Mirage 2000 advice sought

Things that you want to talk about regarding aircraft or models or whatever...

Moderator: renscho

Mirage 2000 advice sought

jvenables
Hero

August 10th, 2018, 8:12 am #1

I am not really into modern jets but have always admired the outlines of the delta wing Mirage series, and of these, I like the Mirage 2000C/D best. I recently picked up a couple of Italeri Mirage 2000D kits and some attractive markings from DXM Decals. The Italeri kit contains a large centreline fuel tank but the decal sheet includes markings for a large tank carried under the port wing and suggests this be sourced from the Tamiya Rafale C kit.

A quick look at Scalemates shows the Tamiya Rafale kit to be ex-Italeri; also reboxed by Heller and Revell. A couple of reviews of the various boxings indicates that wing tank to be included in every one. It looks like the HobbyBoss Rafale kits also contain said wing tanks. But I don't really want to buy a Rafale kit just to source a wing tank, especially when I have no interest whatsoever in having a Rafale model in the collection. Admittedly, the cheapest of the Rafale kits seems to be the Italeri Rafale M kit, at as little as US10.00, but I'm wondering if anyone who is familiar with these aircraft can suggest another (AM?) source for the correct fuel tank?

Being a simple shape, I could probably either scratchbuild a tank or modify the centreline tank in the kit, but if I can find one that is a near drop-fit for less than the price of a Rafale kit, then that would naturally be much easier and more preferable.

Cheers all, James.
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum

RayS
Godzilla
RayS
Godzilla

August 11th, 2018, 12:01 am #2

James,

I have a part started Rafale that I won't likely finish, I think the wing tanks are attached but could be carefully removed. You can have them if you wish

If you are interested I can dig the kit out and send images?
Ray Seppala
Canberra, Australia

jvenables
Hero

August 11th, 2018, 10:25 am #3

That'd be great, Ray. If you are sure you are happy to part with the tanks, let me know what you want and/or what the postage will be. I won;t expect you to send them to Laos; just my Brisbane address will be fine. I'll be back in Brisbane around mid October for a family gathering, so can collect the tanks then. Cheers, James. 
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum