Moderator: renscho

AD-5N Skyraider

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

March 24th, 2015, 2:02 am #1

Here's the item breakdown for this conversion which should start soon.

The cockpit is resin and has a few details, just needs a little sprucing up with seat belts. As the rear canopy is tinted blue, there's not much point super detailing that area. I also have Attack's Douglas fuel tanks in resin which I need to research whether they were carried on this. RVHP also include the decals. The quality of the castings are OK, but as I have found on their Skyraider conversions, the anti glare shrouds are broken and need replacing with either etched metal or plasticard. 'Bout time I got this built before some Eastern European folks issue it.
No more plastic

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

March 27th, 2015, 5:20 pm #2

A little work started. Cleaned up the main resin, built up the cockpit, some detail painting but not yet complete; need harness and joystick added. Not going overboard with internal detail as the rear canopy glazing is to be shaded deep blue effectively reducing visibility. A couple of headaches to overcome. The instrument panel and coving are too wide and need cutting down without it actually looking like its been cut down; due to expanse of clear vac-form you will see this area.

More of a pain though is the vac-form itself. The frames are not clearly defined and the lower edge of the canopy has no framing at all if you want it to sit at the right height with the fuselage. This is going to look odd... I must go look at the other RVHP I built a couple years back and see what I did.

The lower fuselage edge is very thin and flexible. To provide stability and a straight edge to attach with the wings, I've glued some plastic over the seam.

Internal primed before using black. Cockpit floor attached as well as the intake from Hasegawa (in grey). No warpage or issues with these castings.

And here's the real problem. There is no frame work along the bottom edge of the glazing, but due to the way the vac-form was made, bubbly useless plastic rises up of the main sheet to the glazing edge instead (up to red line). I will have to cut the vac-form up to the red line so that it's height matches that of the fuselage. But this means there's no framework. Hope that makes sense...?

No more plastic

Ruudster
Godzilla

March 28th, 2015, 4:05 am #3

you are a braver man than i Stimpy. Also much better at tackling such things and moving ahead with it.
Ruud van der Salm
SW WA
OMS-IPMS, Portland OR

Big Kohona
Godzilla

March 28th, 2015, 5:06 pm #4

Impressive Stimpy. With respect to the cockpit canopy and lack of framing at the bottom, could you add some very thin plastic strips to make up for the lack of detail?

afgriff
Beast

March 28th, 2015, 6:03 pm #5

Very nice work, Stimpy! I can't wait to see what you do with this. I'm looking forward to more progress photos.

Tom

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

March 28th, 2015, 9:22 pm #6

The fuselage has been assembled, slowly working around the seams to prevent one ending up with a banana shape. The Hasegawa engine glued in place while the cowling cover was glued to the nose ring and only attached temp here for photos. There is a resin part for the intake ahead of the cockpit. This was wider then the attachment point so careful sanding was required; a bit difficult due to the profile along and under the edges.

I assembled the 3 part wings and test fitted to the fuselage. Pretty good, just a tadge resin sanded off the trailing edge location so that the rear wing beds down nicely. At the front a thin seam to be filled. The actual wing root is quite tight but will still require a thin sliver of putty to flare it in.

The cockpit coving was test fitted, some thinning of the cockpit sides needed to allow a drop in and a little of the instrument lower edge removed. This won't be attached until I've got the canopy sorted. I seem to remember on the AD-5S I built I went ahead and fixed the coving in before realizing the canopy was never going to sit around it !!!! Well not this time..... I do it right.

The tail.... problem area. The lower fuselage point has a triangular fixed tail piece to be added. It was much thinner than the fuselage so I had to build up the surface with CA/talc then sand that to shape.... no worries there, but the rudder with it's 6 surfaces to match up was not so good. I needed to sand off some of the rudders lower edge to drop the rudder..... but did not notice that that lower edge should not have been sanded 90 degrees to the vertical.... so I've made work for myself having to build up the sanded edge with plastic strip to create a wedge.

Other than that.... that's it folks for today.

the resin intake added and blended ahead of cockpit, the two red bars are where I'll need to make add the anti-glare stripes; molded on the fuselage but broken, RVHP also include spares.

here before I fitted the fixed section to the tail, the rudder seems not to bad a fit

fixed section added...

