ACE Centurion

Timmay!
Hero

June 1st, 2016, 7:18 pm #1

In order not to hijack Glen's thread I decided to start a thread on the new ACE kit. This is not a shake the box kit but it is not difficult either. It has good fit for the most part. Detail is nice as well. Right now I am struggling with do I built it OTB or add some detail. Hope you enjoy. Timmay!

Tim Treadway

Everything in a warzone is a target. Don't think so? Stand up.

walrus
Godzilla
walrus
Godzilla

June 2nd, 2016, 12:51 am #2

Didn't recognise him at first without his clothes on!

Is it International 1/72 Centurion Week or something?
Two nice looking kits

While the Cromwell Centurion looks sweet and maybe easier to put together (?) am guessing it will be a more expensive than the ACE kit.
Paul from Birmingham, UK
Now living in Barnsley.

dknights
Godzilla

June 2nd, 2016, 2:37 am #3

The detail looks very nice on the kit.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: Tamiya A6M2
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40

Glen44444
Beast

June 4th, 2016, 2:37 am #4

Not exactly Cent week.

For years now, braille scale modellers have been asking manufacturers to give us a series of centurions which was finally answered by Gordon Brown from Cromwell Models a couple of years ago.

Expensive and hard to come by with no instructions or decals and all resin with the problems associated with that, and a good deal of clean up required around the inside of the tracks and suspention, even though there are few separate parts I wouldn't call it an easy build.

The Ace kit on the other hand, although Tim hasn't shown it yet, no matter how hard it is to put together and he says it goes together well, will be cheaper, easier to get, is all plastic and has decals and is being done in the same models as that by Cromwell.

No, It's not Cent week, just the arrival at long last of a series of excellent kits from an excellent manufacturer.

Thank you Ace!!!
Glen P (The Braille scale old Fart)
Then a big Turkish shell knocked me arse over ead, an when I awoke in me ospital bed, an seen what it'd done I whished I was dead, never new there were worse things than dyin.
Eric Bogle.

Timmay!
Hero

June 4th, 2016, 9:05 pm #5

Thanks for the kind remarks gentlemen and all of you that are following this. This is a very nice model, but that being said it is not perfect. There are a couple of places to watch out for.

First up. with so many parts in the hull something will inevitably create a fit issue. The best way to get this thing together is this sequence. Take the bottom plate B-15 and glue the two bulkheads B-18 in place and vertical. next build up the rear plate D-19. The plate has to be bent in two places and glue to it the three D-29s. Let these two assemblies kind of set up. I use MEK so the wait is not long. Take the sides E-3 and E-4 and clean them up. It helps if you remove the witness lines from all the parts. Believe it makes a difference as the tolerances are pretty tight. Now glue the sides to the bottom plates only. Do not glue them to the bulkheads at this time. Make sure you have removed the witness lines from part D-19 and glue in at this time. After you have glued all the joints reinforce them with a little tape to hold everything in place while everything sets up. If your kit is lkie mine you will see that part D-19 is going to interfere with the installation of part D-17. Clean up Part D-17 and set aside for a little while.

Clean up the hull top pieces D-20, D-18, E-12, and D-22. At this time just remove the witness lines and what little flash there is. Set aside. This clean up of parts should have let the lower hull parts set up. Back to part D-17. Using part D-17 as a guide sand the assembly involving D-19 and D-29s until part D-17 slides into the two grooves on the inside of the rear of the hull sides and locks into place and apply cement. This is pretty critical. It is the foundation the rest of the model builds upon.

Now take and clean up turret components C-5, C-6, C-20, C-22, and G-10. Once cleaned up glue them together and set aside to set up a little. You can also clean up whichever turret top your going to use and use it to line everthing up.

Now take part D-20 and offer it up to the turret assembly and see how well it all fits. Trim and sand everything until the turret revolves freely. Now we come to the next really critical part. There is a lip on the front of D-20 that is mated to a lip upon D-18. Remove the lip from D-20. No more. The first piece that is glue to the hull assembly is D-20. Then glue in D-22. This will give a good strong square assembly. Remove the lip from the rear of D-18. set aside. Using parts D-18 and E-12 remove just enough material form both until you achieve a slight friction fit and glue in place.

The turret should spin a full 360 degrees if you follow this method. I sure will follow it on my next one. The benefit of hindsight. You can use the turret to judge just how much you can remove from part D-20.

Last critical point is in attaching assemblies E the the track adjustments at the front of the lower hull. they should line up with the top edge of B-15 and the fartherest outside edge of B-15. If you don't you might end up like me installing some spacers in order to make the idlers line up with the rest of the suspension.All this took about 3 hours to make.

Now for a couple of more pictures of added detail. Paint is not far away.

Tim Treadway

Timmay!
Hero

June 6th, 2016, 8:51 pm #6

Where did the time go. Major construction is done. Some things like the mufflers will have to be painted separately and added after the rest of the model is painted. Bad or good news depending upon your point of view,the tracks are just a hair long. It probably can be taken up with sag if you want to leave the dust skirts off. I foolishly stretched a set before test fitting, and I will probably have to take out a couple of links. So the advice here is don't stretch them. Good news is that they respond well to super glue. I also heat bonded them just to make sure they are stuck.

You will notice in the pictures that the running boards are on. They are just sitting there and are not glued on. Clearance is so tight between the return rollers and the running boards that the tracks are best put upon the model before the running boards are attached. In the photo the running boards are resting upon the tracks. Almost snapped into place.

