Ostrich help...tips...im out of my league!!

Ostrich help...tips...im out of my league!!

crazy chris
crazy chris

March 28th, 2012, 12:51 am #1

although i am not going to be the puppeteer operating our ostrich...i decided to give him a try.... now mind you i am a huge guy with a background in construction work... lifted weights for years...and feel im quite the brute... but this puppet makes me feel like a 12 year old girl...lololol

i originally assumed the legs worked as a support...given the metal inside...but instead they are just more weight to have to lift...lol... its like dragging around one of those cpr dummies...

what do we do??? tips? ...i remember seeing a thread about building an arm strap...but i didnt pay much attention because i figured people were just weaklings...hahaha....now i see who the real weakling is...ME!!!!! lolol... my appologies to everyone!!

also...i attempted the foot straps but they popped off when i stood up... has anyone modified them by using some sort of board to send the strap back a foot or two to a spot more comfortable to stand without looking like your trying to have "relations" with the poor bird? lolol

all help is welcomed with open arms...im not afraid to bear hug!!!

cc

Suzie
Suzie

March 28th, 2012, 1:25 am #2

I couldn't find the tip either to help you out. But I remember seeing a fancy Ostrich (like a show girl) and a guy giving all kinds of demos on her.
I am willing to bet Steve, or one of the others will see your message and take you right to the Ostrich Hot Line.
I do remember she was really a pretty bird.
I think the Ostrich's are a really neat bird. Maybe when I grow up I can adopt one.

crazy chris
crazy chris

March 28th, 2012, 2:22 am #3

although i am not going to be the puppeteer operating our ostrich...i decided to give him a try.... now mind you i am a huge guy with a background in construction work... lifted weights for years...and feel im quite the brute... but this puppet makes me feel like a 12 year old girl...lololol

i originally assumed the legs worked as a support...given the metal inside...but instead they are just more weight to have to lift...lol... its like dragging around one of those cpr dummies...

what do we do??? tips? ...i remember seeing a thread about building an arm strap...but i didnt pay much attention because i figured people were just weaklings...hahaha....now i see who the real weakling is...ME!!!!! lolol... my appologies to everyone!!

also...i attempted the foot straps but they popped off when i stood up... has anyone modified them by using some sort of board to send the strap back a foot or two to a spot more comfortable to stand without looking like your trying to have "relations" with the poor bird? lolol

cc
YES!! I saw that showgirl ostrich!! wonderful character!!!

i havent yet filled the "beach ball" up yet....i wonder if that might help?

cc

Ax
Ax

March 28th, 2012, 2:48 am #4

cc
I love the ostrich and so do a lot of folkshttp://www.axtell.com/puppets-magic/ostrich-ideas/

Chris - I'm not sure why you thought the legs were supportive. The videos show the legs and knees flexing up and down which make them look realistic, and they adjust to your height that way. If we made them stiff and supportive like a table, they would be able to fold and pack up small. You could modify him with stiff legs and an elbow support, but then it's not so mobile and flexible.

I agree that its a little awkward and heavier than we'd like it to be. Blinking eyelids makes it even more so.

The thing that I don't care for myself is that in order to flap the wings he has to be out in front of you so the wings clear your body. If you bring him to your side, you can't flap his wings because he's next to you. So you need to keep him in front of you. If you give up the flapping wings you can have him next to you and remove the wing rod. You can also put a fake arm around him like Lou Hilario did. I'll hunt down a photo.

Chris - Try adding helium to the beach ball to make him lighter. : )

Ax

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 28th, 2012, 3:08 am #5

cc
Do a search for shoulder strap on this forum. One option is for the puppeteer to walk behind a wall that is at the height to support your elbow (and thus the puppet). I don't own an ostrich so I am just guessing here.

Muscles take time to adjust. (Bursitis would be another problem.) I took guitar lessons and my hand would cramp on new chords after a minute or two! Now I can play for much longer. In fact, I've started making money with my guitar at restaurants. I go to a coffee shop and sit down and play and before long someone will come up and say, "Listen, man. I'll give you $20 if you go play someplace else!"

crazy chris
crazy chris

March 28th, 2012, 10:07 am #6

cc
HAHAHAHA thanks steve and tony!!

i just want you guys to know what an AMAZING piece of art this puppet is... im definitely not complaining.... its that exact fact that makes it all the more imparitive that i figure out a way for my puppeteer to perform him perfectly!!

we will bust our butts til we figure it out!! hee hee

cc

March 28th, 2012, 5:11 pm #7

cc
Brett Roberts uses his Axtell ostrich in different venues. He's
an experienced puppeteer and may have some advice on best manipulation techniques.

crazy chris
crazy chris

March 28th, 2012, 6:59 pm #8

cc
thanks mr petra!!

we actually had about a 5 hour practice session today and the puppeteer using the ostrich absolutely aced his performance... he's around 5 foot 2 inches tall and i think that made a big difference... at my height i felt like i was having to hunch over to perform the ostrich...but for him its a really comfortable height!!

these puppets are amazing!! my hat is off to steve and his crew!!

cc

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 29th, 2012, 12:03 am #9

cc
I must say, CC you have gotten me thinking about opening a puppet house! There is an amazing place that has come on the market. It was a child day care center, lots of rooms, and lots of kid friendly bathrooms. Over 5,000 feet on one level, on an acre of land with safe parking! It is also next to the city's district school building so ALL of the elementary teachers in town (30 elem. schools) know right where it would be. I'm picturing loads of field trip potentials plus the birthday parties!

The problem is, how can I make it work without actually doing the work? Hmmm.

crazy chris
crazy chris

March 29th, 2012, 12:13 am #10

cc
OH TONY!! THAT SOUNDS LIKE SHANGRI LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surround yourself with some talented people and you will never regret it!! i am so lucky to have a crew with so many different and unique talents...the planets somehow aligned and our place runs at tip top performance!!

if you decide to take the plunge please keep us informed and take lots of pictures!!

cc