Suggestions on Joint Supplements?

Suggestions on Joint Supplements?

October 20th, 2010, 11:05 pm #1

Our lil bear got hurt last week. We think it was when my mother in law came into town. When we have guests come over, Koko goes nuts. Starts running around like a tazmanian devil. My wife started noticing she was limping. We took her to the vet and they said that the source of the limping came from her right knee. Apparently she "stretched" the ligaments on the knee. It's not ruptured as she can put weight on it and she is not crying in pain. They gave us some anti-inflammatory meds, Rimadyl, to help ease the pain. She'll be on those meds for 2 weeks and is suppose to take it easy until then. My question is, would it be beneficial to put her on any joint supplements until she heals up? If so, can anyone reccomend a name brand/type? Im aware of the standard joint supplements that contain Chondroitin, Glucosamine, & Omega 3. Koko is a little over 2 years old. Thanks!

October 21st, 2010, 2:48 am #2

Awww, poor baby, hope the med's kick in and do the job soon and just glad it wasn't ruptured or worse. I hope the girl bounces back soon and getting them to take it easy is the hardest thing at times,, they are so full of energy at times, huh.. and gotta say I have always enjoyed your baby sig pictures of KOKO on here,, too cute..
Jim & Betty Erter

October 21st, 2010, 1:34 pm #3

Thanks Betty for your kind words. Other than the limping she is the same ol silly dog. Its been difficult trying to keep her from playing at the level before she got hurt. She loves to run and fetch and I can tell she's itching to go back to her old play habits.

October 21st, 2010, 8:46 pm #4

Our lil bear got hurt last week. We think it was when my mother in law came into town. When we have guests come over, Koko goes nuts. Starts running around like a tazmanian devil. My wife started noticing she was limping. We took her to the vet and they said that the source of the limping came from her right knee. Apparently she "stretched" the ligaments on the knee. It's not ruptured as she can put weight on it and she is not crying in pain. They gave us some anti-inflammatory meds, Rimadyl, to help ease the pain. She'll be on those meds for 2 weeks and is suppose to take it easy until then. My question is, would it be beneficial to put her on any joint supplements until she heals up? If so, can anyone reccomend a name brand/type? Im aware of the standard joint supplements that contain Chondroitin, Glucosamine, & Omega 3. Koko is a little over 2 years old. Thanks!

Both my dogs tore both their ACL/CCLs so I have been thru this for the last 8 years.

I gave them MSM/Glucosimine for many years. I just bought the human stuff at Target. The canine versions are a lot more expensive. I also gave them fish oil which seemed to help. And for several years I had them on a hyluronic acid supplement that REALLY seemed to help. I can't think of the name of it right now but it was very expensive.

I have a big container of HylaSport powder which a friend gave me. Powders don't work for me because my dogs free-feed out of the same dish so I can't regulate who gets what. I have to give them pills. If you are interested in the HylaSport, I could send it to you for free if you pay the postage. My friend quit using it on her dog because he was allergic to one of the ingrediants. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

About a year ago, I quit giving them all supplements - our housing situation was messed up and I got lazy (no good reason). They have been fine, but I do notice more limping recently. I am going to start them up again on MSM/Glucosimine and fish oil.

Worf & Zena, Proud Akitaforum Members Since 2004

October 21st, 2010, 9:49 pm #5

if she were my dog, I would probably ~not~ give her rimadyl. It sounds cruel, but it's easier to keep them from over-doing it if they can still feel that they aren't at 100%. Obviously you don't want her to suffer, but I know short of crating, I've always had a heck of a time keeping any of my dogs from bouncing around and being too active when they weren't supposed to be.

<center>
</center>

October 21st, 2010, 10:54 pm #6

Both my dogs tore both their ACL/CCLs so I have been thru this for the last 8 years.

I gave them MSM/Glucosimine for many years. I just bought the human stuff at Target. The canine versions are a lot more expensive. I also gave them fish oil which seemed to help. And for several years I had them on a hyluronic acid supplement that REALLY seemed to help. I can't think of the name of it right now but it was very expensive.

I have a big container of HylaSport powder which a friend gave me. Powders don't work for me because my dogs free-feed out of the same dish so I can't regulate who gets what. I have to give them pills. If you are interested in the HylaSport, I could send it to you for free if you pay the postage. My friend quit using it on her dog because he was allergic to one of the ingrediants. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

About a year ago, I quit giving them all supplements - our housing situation was messed up and I got lazy (no good reason). They have been fine, but I do notice more limping recently. I am going to start them up again on MSM/Glucosimine and fish oil.

Thanks guys for the response. Connie, I appreciate the offer, but that's not necessary. Gonna go to my local pet store and probably buy some supplements there when I get her food this Saturday. Connie, did u ever have your dogs go through surgery to fix those knees? Our vet told us if we had to go that route in the future, that it would cost roughly $4,000(both knees)! I just hope with the Rimadyl and maybe supplements that she will be ok in a week or so.

Gwenna, yeah its a pain in the ass to keep her from going buck wild. My wife had to crate her a couple times today because Koko felt it was a good time to go play with her toys...via running around like a tazmanian devil like I mentioned earlier. She's got one more week on the Rimadyl so hopefully things will get back to normal.

October 22nd, 2010, 1:53 pm #7

Both dogs, both knees, and then Zena had to have another surgery to remove the steel plates because she was having a reaction to the metal. I have over $10,000 invested in their legs... There are quite a few people on here who have gone through the same thing with their dogs.

I agree with Gwenna on limiting the Rimadyl. Give the lowest dosage you can for the shortest time possible.

I hope Koko is ok and that you don't end up going down the surgery route.

October 22nd, 2010, 6:49 pm #8

Thanks again for your suggestions. we'll see how things go.

October 22nd, 2010, 10:33 pm #9

I hope she`s on the mend.

My old benny was on rymadyl for many years, he was fine on it, it was kept to a vewry low dose when he was coping so that when he got worse, like in the colder weather, the dose could be upped without going to high. He was also on chondroitin and glucosamine combined, my vet told me it had to contain sulphate to help it absorb into into his system, I hope that`s of some help

October 22nd, 2010, 11:24 pm #10

I HIghly recommend it! www.k9challengesupplements.com