games and toys question

games and toys question

February 14th, 2010, 7:03 am #1

Oatmeal has zero interest in toys of any kind. No big deal, it's better than destroying his nice toys I guess! I've found a game he really enjoys that involves me running from one room to another with him chasing me and getting head scratches when he catches me. He is pretty "owner focused" (ie totally obsessed with me haha) and clearly has tons of fun playing like this though he often almost tackles me which is less fun for me. does anyone else have a mostly fun-hating dog and have any ideas? He seems content but I'm always up for such stuff.

February 14th, 2010, 3:10 pm #2

Porter was the same way when we got him. He didn't have any interest in most of his toys and if he did like any, it was only for about 5 mins. What I did was start playing with the toys to make them seem interesting. He would watch me play with them for a few minutes and get excited, then I would give them to him and he gradually started playing more and more. Now he will get his toys and play by himself or bring a toy over to play with him. It was trial and error finding what he likes though. I've donated a few toys to the shelters and friends. It also helps to buy cheaper toys until you get an idea of what he enjoys, I learned that the hard way.

As for the chasing, I used to play that with him. Then someone stated "Do you want your full grown Akita chasing you around thinking it's a game." So, I immediately stopped that game. He does still like to chase and I think I'm going to make him one of those fishing pole type rigs with the stuffed animal on the end. Someone posted a video of that on here a month or two ago, but that would be a great release for the chasing type.

Just my two cents and hopefully you will find something that works for you.

Kevin

February 14th, 2010, 11:26 pm #3

Oatmeal has zero interest in toys of any kind. No big deal, it's better than destroying his nice toys I guess! I've found a game he really enjoys that involves me running from one room to another with him chasing me and getting head scratches when he catches me. He is pretty "owner focused" (ie totally obsessed with me haha) and clearly has tons of fun playing like this though he often almost tackles me which is less fun for me. does anyone else have a mostly fun-hating dog and have any ideas? He seems content but I'm always up for such stuff.
you`re bound to find a toy that he can have fun with soon, That fishing rod toy that Kevin suggested sounds like it would satify his chase instinct but not direct the chase to you, perhaps you could tie a toy on a rope and drag it behind you for him to chase

February 14th, 2010, 11:42 pm #4

have you tried the toys that you fill with treats?

February 15th, 2010, 12:14 am #5

...food motivated? You might consider doing agility with him, or tracking might also be a really good option. My friend does tracking with her shiba and they started out where the trainer held the lead and my friend would go hide - much like you are already doing. Or do obedience with him - anything that is mental exercise for him. He might enjoy the treat dispensing toys, being that he gets a food reward for pushing the toy around. Sounds like he would rather play mental games vs. playing with fluffy toys. Enjoy - and Happy Training!!!

February 15th, 2010, 1:35 am #6

He doesn't care much for stuffed kongs but he might like one that rattles and has little crunchy treats. I'd love to do agility with him but he's 9 and has a bit of arthritis. Youre so right about the mental games. When he doesn't want to go a certain way on a walk he drags his feet and has even started fake limping! Then when we turn the way he wants to go he charges and sprints! I'm careful cuz he does have that arthritis but the vet said it's not even that bad. Today was classic. 2.5 mile walk that took AN HOUR! He ate half a rotisserie chicken he dragged out of a bush and decided he was done walking. Too bad we were a mile from my apartment. So he started dragging his feet and acting terminally ill but i called shenanigans cuz his tail was wagging away and he was smiling. I was right cuz a jogger passed and oatmeal suddenly felt better and we ran nonstop after the jogger for a half mile. totally hilarious to me. Its a good thing I'm just as stubborn and manipulative as this dog!

February 15th, 2010, 2:01 am #7

and she never had any interest in toys or bones at all but her best friend was her food dish.She would flip it and play with it for hours.I usually pick up all dishes as soon as the dogs are done eating but I always let her keep hers.It was fun to see her take an interest in something.
<center>
</center>

February 15th, 2010, 2:11 am #8

He doesn't care much for stuffed kongs but he might like one that rattles and has little crunchy treats. I'd love to do agility with him but he's 9 and has a bit of arthritis. Youre so right about the mental games. When he doesn't want to go a certain way on a walk he drags his feet and has even started fake limping! Then when we turn the way he wants to go he charges and sprints! I'm careful cuz he does have that arthritis but the vet said it's not even that bad. Today was classic. 2.5 mile walk that took AN HOUR! He ate half a rotisserie chicken he dragged out of a bush and decided he was done walking. Too bad we were a mile from my apartment. So he started dragging his feet and acting terminally ill but i called shenanigans cuz his tail was wagging away and he was smiling. I was right cuz a jogger passed and oatmeal suddenly felt better and we ran nonstop after the jogger for a half mile. totally hilarious to me. Its a good thing I'm just as stubborn and manipulative as this dog!
you let him eat a cooked chicken he found in the bushes?

You have to be careful about that.

I don't mean to scold you, but that can go so wrong in about a million different ways.

February 15th, 2010, 4:01 am #9

I'm sure he ate some of it by the time I realized what he was doing. no worries, I'm not that stupid!

February 15th, 2010, 9:46 am #10

...food motivated? You might consider doing agility with him, or tracking might also be a really good option. My friend does tracking with her shiba and they started out where the trainer held the lead and my friend would go hide - much like you are already doing. Or do obedience with him - anything that is mental exercise for him. He might enjoy the treat dispensing toys, being that he gets a food reward for pushing the toy around. Sounds like he would rather play mental games vs. playing with fluffy toys. Enjoy - and Happy Training!!!
Tracking sounds like it would be fun. I've already started a little bit with Porter. We play "Find it" where I let him smell something like a few pieces of apple or bacon. Have him do a sit, stay, then go hide them in a few places around the living room. Tell him to "Go find it!" and he goes nuts, sniffing everywhere. I think he really enjoys it, it's something I'm going to look into a little more in the future after we get some more obedience down.

Kevin