On to the photos. Painting starts tomorrow. Hope you enjoy. Timmay!

Tim Treadway

walrus
Godzilla
walrus
Godzilla

June 6th, 2016, 11:28 pm #7

Ever wondered why kit makers don't advertise on the telly?
Why go to the trouble and expense when you have people that buy your wares do the marketing for you! :lol:

Good stuff Timmay
Paul from Birmingham, UK
Now living in Barnsley.

Glen44444
Beast

June 7th, 2016, 5:03 am #8

At last, a Centurion appears.

What a great looking model. Keep up the good work Tim.

One question though, you talk about Witness lines? I've never heard of these before. I assume you mean mould seem lines. please correct me if I'm wrong.
Then a big Turkish shell knocked me arse over ead, an when I awoke in me ospital bed, an seen what it'd done I whished I was dead, never new there were worse things than dyin.
Eric Bogle.

Timmay!
Hero

June 7th, 2016, 9:50 pm #9

I picked up the term witness lines a long time ago from Bill Gould. Front man for the Gould Company, a model railroad company that produced incredible injection molded railway equipment that is still available today under the Tichy label. He also cut molds for others in the model rr field. You say tomato.....Timmay!
Tim Treadway

dknights
Godzilla

June 8th, 2016, 3:52 am #10

What markings is she going to be in?
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: Tamiya A6M2
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40

Timmay!
Hero

June 8th, 2016, 12:45 pm #11

I am going to use the kit markings. Both are the 8th Irish Hussars in Korea in 1950. Mine will be the second choice on the instructions, Lily.
Tim Treadway

Timmay!
Hero

June 9th, 2016, 9:10 pm #12

Okay... Got some paint on. Running gear and tracks painted and weathered. Tracks put on and then the dust skirts and the running boards. Paint is Tamiya mix from a formula by Mike Starmer for Dark Bronze Green. Should be able to get the green finished up and glossed tonight. Decals and weathering tomorrow. Hope you enjoy. Timmay!

Tim Treadway

Timmay!
Hero

June 10th, 2016, 1:53 pm #13

Paint is on. I did a rough modulation with the DBG. Then I covered the whole tank with gloss in prep for the decals and a pin wash. After that will come a flat coat some drybrushing and a lot of dust and grime. I got to this point at about 10:30 last night. Hope you enjoy. Timmay!

A shot in B&W just for the heck of it.

Tim Treadway

Timmay!
Hero

June 12th, 2016, 8:24 pm #14

well the stickers and a pin wash are done. Let the weathering commence. cameras are great. They don't lie. They show all the mistakes. I see I have a few things to fix while the weathering is going on. Overall it has been a fun build. No major hurdles just a few things to watch out for. Here are a few photos before the final weathering. Hope you enjoy. Timmay!

Tim Treadway

dixieflyer
Godzilla

June 15th, 2016, 2:02 pm #15

It looks great!

Warren
"History is the lie we all agree upon."

Timmay!
Hero

June 15th, 2016, 9:51 pm #16

Thanks Warren. Here are a few more with the weathering in progress. Hope you enjoy. Timmay!

Tim Treadway

Glen44444
Beast

June 16th, 2016, 6:21 am #17

I love it Tim but I notice you haven't fitted the tow cables. Are they a problem or you just haven't got around to it yet.

Have you seen Victor Kestinin's model on ML. It make an interesting contrast with your's considering He's modelled the same vehicle. Actually, I prefer yours.
Eric Bogle.

Timmay!
Hero

June 16th, 2016, 1:20 pm #18

Hello Glen;

No problem with the tow cables. I had lost the retainer and had to scratchbuild a new one. Tow cables are on now. I also wanted to add the cables close to the end of things so they did not get in the way. A few things to make and some stowage to paint and this one will be done. Photos later.

I have seen Victor's and it is a nice model. A different interpretation is all. Thanks for the kind remarks. Timmay!
Tim Treadway

Timmay!
Hero

June 25th, 2016, 6:32 pm #19

Almost there. Here are a couple of shots before the final flat and dust coat. Need to finish the base as well. I'll see if I can get this posted before the damn signal drops out again. Hope you enjoy. Timmay!

Tim Treadway

walrus
Godzilla
walrus
Godzilla

June 25th, 2016, 6:35 pm #20

Paul from Birmingham, UK
Now living in Barnsley.

Big Kohona
Godzilla

June 25th, 2016, 9:11 pm #21

. .

Timmay!
Hero

June 26th, 2016, 2:58 am #22

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. Here is one more where I am trying for a little more depth of field. Timmay!

Tim Treadway

kcocks
kcocks

March 20th, 2018, 10:01 am #23

Dear Tim
I'm a commissioning editor for Pen & Sword Books in the UK. We publish a series called TankCraft and I'm currently putting together the Centurion volume. The books are aimed at modellers and reviews modelling products and showcases different builds too. May I have your permission to use the photographs of the spruces you added to http://acemodel.com.ua/en/model/606 as I believe they really show how versatile this ACE kit is. You may email me at kerrincocks@gmail.com.
I would be most grateful.
Kind regards
Kerrin

Timmay!
Hero

March 20th, 2018, 8:30 pm #24

Thanks Kirren. Email sent. Timmay!
Tim Treadway

RPeck
Beast

March 28th, 2018, 11:56 am #25

That is very nice model.

Timmay!
Hero

April 6th, 2018, 9:23 pm #26

Thank you sir for the kind comment.
Tim Treadway