Moderator: renscho

Looks like we're going to Tapatalk...

renscho
Godzilla
renscho
Godzilla

8:57 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #1

Oh, Boy... Be prepared! Received this today...

"Dear Zetaboard Admins,
We hope you enjoyed reviewing your board with CSS availability in the last week. This is to inform you that the Zetaboard conversion to Tapatalk Groups is now kicking off.
We will start by importing the sites with 10,000 posts or above. It’ll cause a few minutes maintenance down time on your site. The scheduled importing will mostly happen after midnight PST so to bring the least interruption to your site.
Boards with the following conditions will not be imported at this time.
•Boards with JS customizations. We are in the process of finalizing the JS implementation on Tapatalk Groups.
•Boards with Name conflict with the exiting Tapatalk Groups.
•Boards that allow multi-profiles per user account. i.e. same email address with multiple usernames.
•Boards with Custom Domains.
If your board is in one of the above mentioned conditions and you’d like to see a preview as soon as possible to expedite the production import process of your board, please contact us at support@tapatalk.com
Looking forward to having you onboard. Happy Tapatalking!
Regards,
Tapatalk Team"
Robert E. Rensch

SkyKing
Advanced Member
SkyKing
Advanced Member

9:18 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #2

Oh God! Not another forum going to Tapatalk! The forum killer.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

renscho
Godzilla
renscho
Godzilla

9:20 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #3

They've possibly begun the migration... Photos are all broken links from here...

:groan:

Oh, now they're back... This is going to be a riot.
Robert E. Rensch

Harold K
Godzilla

11:13 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #4

Not exactly fixing something that's not broken; but related.
See y'all on the other side, maybe.
Box-shaker; hater of all things resin and photoetched.
Not very pleased with Tapatalk!

Paul Boyer
Hero

12:00 AM - Jul 11, 2018 #5

Hyperscale went over to Tapatalk recently, and I like the results!

renscho
Godzilla
renscho
Godzilla

4:26 AM - Jul 11, 2018 #6

Paul Boyer wrote:Hyperscale went over to Tapatalk recently, and I like the results!
Yeah, at least that isn't horribly pessimistic... However-

I believe Brett is a programmer. I am not.

We shall see.
Robert E. Rensch

Aaron_w
Hero

4:53 AM - Jul 11, 2018 #7

Not really sure what all this means, but I guess we will soon find out. I thought Tapatalk was primarily made for tablet / smartphone interface, not at all sure how it will effect the format of the forum.

Fingers crossed. :0
Aaron Woods

FAAMAN
Beast

9:50 AM - Jul 11, 2018 #8

Airfix Tribute Forum and Hyperscale have both migrated and are perfectly fine.
Collectors beware . . . . if found anywhere or if I've got it in the stash, it WILL be built!!! Then . . "prepare to be assembled!!!"

Harold K
Godzilla

10:42 AM - Jul 11, 2018 #9

FAAMAN wrote:Airfix Tribute Forum and Hyperscale have both migrated and are perfectly fine.
"perfectly fine" and Hyperscale (the forum, that is) do not belong in the same sentence :)
IMHO, of course ;)

J.C. Bahr
Godzilla

2:37 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #10

Harold K wrote:
FAAMAN wrote:Airfix Tribute Forum and Hyperscale have both migrated and are perfectly fine.
"perfectly fine" and Hyperscale (the forum, that is) do not belong in the same sentence :)
LOL! _^
J.C. Bahr

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

dogsbody
Beast

4:01 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #11

I have no problems with Hyperscale. In fact, I like it better than the old forum. That was so old and useless. Yes, there will be an adjustment period, but it shouldn't take too long to figure it out.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

renscho
Godzilla
renscho
Godzilla

5:38 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #12

:pop: :whistle:
Robert E. Rensch

dknights
Godzilla

7:55 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #13

Harold K wrote:
IMHO, of course ;)
OK, now that was funny!
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: Tamiya A6M2
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40

Mark Schynert
Godzilla

11:37 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #14

Paul Boyer wrote:Hyperscale went over to Tapatalk recently, and I like the results!
I did too--compared to the ancient system HS was using. Using this and that, I like this a heck of a lot better. I also liked Becky better than Ann when I was in the fourth grade, but Becky moved away...stuck with Ann. :( :( :(

SkyKing
Advanced Member
SkyKing
Advanced Member

1:03 PM - Jul 12, 2018 #15

Not so; there are a lot of Javascript links in Hyperscale that have nothing to do with the functionality of the forum. i don't know what most of them are for, but I use a script blocker to prevent my browser from connecting to them just in case.

