Moderator: renscho

Avis Bristol 72 racer

Zambudio
Hero

August 4th, 2018, 9:50 am #1

Has anyone seen this? Avis is about to release (announced as a limited edition) a model of this cartoonish flying barrel. Quite unexpected, but possibly a sign that they plan to do more racers and record machines of the Golden Era. Avis Bristol 72 racer

A nice photo of the machine under construction, with the Jupiter radial in place: Under construction

The machine was quite unsucessful. It had several advanced features for its era (1922), includling retractable undercarriage, but flew less than 10 times: Bristol 72
"Don't tell my mother I'm a banker, she thinks I play the piano in a brothel"
Great Depression joke

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

August 4th, 2018, 3:10 pm #2

Whoever did the box artwork must have been on acid! Else this represents the a/c just before the starboard wing ripped off.  Interesting looking a/c.
No more plastic

MDriskill
Hero

August 4th, 2018, 9:39 pm #3

Thanks for the link to the history! When I saw the kit announcement I at first wondered if the thing were real, or maybe some sort of “egg plane” caricature take on real classic racers, LOL.

A most interesting, if strange, aircraft; and surely one of the most obscure flying machines to ever appear in injection-molded styrene.

kingofmen
Godzilla

August 4th, 2018, 10:42 pm #4

There was a vac Bristol racer way back in the dark early days of my personal modelling history (early 80s). Can't remember the maker, though. Racers are uncommon enough that I will definitely spring for this one when it is available. 
Kevin Callahan
Auburn WA USA
Visit the 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
All hail 1:72!

jvenables
Hero

August 6th, 2018, 12:55 pm #5

I probably won't buy one but I have to admit this is the sort of quirky oddity that grabs my attention and screams to be built, just for something different.
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum