Kubelwagen replacement wheels?

jvenables
Hero

2:30 AM - May 08, 2018 #1

Does anyone know of a set of replacement wheels (standard; not the sand tyres) that would suit the Academy Kubelwagen? Those that come with the kit are truly awful and I think even sanding them down would do little to improve their appearance. I have a few Kubelwagens that came boxed with other (aircraft) kits and thought I might throw a few together just for something different. I don't care too much about accuracy with these things but I cannot live with those chunky tyres!

An internet trawl only came up with a set from a company called "Mk.72" but I cannot find their site/store, nor anyone who stocks this wheel set.

I could try to improve just one wheel/tyre and then make my own resin copies, or I could pick up an S-Model Kubelwagen and make resin copies of its wheels... but neither of those options is ideal.
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum

nsmekanik
Beast

2:16 AM - May 09, 2018 #2

According to On the Way MK72 is now MPK-Modellbau, when I checked the link the site was down for maintenance so will hopefully be back soon.

jvenables
Hero

3:14 PM - May 17, 2018 #3

Last week I came across an eBay seller disposing of a single sprue set from the S-Model Kubelwagen at a very reasonable price that included free postage. I grabbed it.

Whilst I am certainly no expert on the subject, this kit appears to have quite acceptable wheels, so I will just make some resin copies for use on the Academy Kubelwagen kits.

Problem thus solved.
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum

dixieflyer
Godzilla

11:28 PM - May 18, 2018 #4

Sounds like a great plan James!

Warren
"History is the lie we all agree upon."