Moderator: renscho

Lavochkin La-5FN

Bert
Hero

3:57 PM - Aug 11, 2018 #1

Here is one I've been eyeing for years. The illustration is from a soft cover book Aviation International Eagles of the East No. 1 "Fighting Lavochkin". Not sure if there ever was a Vol 2.

The pilot was Vitali I. Popkov. Very different camo for a Soviet WW2 aircraft to say the least.

I'm using the KP 1/72 kit released last year I believe. 

And when I discovered Propacteam decals for this aircraft, I was off and running.

Here are a few in progress pix.

My concern was how in world will I be able to replicate this camo scheme.

I copied and printed the illustration on heavy paper and made some masks for the model. I removed the green sections and I'll attach the masks to the model raising them off the surface somewhat.  After painting the green, I'll cover over the green sections on the masks and cut out the brown sections and do it again. Will this work? Who knows? Never done it before.

Iko Iko jockamo fee na nay

J.C. Bahr
Godzilla

4:54 PM - Aug 11, 2018 #2

You are aware that this camo is a "whif" right?

Don't think there's any photo documentation supporting it and not sure where it originates from.  If done by current research, Popkov's La is a completely different animal... a little more bland, but still interesting nonetheless.

Sorry, not meaning to rain on your parade.  Build is looking good so far... do whatever floats your boat!  I'm still planning to do an aircraft (whif I-185 I'm thinking) like Kozhedub's supposed winter La-7 with the red nose and blue tail top.
J.C. Bahr

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

Bert
Hero

4:49 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #3

No worries my fellow 1/72 modeler. If I wait to find photo evidence of every WW2 kit I build, I most likely wouldn't have half the models In my collection. Especially Soviet aircraft. LOL

I thought the camo was cool and was tired of building mostly green/black/blue, gray/blue, or green/blue camo applied to Soviet WW2 aircraft

More photos will be coming. Hopefully sooner than later. It all depends on my masking skills.

-Bert

J.C. Bahr
Godzilla

6:11 PM - Aug 12, 2018 #4

Bert wrote:I thought the camo was cool and was tired of building mostly green/black/blue, gray/blue, or green/blue camo applied to Soviet WW2 aircraft
Yeah, it's sad when "new" research shows that previously interesting stuff was a bit more mundane in real life.  But then again, "new" research also shows up many other previously unknown interesting stuff too.
J.C. Bahr

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

jvenables
Hero

1:00 PM - Aug 13, 2018 #5

Go for it! I reckon that camo looks cool, too.

I generally like to model camo/colour schemes as accurately as possible; or at least, as accurately as I interpret them to be. But every now and again, I see some artwork or a profile that really appeals and I don't necessarily care whether or not it is accurate. One such example is a Cambodian MiG-15 UTI in an attractive but spurious dark green/grey green/brown upper surface camouflage over pale grey lowers. This profile has appeared and been copied in numerous publications over the years (and in a decal sheet too) but the real aircraft was a fairly boring green over blue. The MiG-15 is not really an aircraft that rocks my boat but I recently picked up a HobbyBoss MiG-15 UTI to do the spurious scheme. Accurate? No. Do I care? No.

One question re the La-5 though: what is that part protruding out front of the cowl ring? 
Last edited by jvenables on 2:52 AM - Aug 14, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum

John Thompson
Godzilla

3:58 PM - Aug 13, 2018 #6

jvenables wrote:One question re the La-5 though: what is that part protruding out front of the cowl ring? 
It's a shutter arrangement consisting of 24 blades which can be opened and closed, sort of scissors-like, in 12 pairs to control the airflow into the cowling and therefore the engine temperature. It's sometimes called a cooling fan a la FW-190, but it's not. It should actually be flush with the forward edge of the cowling ring or even offset very slightly inside it, not protruding. Sorry, Bert...

