Organisation?! (organizing your show)

Organisation?! (organizing your show)

Jack McArdle
Jack McArdle

August 6th, 2007, 3:52 pm #1

Hi Guys,
How do you organise your shows?
I mean like, do you use puppets and magic together in one show?
I personally prefer NOT to do magic and just be a COMEEDY VENTRILOQUIST.
What about you?
Jack
Last edited by axtell on March 17th, 2012, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

August 6th, 2007, 4:47 pm #2

You will find it easier to write new shows if you have an outline. Here are some from performers I've seen, but first some general thoughts.

1. Open with your second strongest routine
2. Routine with an audience volunteer. Very non-threatening so future volunteeers will want to come up. Ex. Please hold this silk by the corners.
3. Something with music.
4. Novelty ventriloquism. (talking cup, genie in a bottle, etc.)
5. Humorous dialogue.
6. Endearing moment with a puppet. (Your cute little critter here.)
7. End with your strongest routine.

Note: People come a few minutes late at many venues so be ready to have a "pre-show" routine or audience warm-up before doing your second strongest routine.

I know a ventriloquist who essentially does:
1. Introduction of theme with main puppet
2. Magic trick: point a
3. Second puppet
4. Magic trick: point b
5. Third puppet
6. Magic trick: point c
7. Review with main puppet

This outline has worked for her for several shows and it is definitely easy to remember.

Mark Wade has an outline in his book. He suggests adding a novelty vent routine to each show.

Here is my outline:
1. Axtell Bear- Introduce lesson
2. Puppet skit behind stage- Point A
3. Puppet song
4. Magic trick 1- Reinforce point A
5. Vent skit- Point B
6. Magic trick, drawing board, or object lesson- Reinforce point B
7. Puppet skit or song- Point C
8. Magic set or drawing board- Reinforce point C
9. Axtell Bear again- Review lesson

Robbie
Robbie

August 7th, 2007, 4:09 pm #3

Although each venue is different, I organize a standard lesson-type show like this:

1. Strong vent routine. For older audiences, I'll make this more dialogue based. For younger audiences, it will be more visual-gage based.
2. Vent routine (different character) to introduce theme.
3. Object Lesson/Illusion or puppet performance behind screen to develop the lesson.
4. Practice the lesson (audience participation). For my show on "Patience," for example, I do a comedy illusion that forces the volunteer and the audience to practice patience at several places. Then I go over where those places were and how well they did. I have also done a vent routine that was strong in audience participation/reaction to achieve the same purpose.
5. "Wow" ending routine. (Usually the magic drawing board.)

My shows are usually ''lesson sandwiches:" A lesson between two strong routines. Since it is so hard to create really strong beginnings and endings that are customized to each show's lesson, I find that this way is the most effective for me and still offers a purpose for the show.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 14th, 2012, 6:53 pm #4

I know several people who are creating new shows. So I thought I'd dust off an old post (above). Here are some other thoughts.

1. List all the things you CAN do.
ex. play guitar
draw a cartoon head
tell a story
twist balloons
hula hoop
ventriloquism
rap
magic

That way, especially if you see the same audience week after week, you have a new thing to add just by checking your list. For example, I am working on a camp theme called Heroes. So I should look through my list of things I can do that might help teach that.

2. Include the following each time
A. Introduction of yourself
B. Introduction of theme
C. Specific lessons (3-5) within the theme
D. Audience participation
E. Challenge or review

Note: The more audience participation the better.
And teachers love easy to remember reviews if you're doing a school assembly.

March 14th, 2012, 10:35 pm #5

Hi Guys,
What about you?
Jack
I first suggest that you WRITE down everything you do at every show and the order that you do it. Write down the date and the general type of audience you are performing for.
Over the 4 years that I've been doing magic/vent shows, I have tailored my shows to entertain all ages. I have shows for young children, older children, teenagers, adults, elderly folks, and mixed audiences.
I tweak these shows replacing some weaker tricks/routines with better stuff.
If it's a repeat show, I'll change up my show with a different puppet, or some different magic tricks.
Usually, I open with a puppet routine, and I'll end my show with the production of a real rabbit.
I enjoy looking at what I did at a particular show 4 years ago as opposed to what I do now.
I have been extremely lucky in having the luxury of not having to depend on magic/vent shows for a living, since I have a good retirement income coming in allowing me to constantly upgrade my shows. I also have a pretty good selection of stuff to draw upon for my repeat shows. There is one group I perform for that I have now done 7 shows for and I'm getting ready to do my 8th. show for early next month.
I might also suggest that you note the reactions you get from some routines, and if it's not a strong routine you can either change it, or do away with it completely.

Suzie
Suzie

March 15th, 2012, 12:31 am #6

Hi Guys,
What about you?
Jack
I did a show this evening at a Church for a bunch of kids. KIC (Kids In Christ). I would say there were over 50 kids present, maybe twenty adults. The kids ages were two to thirteen. I came out with Dodger DeCar (Possum). Dodger was asleep I had the kids help me wake him up. Then Dodger did a few tricks he knew (spelling words, and a he smashed his nose for them). I got the kids to take part in my skit by asking questions and having them tell Dodger stuff, that went along with the spelling, and nose trick. I do not do any magic at this time with my programs. Then Dodger and I told a scripture story together. A memory verse. Then we closed with a couple of really short songs. The kids sang along and also did the memory verse. We closed with Prayer.
It went well. The small kids loved it. The middle kids of course know it all, but did not blow it for the little ones. The older kids and adults did whatever the little kids did.
We all had a good time.
I think everyone has their own way of handling a group that suits their skits. I have used the same skit, at least the back bone of it, three times now. Depending on who I am doing the skit in front of, I add different little tricks to help that group enjoy it more. None of the skits have been exactly the same yet.
I don't know if that helped you or not. But you got to catch em' if you can. Draw them in, then you got them hooked. {:->
Oh, by the way. I am a Vent only.
I am always open for ideas and improvement to help me grow.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 15th, 2012, 12:50 am #7

Hi Guys,
What about you?
Jack
Vent only is fine. Mark Wade, ofhttp://www.kidshowvent.com is a ventriloquist who writes a new program (or two) every year. He mixes his vent up a bit by using ventriloquism without puppets as well. Echo cup, baby cry, micmouth, Big Baby, Magic Drawing Board, or just using an audience member, would all fall into that category.

March 15th, 2012, 3:37 pm #8

Hi Guys,
What about you?
Jack
My Program usually contains: Magic, science demonstrations, Ventriloquism, and Chalk Art.

General outline:

Vent: usually a story that sets the theme of the program
Smaller opening magic trick with memory verse
Science demo
Magic with a story routine
Show Stopper magic or science demo
Chalk Art
Last edited by RevRoy on March 15th, 2012, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 8th, 2012, 2:38 pm #9

Hi Guys,
What about you?
Jack
I haven't seen a chalk artist in years! Would love to see it again! The last I saw used one of those 4 color wheels they used to put in front of silver or white Christmas trees. The color wheel would rotate slightly in front of a bulb and change the color of the tree. He had a little trouble telling which color of chalk he was grabbing with the light changes!

I know some that use the blacklight as well so the secondary picture is shown after the daylight picture has been sketched.

Marco Koch
Marco Koch

April 8th, 2012, 7:01 pm #10

Hi Guys,
What about you?
Jack
Hi,

it seems that everyone is doing some kind of "lesson show" (school, library, church, ...).
What's about e.g. with birthday shows (and I don't mean only children birthdays but adult shows, too)? How do you organize your show in such a case?

Thanks,
Marco.