Also, some have noted that traffic on Hyperscale is dramatically down since the switchover. I hope that's not the case here.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

dogsbody
Beast

1:21 PM - Jul 12, 2018 #16

SkyKing wrote:
Not so; there are a lot of Javascript links in Hyperscale that have nothing to do with the functionality of the forum. i don't know what most of them are for, but I use a script blocker to prevent my browser from connecting to them just in case.

Also, some have noted that traffic on Hyperscale is dramatically down since the switchover. I hope that's not the case here.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
I visit Hyperscale every day. If the traffic has dropped off, then it's not by too much. I know some people left it just because it did change, not because of any real difficulty using it. Some people just like to piss and moan about life.

I don't know what the JavaScript links are, so won't comment on that. There are some small ads on Hyperscale, but that's how Brett helps pay for the forum. If he didn't, members would have to chip in some coin. That would really upset the whiners. The ads there do not jump up in front of anything and are fairly small.

I like it and welcome the move here.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,

RexTN
Hero

4:57 PM - Jul 12, 2018 #17

The upside to TapaTalk is that for the members, it doesn't take all that much adjustment.

The forum changes visually, but, there are settings for the member to customize it to suit their tastes. Let's face it, since all modern forums do that, too, no two users are seeing ANY forum the same as all the rest of the members. (people forget that part)

As an Admin,,,well, that is a huge change. Brett seems to have his all sorted for himself,,,,,but, as has been mentioned, he is an active programmer.

I am confident that I could get mine to do what I want,,,,,if I wasn't stuck in some password Catch 22 deal with it.

I think I will have to set up a new forum in Tapatalk, with a new forum name,,,,,from scratch. Then I will have all the functions that I lost when I "got migrated" that day.

There is no sense in resisting it, either for an existing forum, or for a new one,,,,,,,if this forum is going to migrate, then there is no way to guess which forum format will migrate next. Might just as well bite the bullet and adapt and overcome.

As for people leaving because the forum changes,,,,,,that is a mistake, made by people that don't understand that for the next little while, a LOT of the forums are going to wind up as TapaTalk. (might as well insist on keeping DOS or OS2, and not use a Mac or Windows)

(That Invision link in my signature redirects to a TapaTalk forum, it changed and let the hotlink work,,,,,for now)

echo139er
echo139er

7:57 PM - Jul 12, 2018 #18

I run a private forum also hosted on zetaboards. We have a ton of java script modifications on it so it wont be moving any time soon (per Tapatalk emails). I agree with RexTN, dont leave because of this migration. Change is good and sometimes it is for the best.

I know on my site if they don't provide us with a means to modify Tapatalk like we did zetaboards, it will a massive change. We have a custom award system for group builds and lets just say all the members like it.

I too am an active programmer, let me know if I can help in any way.

renscho
Godzilla
renscho
Godzilla

8:11 PM - Jul 12, 2018 #19

echo139er, I just may have to take you up on your offer.

I tried taking website design and programming courses a couple years ago. I failed miserably because I lacked the key elements... lightning like typing and current experience. I was in classes full of 21 year olds who already "ran their own IT departments..."

I'm 63 years old, and although I was able to barely learn HTML enough to post pictures on forums back in the day, once on-line hosts that provided hot links showed up, I let it fade. I could carry on because of plug-and-play and templates. Now, I'm not even sure of that.

I began this board as a modeler. That seemed to be the main issue. Now, it seems that is not the main issue at all.

I don't want the board to perish. I hope I have that choice.
Robert E. Rensch

echo139er
echo139er

8:14 PM - Jul 12, 2018 #20

renscho, yeah brother, I'd be happy to help.

renscho
Godzilla
renscho
Godzilla

8:28 PM - Jul 12, 2018 #21

:like:
Robert E. Rensch

echo139er
echo139er

8:35 PM - Jul 12, 2018 #22

renscho wrote: :like:
Sending you a PM.

