Sharing Feelings - Your Beginnings with Axtell

Sharing Feelings - Your Beginnings with Axtell

Suzie
Suzie

June 3rd, 2012, 4:11 pm #1

This subject may be threaded in and around the forum weaves of knowledge and thoughts.

However:

How did you come across Axtell Expressions?
What struggles did you have deciding on which puppet out of so many to get?
What was your reaction when it arrived?
What kind of plans did you project before and after the purchase?
Or just in general share your thoughts on your first Axtel puppet. Feelings, thoughts, or what evers.
Or are you new and are in the first chapters of your adventure?

I think it would be cool to hear how you all got your first Axtell Expression and why.

Of course. What are you doing now with the first one?
Hummmmm.....
Last edited by axtell on June 6th, 2012, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

June 4th, 2012, 12:47 am #2

I first saw a black and white collage of the Axtell puppets in an entertainer's magazine. That was probably 1985? Not sure. I loved the look but I was a puppeteer and not a ventriloquist at the time. But I kept showing the photo around and asking people which was their favorite.

20 years ago (next month) I married and got the bear as a wedding present from Gene Cordova, who I had talked to many times about the Axtell's. I loved the look and once I got it I loved the feel and the audience reaction. The bear is still my main puppet and was in two shows this morning! (It isn't the original bear. I've done about 4,000 shows since then.)

Suzie
Suzie

June 4th, 2012, 1:53 am #3

This subject may be threaded in and around the forum weaves of knowledge and thoughts.

However:

Or just in general share your thoughts on your first Axtel puppet. Feelings, thoughts, or what evers.

I think it would be cool to hear how you all got your first Axtell Expression and why.

Hummmmm.....
Wow! How cool! Thanks for sharing.

June 4th, 2012, 3:47 am #4

However:

Hummmmm.....
Almost 5 years ago, after I retired from working at the Post Office for 37 years, I started doing magic shows again, after about a 20 year layoff. About a year after that, I bought a Dragon shoulder puppet, that was somewhat limited with what I could do with him. That puppet sat on a shelf for over a year. I again became interested into ventriloquism, which was also an unfulfilled passion of mine many years ago. After doing a really short routine with the dragon puppet, I really wanted to give ventriloquism a go.

One day while surfing the internet I came across Axtell Expressions, and their line of puppets. This was a little over 3 years ago. What really caught my eye, was the vent hands free Toucan puppets. Being a Disney lover, this puppet brought me back to one of my favorite attractions at Disney World, The Enchanted Tiki Room, and the birds that live there.

Thanks mostly to the ventriloquism lessons on Axtell's site and people like Tony Border, I felt somewhat confident to really get into ventriloquism and also into buying a vent, Hands Free Toucan Puppet.

Unfortunately, this was soon after Ron's passing. There were no Hands Free vent puppets in the USA. There were several Magic 1 puppets, but I did not want one of them. Steve told me there was 1 in England. I then bought that puppet and Steve had him flown back to the US, and then to me. Of course, I was impressed with the way this puppet looked and how he reacted. I guess you could say it was love at first sight.

My first show with this puppet, Taco, was actually on 7/16/2009. What a big hit. Since that first show with him, I have developed a very popular routine with Taco.

Even though, I now have several other Axtell Puppets, it's hard for me to abandon my Taco routine. Being a magician, I do my Taco routine first, which also consists of him doing 3 magic tricks, I then go into my magic show. My Taco routine covers about 20 minutes, and this rest of my show about 30 minutes.
Last edited by wizardpa on June 4th, 2012, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suzie
Suzie

June 4th, 2012, 8:55 am #5

However:

Hummmmm.....
WOW Chris! Great story. Love the shared memories. Thanks for sharing.

June 4th, 2012, 3:33 pm #6

However:

Hummmmm.....
I'm unemployed right now. I do volunteer work with special needs children in my church--www.seacoast.com. One day I decided to do some research on puppetry and venting. Everything I saw was for regular stage puppets though.

Google search led me to Axtell and I saw a link for the YouTube p-p-p-p-platypus give away and entered. A few days later I checked my email and saw I'd won.

I'm still learning the vent thing but most of my friends and the kids at church all love Wade the Platypus and Chester the Possum which I ordered when I had a job for awhile.

I know that God has to be leading this.

Thanks
Rog

I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I know that fully well.
Ps. 139 [NIV]

Suzie
Suzie

June 4th, 2012, 6:40 pm #7

However:

Hummmmm.....
Super Rog. I mean Super....Rog. When God has the reins all you got to do is hang on for the ride. Thanks for sharing your special memories. It is so neat how things happen.

Rick Cina
Rick Cina

June 5th, 2012, 12:54 am #8

However:

Hummmmm.....
I got started in late September, 2010, by ordering the crow, baby bird, MDB, and bird-arm because there was a 15% off sale that month (and I had only a day or two until the sale ended).

Just prior to that spending spree, I had decided on a paradigm shift: spending hundreds (now thousands) on Axtell puppets was going to be my "charity" offering to the local community(ies); previously I had viewed buying puppets as a "business" expense, as I use puppets in schools to teach character education to hundreds of kids every week.

I had accumulated some decent $30-ish ape and monkey puppets (my theme at the time) earlier in 2010, as even though I had seen the Axtell Cheeky Monkey and Bongo Gorilla online (and coveted them), I thought spending 10 times that amount for an ape puppet from Axtell was a little iffy. So it was just a matter of deciding that spending a lot more for an Axtell was worth it to me.

By April, 2011, I had accumulated 18 more Axtell puppets (in addition to the first 4 mentioned above). As of today (June, 2012), I have 28 Axtells. There are only a handful more that I would like to purchase at some point: Cheeky Monkey, Seal, Rat, Horse (head only). Except for the MDB, which I have yet to master or feel comfortable performing with yet (even though I've had it 1 1/2 years), I've used every puppet in at least a dozen performances. My Big Bear, Hang-On Monster, Cry Baby (not for under 6!), Bulldog, Chicken (Fred), Gator, and Possum are my most ask-for characters.

The Ooohs and Aaaahs from the kids when I bring out an Axtell make it worth it.

Suzie
Suzie

June 5th, 2012, 2:07 am #9

However:

Hummmmm.....
Wow! My Goodness Rick! Your memories are shouting Axtell. {:->
Thanks for sharing.

Suzie
Suzie

June 5th, 2012, 8:52 am #10

However:

Hummmmm.....
In 2007/2008 I was just starting to get back into working with puppets. I had used hand puppets off and on in the past. I was looking through the Net and stumpled upon Axtell Expressions. I was looking for full body puppets. WOW! Such neat looking puppets. I fell in love. I scraped together some money to purchase one of the smaller puppets. I really didn't know how much I would use it, so I did not want to spend much. Since I have small hands I ordered Baby Benny Bird. Named him Beck Er Bird. Oh, Man! I loved him and he was a huge hit at church during the children's moment. Plus I used him as a greeter at a bicycle helmet give away a year later. I had purchased the illusion arm a year after getting Beck Er Bird. That illusion arm is a fantastic tool. I have had more fun with Beck Er Bird sitting on that arm.
2011 I got the possum. Oh what a Hit he was! Dodger DeCar was becoming the favorite at Church.
2012 I have gotten the Seal,Skunk,PA system, Customized Storyteller (had the World's Oldest Man's Hands),and Customized Willie the Kid's little sister.
Each time I have received a package in the mail it was like Christmas. Each puppet was a WOW factor. They are so neat. To this day, I am tickled that I stumbled through the Net and landed on Axtell Expressions. I think Steve and his Axtell Crew do a wonderful job. They Rock!