John
i cant brain today - i have the dumb

Bert
Hero

6:58 PM - Aug 13, 2018 #7

Actually, both the open and closed versions are included in the kit. I used the closed version as a painting mask. It's temporarily attached. Works good, no need to mask any other way. It does look weird though,
-Bert

SMackenzie
Advanced Member
SMackenzie
Advanced Member

11:36 PM - Aug 13, 2018 #8

Going back to Bert's original question - yes there was a Vol 2 titled - 'FIGHTING POLIKARPOV- EAGLES OF THE EAST NO. 2' . No more after that as far as I know.
Steve Mackenzie

Sydney, Land of Oz

Mark Schynert
Godzilla

4:14 AM - Aug 14, 2018 #9

SMackenzie wrote: Going back to Bert's original question - yes there was a Vol 2 titled - 'FIGHTING POLIKARPOV- EAGLES OF THE EAST NO. 2' . No more after that as far as I know.
Yep, got that one. All drawings, no photos, but pretty darned good. Abanshin was the author, IIRC.

erussell
Hero

4:27 AM - Aug 16, 2018 #10

That profile looks like it was done by someone who only partly understood one of the basics of camouflage - break up the outline of the object you are trying to hide. Most of the outline is in the light colour.
Still, I have to agree it looks cool!
Ed Russell at www.redroomodels.com

Bert
Hero

6:52 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #11

A couple more in progress pix, and the finished model. It's Built out of box. Not an easy build. I'm happy with the finished model.
Thanks for looking,
--Bert

dknights
Godzilla

6:56 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #12

That isn't an aircraft you see built very often.  Accurate or not, I like the camo.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: Tamiya A6M2
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40

Ruudster
Godzilla

7:45 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #13

Very nice Bert!
Ruud van der Salm
SW WA
OMS-IPMS, Portland OR

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

12:28 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #14

Agree, whif or not you have a nice end product.
White Male Privilege
Is Outdated Bullshit.

Boucheron
Advanced Member
Boucheron
Advanced Member

7:23 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #15

Bert, that is a fine looking La. I'm glad you posted this, as I was just wondering if a modern tooling of this aircraft was available in 72nd scale. 

Now to find a dealer in the US who carries KP kits. 

Bert
Hero

3:58 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #16

Thanks everyone for the compliments. IIRC, I bought the kit form ROLL Models. I believe they are no longer in business. Too bad, I bought plenty from them over the years.
-Bert

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

11:39 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #17

Boucheron wrote: Bert, that is a fine looking La. I'm glad you posted this, as I was just wondering if a modern tooling of this aircraft was available in 72nd scale. 

West Coast Hobbies, Canada, 

La-5FN in stock

There maybe some dealers on eBay, but I can't think of any in the US.  I've bought plenty from WCH over the years, his postage is very reasonable and never had any problems as a buyer.
White Male Privilege
Is Outdated Bullshit.

kingofmen
Godzilla

11:41 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #18

You're correct, Bert. They sold the inventory to Loic (former owner of GreatModels, where I spent a lot of $ over the years). He has his Kitlinx site up now, and is gradually adding in the Roll Models inventory. Plus getting new stuff in. GreatModels always seemed to ship pretty quickly (Roll did not on occasion) and they're only a couple of states to the east of me. So shipping duration shouldn't be too bad as well. A win-win (for me at least)! 
Kevin Callahan
Auburn WA USA
Visit the 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
All hail 1:72!

Chuck1945
Godzilla

1:42 AM - Yesterday #19

stimpy wrote:
Boucheron wrote: Bert, that is a fine looking La. I'm glad you posted this, as I was just wondering if a modern tooling of this aircraft was available in 72nd scale. 

West Coast Hobbies, Canada, 

La-5FN in stock

There maybe some dealers on eBay, but I can't think of any in the US.  I've bought plenty from WCH over the years, his postage is very reasonable and never had any problems as a buyer.
Ditto, very pleased WCH customer
Chuck
Eastern WA, USA
Finished 2018:
Eduard Spitfire IXc, VIII, Monogram/Starfighter BFC-2
On the active bench:
Eduard Bf 110C, Hasegawa B-24D, SH P-40E

Boucheron
Advanced Member
Boucheron
Advanced Member

8:31 PM - Yesterday #20

Cool. Thanks guys, just sent WCH a request for quote. Hopefully the shipping across the entire CONUS doesn't kill the price. 

woody
Hero

11:31 PM - Yesterday #21

I'm in PA and the shipping from WCH has always been reasonable.
Cheers,
Woody