Tommy
Beast

9:30 PM - Jul 12, 2018 #23

Hi Robert. I can’t offer any tech help but just want to say thanks for this site and offer all the encouragement I can to keep it going.
Still my favourite site _^

Chuck1945
Godzilla

12:10 AM - Jul 13, 2018 #24

My observation regarding HyperScale is that new topic posting may be down, not sure, but what I think has dropped off significantly is the ‘piling on’. Now that the only thing visible is the the topic heading, not any reply, there seems to be a lot less of folks thinking they have to get their opinion in the list of responses too. FWIW, I think that is a good thing
Chuck
Eastern WA, USA
Finished 2018:
Eduard Spitfire IXc, VIII, Monogram/Starfighter BFC-2
On the active bench:
Eduard Bf 110C, Hasegawa B-24D, SH P-40E

Harold K
Godzilla

1:25 AM - Jul 13, 2018 #25

echo139er wrote:Change is good and sometimes it is for the best.
Well, that's often true but sometimes not. As a brand new member you may not be aware that this forum underwent a major change not long ago; which RR handled very well IMHO and most of us have adapted to more or less.
But ... if the pace of change keeps accelerating, some people like me (four years past RR) may reach a point of saying "ah, f**k it" and just letting it all slide. One gets to a point of losing interest in even trying to keep up with technology driven by people 1/3 of one's age, who grasp such matters almost effortlessly.

Mark Schynert
Godzilla

6:38 AM - Jul 13, 2018 #26

Harold K wrote:
Well, that's often true but sometimes not. As a brand new member you may not be aware that this forum underwent a major change not long ago; which RR handled very well IMHO and most of us have adapted to more or less.
But ... if the pace of change keeps accelerating, some people like me (four years past RR) may reach a point of saying "ah, f**k it" and just letting it all slide. One gets to a point of losing interest in even trying to keep up with technology driven by people 1/3 of one's age, who grasp such matters almost effortlessly.
The point is to enjoy content. Getting hit by multiple rounds of process when you just want to enjoy content is going to cause some people to throw up their hands. More modeling time, and you can post pix on FB without any of this nonsense.

The advantage of *good* fora is that the content is unattainable on Facebook, in the local community, and at whatever other gathering points modelers might frequent. This forum meets that criterion for me (oddly, so does HS, but less so). And while I'm not a programmer in the traditional sense, I'm tech savvy enough when I want to be to handle most anything the 20-something gurus want to throw in my path (or it's nonsense, and it will eventually go away).

I'll leave if the content doesn't warrant staying. That's almost happened a couple of times, so the threshold isn't that low. But I'm going to HS far less frequently than I did, and it's entirely about the look and feel. Functionality is better, but I'm not all that fond of it, and I can't be bothered to fuss with display options because it's not my primary forum. I get on, I get off.

Fussing with Zetaboards to get a look I liked took about two weeks of on-again off-again fiddling. It's all going in the dustbin, and I'll get the lackluster default Tapatalk interface, and then I'll either have to put up with that, I'll devote valuable time to the un-fun task of changing it to meet my preferences, or...well, I don't know what 'or' means in this case.

But this is a mutual moaning thread. It doesn't matter what we think. The Zetaboards implementation is not going to continue to exist. :weep:

Mark Schynert
Godzilla

6:38 AM - Jul 13, 2018 #27

:$

Mark Schynert
Godzilla

6:41 AM - Jul 13, 2018 #28

Chuck1945 wrote:My observation regarding HyperScale is that new topic posting may be down, not sure, but what I think has dropped off significantly is the ‘piling on’. Now that the only thing visible is the the topic heading, not any reply, there seems to be a lot less of folks thinking they have to get their opinion in the list of responses too. FWIW, I think that is a good thing
That's the advantage of having a 'like' button. You tap that to endorse a view with which you agree, and now you don't need to post and say the same thing.