.... CA/Talc blended

problems with overall rudder edges

....oops... fits everwhere but I swear it was only a couple of runs with the file!

must build up the wedggies
No more plastic

jeroen_R90S
Beast

March 29th, 2015, 6:37 pm #7

Nice save -I'd been tempted by this conversion, but it was too expensive for me at the time. Look forward to the next installement -btw, doesn't the Monogram canopy fit (or the squadron replacement)

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

March 30th, 2015, 12:07 am #8

The Squadron and Monogram canopy do not fit as they are designed for the incorrectly sized Monogram kits. I have cut down the vac-form now to fit pretty good actually; no photo yet as it's sitting under a fresh coat of Future. I will be making the frames out of per-colored decal strips; I need blue and white.

Wings attached, a thin bead of CA on the front seam and dab on the rear was all that was needed. The right wing root had a small gap which was easily filled with plastic putty. It's currently drying and then will be wiped smooth with alcohol.

I finished off working the rudder and attached this along with a brass rod/tube antenna on the tail. The wing undercarriage area requires a new profile and is provided by a resin insert.

OK, now, I've read a few things about the AD-5 series which indicate that they were supplied with three seats; the radar was operated by one serviceman in the rear cockpit and one on the front right side using the radar components on the instrument panel. This is what RVHP supplied. However there are plenty of references stating they always flew with 4 aircrew....... Do I add another seat? It will have to be copied from a master.

Second.... what color is the cockpit on the GSB aircraft as I can't find a definite answer. Some aircrew swear it was black with lower sides interior green. All photos I've seen are from gull grey examples which had a grey interior. I went and sprayed everything black as per other 1950's USN kit. Any comments?????

No more plastic

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

April 5th, 2015, 12:48 am #9

A new month and the first of this months problems. I had noticed that the resin tail was warped enough to bug me, so I dipped the thing into a pan of hot water, forgetting that the actual pan was piping hot, which subsequently melted the outer wings that rested on the pan edge.... :rolleyes: :wacko:

I tried to fix the problem but the results didn't really work. So I opted to slice off the outer wings and utilize the Wolfpack wing fold set that was to be used on another build.

A little more tricky to cut out and install the main wing resin fold set but it worked out well. Other additions; I added the nose ring which was sanded to blend into the fuselage, the two steps aft of the trailing wing edge were done with brass wire and the dive brake cover shape on the lower fuselage was represented with a thin piece of grey plastic sheet; the panel lines for this were poor on the kit and also there were a few blemishes and air holes here.... now covered up. I also moved the tail's antenna down to the correct position and filled the hole were I had incorrectly positioned it. In a similar fashion the location of the underbelly radar thingy is shown incorrectly placed at the main wing trailing edge on the RVHP sheets. It should be where I've glued it on. The aircraft tail front edge coming down to the fuselage should have an abrupt step and not flared into the fuselage, so this step was simply done with a quick pass of the file. The antenna cover ahead of this was probably 3 times higher than it should be, so I changed it's height and profile too.

Cockpit glazing was masked on the inside and sprayed Mr. Color clear blue, followed by a coat of Future. Since the photo was taken I managed somehow to screw the surface up with one large spot in the paint.... so I have since removed the paint/future and cleaned up, re-Futured, currently curing and will again be re-sprayed blue.

relocated antenna about 2mm down

the tail step and antenna cover, this step should be much more pronounced but that would mean doing so further up the tail and thus too far back. This suggests the RVHP tail profile is incorrect.

correct location for under belly radar, plus addition of steps behind trailing edge and new air brake in grey.

main radar pylon added to starboard. The outer wings yet to be damaged and removed.

cockpit, seat belts added from thin strips of tamiya tape and painted.

Couple shots of canopy test fitting

the installation of the wing fold mechanism.... still to add the machine gun casting that slots in front of this.

test fitting outer wings (resin)

No more plastic

prop duster
Beast

April 8th, 2015, 2:27 pm #10

Look like you have everything totaly under control..........for now.........maybe........hopefully......good luck
Steve

Model building...SoCal style

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

April 9th, 2015, 1:20 am #11

Replaced the exhausts with tube; the resin moldings were solid and not round, added the Hasegawa cowlings over them, improved the rudder (again)....

No more plastic

Big Kohona
Godzilla

April 9th, 2015, 2:55 am #12

Looking mighty fine stimpy

Buz Pezold
Hero

April 18th, 2015, 12:58 am #13

Stimpy,

I am fascinated with your subject! :o Great work!

