Potty training help?

Potty training help?

April 25th, 2012, 6:36 pm #1

Hi,

We have a beautiful long coat Akita that has a wonderful temperament, and she's now about 10 months old. Potty training has never worked (or we never did it right?) ...in the sense that she never 'asks' in any way to go out. She never has. Once or twice, we've seen her go to a door and in a couple of seconds, decide to 'go' in the house as though we were supposed to read her mind. Keep in mind that she'll go to the door to look out the window a million "no potty call" times anyway, so there is no easy way to tell which is which ...wants to look out the window? Or is thinking that she needs to go potty? She's very non-vocal unless a moose is outside (we're in Knik, Alaska). Normally, she goes potty outside (on a leash) in a particular area of the yard (now ponded over due to Spring break up ...melted snow ponding on frozen ground), or in one end of her dog run, or on a walk ...and we walk her probably 4 times a day between us. BUT, once in awhile, she'll potty in the house... sometimes right in front of us. She's done it 3 times in 3 days (2 pees, one poo) but normally will do it more like once a month or maybe even a tad less. What's changed recently is that her dog run is an absolute mess due to Spring break up (mud, ponding, etc) and she's been spending more time in the house or in her indoor kennel... not free to go potty at will outdoors.

SOOOoooooo ...my question is this: How DO you potty train an Akita who gives no physical or vocal sign that she needs to go? There's no behavior to reward! Is there some way to encourage behavior that doesn't yet exist??? This is a real puzzler for us... she's learned all other things in a stellar manner and is a very smart and obedient dog otherwise.

Thank you!
Brian

April 25th, 2012, 9:24 pm #2

I'm wondering if part of the problem has been that her potty area is a bit muddy and nasty? You might have to start training all over with taking her out at regular intervals. And then pay closer attention if she wanders off towards the door. Sometimes they give us a slight signal and we aren't paying attention. And at her age, she will still go if she really can't hold it any longer. It takes till they are about 1 year old to have complete control over their bladders.

Our youngest dog is about 1 year old and he doesn't have a signal. He does get rather nervous, bugs us, chases his tail. When he starts getting crazy, he usually needs to go out.

He is crated part of the day and up until about 2 months ago, would pee in his crate. But he is now able to hold it for a little over 8 hours.

Take a step backwards and be patient. She'll get it eventually. Good luck

April 25th, 2012, 10:10 pm #3

Every once in awhile, I've seen her a tiny bit anxious and then took her out. If it's because she has to go potty, it's because 'poo' was included on the list. I haven't noticed any kind of signal for just having to pee. Many other times, I thought she might be acting anxious but when taken out, she'll walk for miles and come home again without ever a pause to potty. We'll keep trying ...too bad she's so totally nonverbal (unless she's in her crate and we're eating dinner... that's a different story though).

Brian

April 26th, 2012, 1:08 am #4

I have a female who is now 8 who won't tell us when she needs to go out. It is kind of a guess and check method. Where she is young and picks up on tricks easily you could try hanging a bell from the door and teaching her to ring it when she needs to go out. When she rings the bell and goes out to potty give her a treat when she comes in. I have seen this work with other breeds.

April 26th, 2012, 3:55 am #5

Hmmm... Now that's an idea. She's learned so many other things by example, e.g. 'shake' (left or right paw, opposite of your hand ...in the proper way of shaking hands), 'High-5' (actually raises a paw straight up vertically to 'high-5' you) etc. I think we'll try that... at least she'll learn to ask to go out for whatever reason, even if not just potty.

Brian

April 26th, 2012, 11:55 am #6

Hi,

We have a beautiful long coat Akita that has a wonderful temperament, and she's now about 10 months old. Potty training has never worked (or we never did it right?) ...in the sense that she never 'asks' in any way to go out. She never has. Once or twice, we've seen her go to a door and in a couple of seconds, decide to 'go' in the house as though we were supposed to read her mind. Keep in mind that she'll go to the door to look out the window a million "no potty call" times anyway, so there is no easy way to tell which is which ...wants to look out the window? Or is thinking that she needs to go potty? She's very non-vocal unless a moose is outside (we're in Knik, Alaska). Normally, she goes potty outside (on a leash) in a particular area of the yard (now ponded over due to Spring break up ...melted snow ponding on frozen ground), or in one end of her dog run, or on a walk ...and we walk her probably 4 times a day between us. BUT, once in awhile, she'll potty in the house... sometimes right in front of us. She's done it 3 times in 3 days (2 pees, one poo) but normally will do it more like once a month or maybe even a tad less. What's changed recently is that her dog run is an absolute mess due to Spring break up (mud, ponding, etc) and she's been spending more time in the house or in her indoor kennel... not free to go potty at will outdoors.

SOOOoooooo ...my question is this: How DO you potty train an Akita who gives no physical or vocal sign that she needs to go? There's no behavior to reward! Is there some way to encourage behavior that doesn't yet exist??? This is a real puzzler for us... she's learned all other things in a stellar manner and is a very smart and obedient dog otherwise.

Thank you!
Brian

We have actively used the bell system.

1) I first tried this system around 1994 and then again in 2010.
Both were female Akitas.
Every time you take her out -- manually assist her to 'nose it.'
She's catch on really quick that the bell means 'out.'
Then you will have your signal.

2) Your next problem is -- that they ALWAYS "want to go 'out'"...
You need two words 1) for number one, and 2) for number two.
They should be distinctive.
For us, 'go pishie' or 'go meezzie.'

Then she'll understand what it is that is expected.
That should help with communication.

April 27th, 2012, 5:15 pm #7

Yes ...we'll try the bell thing for sure, right away. I think it's funny about step two ...that they first learn something and then try to work it to their advantage. That's an Akita for you ...smart, scheming ...heh heh.

Thanks,
Brian

April 27th, 2012, 9:48 pm #8

I haven't been back to this site in a really long time, but just thought I'd chime in. Ringing the bell does work, if your dog would rather be with you than outside Every time you go out the door, bump their nose with it a little, and as soon as they go up and bump it on their own immediately run over and let them out. I had a puppy that was starting to ring it regularly before she was adopted, and a lab that did it. The rest of mine would ring it just to be outside, so that ended that!

Good luck

pauline
pauline

May 1st, 2012, 10:35 pm #9

Hi,

Thank you!
Brian

done it by taking them out ot the garden after every meal and lots of praise when the jobs done :) also every time they walk by or sit by the door to the garden I let them out for a few mins then take them back in, that way they soon learn to go to the door to be let out, It used to take me about a week to poper house train using this method:) but it sounds like you're doing the same thing or simular already :)

Susan
Susan

May 2nd, 2012, 2:37 pm #10

We have actively used the bell system.

1) I first tried this system around 1994 and then again in 2010.
Both were female Akitas.
Every time you take her out -- manually assist her to 'nose it.'
She's catch on really quick that the bell means 'out.'
Then you will have your signal.

2) Your next problem is -- that they ALWAYS "want to go 'out'"...
You need two words 1) for number one, and 2) for number two.
They should be distinctive.
For us, 'go pishie' or 'go meezzie.'

Then she'll understand what it is that is expected.
That should help with communication.
We learned at the beginning our guy wasn't going to bark or let us know when he wanted to go out. We did the same thing touch his nose to the bell when we were taking him out to pee or poop. He learned very quickly, you'll be amazed. We had to say good-bye to our guy a few weeks ago and I don't think I'm going to take the bells off the door any time soon :O) They make me happy now, they were always much nicer to hear than a bark :O)