Mark Schynert
Godzilla

6:44 AM - Jul 13, 2018 #29

renscho wrote:I don't want the board to perish. I hope I have that choice.
I hope you do too. Easily the best forum I bother to look at.

Mark Schynert
Godzilla

6:49 AM - Jul 13, 2018 #30

Harold K wrote:
The point is to enjoy content. Getting hit by multiple rounds of process when you just want to enjoy content is going to cause some people to throw up their hands. More modeling time, and you can post pix on FB without any of this nonsense.

The advantage of *good* fora is that the content is unattainable on Facebook, in the local community, and at whatever other gathering points modelers might frequent. This forum meets that criterion for me (oddly, so does HS, but less so). And while I'm not a programmer in the traditional sense, I'm tech savvy enough when I want to be to handle most anything the 20-something gurus want to throw in my path (or it's nonsense, and it will eventually go away).

I'll leave if the content doesn't warrant staying. That's almost happened a couple of times, so the threshold isn't that low. But I'm going to HS far less frequently than I did, and it's entirely about the look and feel. Functionality is better, but I'm not all that fond of it, and I can't be bothered to fuss with display options because it's not my primary forum. I get on, I get off.

Fussing with Zetaboards to get a look I liked took about two weeks of on-again off-again fiddling. It's all going in the dustbin, and I'll get the lackluster default Tapatalk interface, and then I'll either have to put up with that, I'll devote valuable time to the un-fun task of changing it to meet my preferences, or...well, I don't know what 'or' means in this case.

But this is a mutual moaning thread. It doesn't matter what we think. The Zetaboards implementation is not going to continue to exist. :weep:

Graham Boak
Godzilla

1:06 PM - Jul 13, 2018 #31

Chuck1945 wrote:My observation regarding HyperScale is that new topic posting may be down, not sure, but what I think has dropped off significantly is the ‘piling on’. Now that the only thing visible is the the topic heading, not any reply, there seems to be a lot less of folks thinking they have to get their opinion in the list of responses too. FWIW, I think that is a good thing
I'm not so sure that's always a good thing. Longer threads do tend to wander off in interesting directions, and I do feel the lack of this on the one Tapatalk forum I do use at the moment, namely Missing Lynx. I don't visit Hyperscale often nowadays, but can imagine the same problem existing there. I think that is a bigger loss than any gain I can see (or have seen) from the format.
Lancashire, UK

echo139er
echo139er

3:06 PM - Jul 13, 2018 #32

Mark Schynert wrote:
Harold K wrote:

You guys make excellent points and I agree big time. Sadly the days of the free internet are coming to end faster than tiny part flung from your tweezers. Hosting anything on the web is getting expensive, everyone want a payday now (and rightly so).

Tapatalk, at first glance, is anything but user friendly. I work in tech and these change adaptations come easy to me. But... I loathe the time I have to waste adjusting this and that to make it suit my needs. I rather spend that time at the bench. What attracted me to ZB was its simplicity of use (other than it being a free tool). I own/admin several boards, three of which are on ZB. One will probably die due to the change; the users are now making the move to Facebook. Which I find is a terrible place for modeling. It not easy to keep track of WIPs nor participate in a group build like you can on these type of forums.
Mark Schynert wrote:"But this is a mutual moaning thread. It doesn't matter what we think. The Zetaboards implementation is not going to continue to exist. "

dogsbody
Beast

3:22 PM - Jul 13, 2018 #33

The Borg: You will be assimilated; resistance is futile!

Charles Darwin: Adapt or die!

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,

RPeck
Beast

12:56 PM - Jul 14, 2018 #34

It is easier to post photo's on Tapatalk/Hyperscale and will take me a little bit to get use to it but better than no 72nd scale Aircraft forum.
Rick

Mark Schynert
Godzilla

8:12 PM - Jul 14, 2018 #35

RPeck wrote:But better than no 72nd scale Aircraft forum.
Rick
Probably the best way of looking at it.

