Choke Chains

Choke Chains

December 30th, 2011, 8:08 pm #1

Happy New Year everyone! Just another question. I've been using choke chains for about 2 months on Toshi who's 75lbs already and I'm just worried that it's going to hurt her. She's fine when we're just walking but when we're in the park (specially after she's finished with her 'business'), she would run around like crazy. My retractable leash is only 16 ft long so when it reaches the end it will just tug her choke chain hard. She's a strong pooch and I can feel the pressure when she runs and reaches the end of the leash. Will this cause injury to her neck? I am planning to swith back to her old collar but I thing this will have the same effect. Sometimes I'm so tempted to let her off the leash when no one's around the park but I'm just worried she might run away. As usual, I need your advice. Thanks again!

Candi
Candi

December 30th, 2011, 10:01 pm #2

1) Find some escape-proof area (even if it's just your own yard) for vigorous off-leash romping around, so Toshi CANNOT run away...

2) For walks in public places, I would never use a "flexi-lead" at all, because they can easily be pulled right out of your grasp by a big, strong, undisciplined Akita (then a dog fight or traffic tragedy could happen that you would NOT be able to prevent)...

3) Until you train her to heel properly on a 6 foot leather leash, I would buy Toshi a top-quality Prong collar AND a Dominant-Dog collar (http://leerburg.com/prong.htm & http://leerburg.com/746.htm) ASAP...

Dustin, a 75 pound dog that will soon tip the scales at nearly 100 pounds & may even weigh more than that before too much longer, alreday needs Formal Obedience Lessons "as of yesterday", no offense intended.

Dustin
Dustin

December 31st, 2011, 9:51 pm #3

Thanks for your advice Candi. I'm in the process of putting grass in my backyard so Toshi has her own playround. I've seen those prong collars before. Won't it cause injury just in case Toshi suddenly runs?

Pauline
Pauline

December 31st, 2011, 9:55 pm #4

Happy New Year everyone! Just another question. I've been using choke chains for about 2 months on Toshi who's 75lbs already and I'm just worried that it's going to hurt her. She's fine when we're just walking but when we're in the park (specially after she's finished with her 'business'), she would run around like crazy. My retractable leash is only 16 ft long so when it reaches the end it will just tug her choke chain hard. She's a strong pooch and I can feel the pressure when she runs and reaches the end of the leash. Will this cause injury to her neck? I am planning to swith back to her old collar but I thing this will have the same effect. Sometimes I'm so tempted to let her off the leash when no one's around the park but I'm just worried she might run away. As usual, I need your advice. Thanks again!
a half fabric/half chain choke on Asia when I was training her, it was great because the chain only closes up to the fabric ( a sort of woven very strong hessian, but I would think you could get it in leather as well) and it doesn`t tighten right up, now that Asia is a good girl on her lead I use a full woven fabric choke, it has no chain, Asia never pulls hard enough for the collar to close tight so it works well on her. I've never used a prong collar, they`re banned in England.

Dustin
Dustin

January 3rd, 2012, 4:52 pm #5

Thanks for your advice Candi. I'm in the process of putting grass in my backyard so Toshi has her own playround. I've seen those prong collars before. Won't it cause injury just in case Toshi suddenly runs?
Please check out the Leerburg website -- They have all sorts of FREE online video clips to demonstrate how their equipment & techniques work on high-drive dogs like an Akita... http://leerburg.com

A prong collar is an Obedience Training tool that will TEACH Toshi to heel properly on a Loose Lead in no time flat -- You won't need to use one on her forever, if you don't like the "look" of it ... And they must ALWAYS be worn with a Dominant-Dog collar as a "fail-safe" backup, just in case one Link in the Prong pops open during a leash correction.

Here's a little tip that will help Toshi to be less rambunctious during public walks:

Tire her out good at home first, with some vigorous exercise before leaving your own property, so she won't have all that pent-up energy to control when you go for a stroll.

January 3rd, 2012, 5:18 pm #6

There is a wealth of information in the Archives, (which are search-able).
No. The prong is not cruel.
It is however "a tender mercy of the cruel" not to have your Akita under control...
You will be very pleased with your prong collar.

Candi
Candi

January 3rd, 2012, 9:27 pm #7

!!!

nimfa
nimfa

January 5th, 2012, 3:40 pm #8

Hi! According to the training tip I got from http://www.trainpetdog.com/Akita/about-akita.html, Akitas (or any other dog breed) pull or go "crazy" on choke chains because they haven't been trained NOT to pull. So the solution here is TRAINING.

pauline
pauline

January 6th, 2012, 11:30 pm #9

the solution is training and starting early with the correct size type and weight of choke collar:) I learned to use the choke from a very good ex police dog trainer, when it's used properly (and worn correctly) it doesn`t "choke" the dog, it`s a quick flick on the lead to the collar and the sound of the chain "clicking" is good enough to correct the bad behavior, the choke should never be tight around the neck and with training the choke is always slack:)The half chain half woven fabric choke collars don`t tighten any further than contact with the woven fabric.

I think I'll try to make a vidio of useing a choke:)

April 9th, 2012, 9:47 pm #10

What about the halti vs the choke?