Terry Fator Scholarships

Terry Fator Scholarships

Ax
Ax

May 22nd, 2012, 3:20 pm #1

Are you a Ventriloquist living in the USA? Do you have talent? Can't afford to get to Vent Haven? Do you like Axtell Puppets but can't afford one? Guess what!?? Terry Fator himself wants to send YOU to VENT HAVEN this summer, so he's set up a SCHOLARSHIP and we at Axtell are offering $350 toward a PUPPET of your choice to the Scholarship winner ! Not just for kids!

Find out more info here! The Terry Fator Scholarship
Last edited by axtell on May 22nd, 2012, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ax
Ax

May 22nd, 2012, 3:36 pm #2

Pam Brooks
Pam Brooks

May 23rd, 2012, 5:00 am #3

Are you a Ventriloquist living in the USA? Do you have talent? Can't afford to get to Vent Haven? Do you like Axtell Puppets but can't afford one? Guess what!?? Terry Fator himself wants to send YOU to VENT HAVEN this summer, so he's set up a SCHOLARSHIP and we at Axtell are offering $350 toward a PUPPET of your choice to the Scholarship winner ! Not just for kids!

I think this is so awesome you are both doing this.

I'd love to do it but I'm still trying to learn the basics.

I have been wanting to go to the convention for a couple of years. Thanks to all the online Youtube videos I kind of feel like I've been there. Looks like a lot of fun.

Maybe next year!

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

May 23rd, 2012, 1:48 pm #4

Perhaps the best time to go is while you are learning the basics, Pam. I studied puppetry on my own and discovered that I had to unlearn some bad habits once I attended a Puppet Productions workshop. The same is true for the way letters are formed. Once you choose a method it can be difficult to change. The workshops LOVE to have newbies and people are extremely helpful. I have never been to VentHaven. (Work stops me.) But I have enjoyed conventions in Vegas and through Creative Ministry http://www.creativemin.com) . I'm sure Venthaven is filled with the same encouragement.

Here is an example. I have seen many great vents who never took a class on puppetry and they end up biting their words. It is a simple fix if you catch it early on.

And there are better methods of replacing a B or an M than with a D or an N. The workshops will teach you those before they become so ingrained that it is hard to consider something else.

Biggest reason: You will get to see the Axtell puppets up close and even try them on and see which you like. AND if you carry one around with you other people will tell you what they do with their similar Axtell puppet.

May 23rd, 2012, 4:37 pm #5

Tony, good point about ingrained bad habits. When I began to study puppetry with Carol Fijan (author: Making Puppets Come Alive) she wouldn't let me into her house unless I agreed to "unlearn" what I knew. I felt stupid standing in the driveway, so I said okay.

Pam Brooks
Pam Brooks

May 23rd, 2012, 5:11 pm #6

I have my first Axtell puppet in production now, I ordered Willie. I'm very excited.

So far I've been reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ventriloquism" by Taylor Mason. I like it a lot, it has a lot of great information.

Watching a lot of youtube videos of others doing vent work.

I have been looking for local worshops, but haven't found any yet. I'm in Monterey CA. if you hear of anything in CA, please let me know. Everything seems like it is all back east.

I do now have a vent pen pal thanks to this site. Suzie and I have been sharing ideas by email which has been fun.

I'll have to save up to go to VentHeaven next year.

I have been enjoying all the helpful ideas on this site. I wanted to thank all of you for sharing.

Travis H
Travis H

June 8th, 2012, 8:50 pm #7

A] Wish I was a vent, and not just a "lowly" puppeteer. Don't even know where to start. But I'd still love to attend VentHaven to point me in the right direction.
B] From the video intro, I learned that Terry has a new Winston puppet and a gorgeous wife.
C] Is this contest taking the place of the Axtell Video Challenge this year?

June 16th, 2012, 11:10 am #8

This is a great incentive. I only wish the arts were as supported here in Australia then maybe our talents would bloom as well. I hope to one day make it to Vent Haven and meet you guys, but I don't see it happening anytime in the near future unfortunately

Neale Bacon
Neale Bacon

June 17th, 2012, 5:51 am #9

Scholarships are for Americans only. Boo

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

June 17th, 2012, 2:00 pm #10

Has to be a limit on how far one has to come. Last minute tickets will add up fast in cost, so I imagine an international flight could get really expensive.