J.C. Bahr
Godzilla

5:51 PM - Jul 15, 2018 #36

RPeck wrote:but better than no 72nd scale Aircraft forum.
Hear, hear!
J.C. Bahr

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

dknights
Godzilla

5:36 PM - Jul 16, 2018 #37

J.C. Bahr wrote:
RPeck wrote:but better than no 72nd scale Aircraft forum.
Hear, hear!
+1000
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: Tamiya A6M2
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40

SkyKing
Advanced Member
SkyKing
Advanced Member

11:26 PM - Jul 16, 2018 #38

RPeck wrote:It is easier to post photo's on Tapatalk/Hyperscale and will take me a little bit to get use to it but better than no 72nd scale Aircraft forum.
Rick
That was the only good thing about Hyperscale's move to the tapatalk platform. Performance is much worse, and the large number of javascript links to other sites, including advertisers, is infuriating.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

Chuck1945
Godzilla

3:43 AM - Jul 25, 2018 #39

Looks like we’re there now!
Chuck
Eastern WA, USA
Finished 2018:
Eduard Spitfire IXc, VIII, Monogram/Starfighter BFC-2
On the active bench:
Eduard Bf 110C, Hasegawa B-24D, SH P-40E

walrus
Godzilla
walrus
Godzilla

5:43 AM - Jul 25, 2018 #40

We have Like buttons for lazy gits who can't be bothered enough just to say a few nice words about posted works.  

Yes Me, I'm looking at you! 🙄

We also no longer seem to go to the last read post 
Is there any way to fix that please?
Paul from Birmingham, UK
Now living in Barnsley.

ca-15
Hero

6:12 AM - Jul 25, 2018 #41

walrus wrote: We also no longer seem to go to the last read post 
Is there any way to fix that please?
Hi Walrus,

Clicking on the "Discussions" menu appears to bring up recent posts.

Cheers

Michael
Michael Louey
Melbourne Australia

erussell
Hero

8:59 AM - Jul 25, 2018 #42

So much white space..................
Ed Russell at www.redroomodels.com

Harold K
Godzilla

10:36 AM - Jul 25, 2018 #43

I wake up to this? WTF?
How do I look at "active topics"?
The smileys are SO lame; looks like we're on F***book.

jvenables
Hero

11:19 AM - Jul 25, 2018 #44

walrus wrote: We have Like buttons for lazy gits who can't be bothered enough just to say a few nice words...
Beautifully said. "Like buttons" and "smileys" generally annoy the heck out of me. I know a lot of folk derive some pleasure from using the latter, but they just don't rock my boat. Every now and again I see a post where a "smiley" is cleverly used in a comical and/or satirical manner which I can appreciate but most of the time they simply look childish to me. 
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum

RJ Tucker
Hero

11:44 AM - Jul 25, 2018 #45

Well, the fateful moment has arrived! Meh, seems to work ok.  I miss the "last 24 hours" (or words to that effect) button. If that's my only b***h today it's gonna be a good day.

Timmay!
Hero

1:34 PM - Jul 25, 2018 #46

I find it easy to use. And I found the emoticons. Timmay!
Tim Treadway

Everything in a warzone is a target. Don't think so? Stand up.

MDriskill
Hero

1:38 PM - Jul 25, 2018 #47

Can someone please tell me how to "tell" the forum NOT to send me an email for every reply to something I've posted in? Thanks

😣

J.C. Bahr
Godzilla

2:47 PM - Jul 25, 2018 #48

Aw man, seems like we've lost our member number (in relation to when we signed up to the forum)... I was always kind of proud of that... kind of like the IPMS member number.

Also don't seem to have a setting option to display more posts in one window instead of having so many pages to click through.
J.C. Bahr

J.C. Bahr
Godzilla

2:50 PM - Jul 25, 2018 #49

MDriskill wrote: Can someone please tell me how to "tell" the forum NOT to send me an email for every reply to something I've posted in? Thanks

😣
Click on your name in top right corner... User Control Panel / Board Preferences / Edit Notification Options
J.C. Bahr

Shake
Beast

4:31 PM - Jul 25, 2018 #50

You just blink with your eyes and suddenly the whole forum has migrated. Doesn't look too bad, I think I can live with it, although the emoticons really suck.

Gr. Sjaak

Oh, and just noted I now am a beast instead of a grumpy rivet counter :-).
Dutch courage, I love it!