Special Needs

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

February 20th, 2011, 8:04 pm #21

I'm wanting to do special needs awareness skits using puppets. I know that there are some other companies that sell props for this, however I'm not looking to buy anything like that right now. Any one have any suggestions on how to adapt a basic 1/2 body puppet to become a special needs character?

This would be for children at my church. I want to teach awareness to non special needs kids, and teach self esteem to the children of our special need ministry.
I'm going to break the rule of not sending someone elsewhere to buy a puppet, particularly a non-Axtell puppet. But this puppet is perfect for this particular thread. Check out ebay and search for Kids on the Block puppet (or just Block puppet and it will come up.) There is a puppet in a puppet sized wheelchair.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

February 21st, 2011, 5:04 pm #22

I'm wanting to do special needs awareness skits using puppets. I know that there are some other companies that sell props for this, however I'm not looking to buy anything like that right now. Any one have any suggestions on how to adapt a basic 1/2 body puppet to become a special needs character?

This would be for children at my church. I want to teach awareness to non special needs kids, and teach self esteem to the children of our special need ministry.

Of course, you can turn your Axtell puppets into an example of someone with special equipment as well. Dark sunglasses to talk about blindness. Put braces on the big mouth puppet. (different topic) Perhaps keep one arm tucked inside the shirt and behind the puppet so it looks as though it only has one arm. You can buy what we call coke bottle glasses at party stores, with the extra thick lenses. Devise a hearing aid. (Remember Dan Horn and Orson and Dan trying to turn up the hearing aid? FUNNY!)

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

February 21st, 2011, 5:05 pm #23