my chest would implode. Yuki went off her food too for a few days, and ate only about half her normal portion for a month. It was heartbreaking watching her sniff over Kenta's favorite spots and then mope and sigh. She frantically looked for Kenta too, the first time we went out for a walk after he was gone, even though she watched us pack up his corpse and take it away to be buried. She was not her happy-go-lucky playful self until months afterwards, perhaps not even fully herself until after we got Kiba. I do somewhat know what you and Shaka are going through. It will get better eventually, but it may take many months. Be there for each other and cherish Lazar's memories.

Nicky
Nicky

April 23rd, 2011, 4:12 pm #9

I am so very, very sorry for your loss Candi... your post brought tears to my eyes.

If only every creature on the planet could have such a long, good and loved life as your boy did...

** RIP **

April 23rd, 2011, 7:18 pm #10

Very sorry to hear your sad news about your wonderful companion & friend... RIP sweet boy and Candi, I hope time will make things better for you,, it take a good while to heal,, so big hugs to you............
Jim & Betty Erter