Buz
Geaux Tigers!
currently residing in Powder Springs, GA (USA)

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

April 19th, 2015, 1:16 am #14

Not much to report, but I did finally install the canopy which now needs masking. Once I've done a primer coat I'll know just what to do with the poor lower edge framing. I had to cut the canopy down in height a fair bit to have it sit properly and blend in with the top of the rear fuselage. However that has meant the rest of the rear contour is a little wider than the fuselage. Again only a primer coat is really going to give me info on just what I should do to blend it all in.

There really isn't mush else to do before moving on to the painting. I'll add some brake lines, I need to fabricate some cannon muzzles and add the anti glare plates.
No more plastic

NasaNick
Beast

April 19th, 2015, 1:59 pm #15

Wow! Excellent work!

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

April 27th, 2015, 6:40 pm #16

Seem to be doing the rounds again. I took the bird out on Sunday into the sunshine to sand and noticed for the first time a whole bunch of marks that needed some attention.... I really must improve my indoor lighting.

After many iterations then , I now have the canopy blended into the fuselage; notably the rear edge that was both too wide and too high for the curved fuselage section. All the lower edges of the canopy are blended and I think that the only good way to do the frames (which are almost non existent for the front) is to use decal strip.

putty

post putty

Hope to put a full primer down now after I have re-masked the entire canopy.
No more plastic

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

April 30th, 2015, 1:04 am #17

Paint Booth Day April 2015........ Mr Color GSB thinned with Mr Color thinner and flow enhancer. Two thin coats. Not the best finish though, I don't think I mixed long enough, else the paint has suffered in the tin. A bit grainy, so I rubbed it down with a fine mesh sanding cloth just to get rid of the bumps. Doing this with a slightly dirty grey mesh actually provided a nice worn look to the paint. I then masked and sprayed the white bands on the rudder/tail and wing tips.

Other things, machine guns on this are two diameters of brass rod, the anti glare flanges added above the exhausts. Note the canopy is full masked. I will do the frames with decal strips.

Give some cure time and then a couple coats of Future before the decals. I also need to scratch build the arrester hooks for the main under carriage legs plus some brake lines.

Here the prop (white sprayed tips awaiting yellow), Aires resin weapons pylons and resin wheels, Atack Squadron resin fuel tank and the RVHP 5N radar pod plus the kits undercarriage details and arrestor hook which needs white strips added to it.

Wolfpack resin wing tips

No more plastic

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

May 3rd, 2015, 8:17 pm #18

This has turned into a bit of a mess. Using Mr. Color GSB, levelling thinner and also a spot of Future, turned my paint very grainy. Polish, smooth, spray again and then spray a layer of Future. Umgh..... do the decals. I wiped down the surface after they had dried (Microsol and Microset) stains. Put down a cover coat of Future and it looks like the wiped stains all but came back!

Cut some templates and carefully sprayed slightly thinned GSB around the model and decals. A bit better. Now the canopy framing with pre-painted decals. So I removed the masking fluid only to see that some spits of primer from weeks ago dotted the canopy. Whatever. Tried to clean it up but to no avail. Laid the frames added some Microsol. Once dried, I touched the edges of the decal frames with GSB and then brushed Future over all the canopy and fuselage where I'd repainted and then sprayed another layer of Future on the general model to bring everything together. There's a lot of Future on this thing. I'm waiting to see if it looks good enough once it's all cured, but I suspect I'm not going to be very happy.

No more plastic

jeroen_R90S
Beast

May 5th, 2015, 1:26 pm #19

Doesn't really show in the pictures, looks quite good from here. I always seem to have paint messups myself, so I know how it feels...!

Still, nice build of an more or less unusual aircraft!

stimpy
Godzilla
stimpy
Godzilla

May 5th, 2015, 8:14 pm #20

Finished, but I did not bother adding brake lines. I'm not weathering her. I did add another coat of Future on the sides to try yet again to blend in the previous layers. Still not too happy, but at least that area is somewhat hidden by the folded wings. I suppose I could put the decals on the blades but have seen them without. Also some photos show the prop hub painted black or GSB rather than left in metal.

No more plastic

prop duster
Beast

May 10th, 2015, 6:48 pm #21

I think it looks real good
Steve

Model building...SoCal style