Albion Rovers - FM style!!!

January 18th, 2011, 10:48 pm #1

We've had Madden franchises, its now time for FM franchises!! We all love a good story about FM, so on this page im goin to document my struggles to take the Rovers to the promised land! I strongly considered starting afresh with the team but we shall continue the story of my current Albion Rovers legend.....

But first a brief overview. Season 2010/11, promotion to the 2nd division without any real difficulty. Season 2011/12, started off well, with 6 wins from 7, before petering out and ending up just above the relegation playoff zone in 8th place. The bad form included a run of 11 games without scoring a goal.

Season 2012/13, in desperate need for a more potent attack i signed 3 strikers, all of whom could have very comfortably played in the 1st division (more on names later). 62 goals later and i romped the division, also helped by a much improved defence.

So here i find myself, in mid july, with what appears a decent squad but stuck in a very challenging division, a 5k wage budget which is easily the smallest in the group, and no reputation to attract decent players. But do i need more players? Meet the team!!

GK - Scott Bain - Scotland U21 goalie, vice captain. Had a slow start in div 3 but is now the rock on which im basing my hopes this year
RB - Alex Nicholson - Decent player, but no real standout. Occassionly gets a game for Wales U21s
DC - Cameron Lindsay - My 1st signing, now a full NZ international
DC - Aaron Key - Just signed this offseason, has the potential to be a top premier league player. Im just hoping he matures fast and justifies the massive £550 per week im paying him
LB - Luke Potter - Another new signing, LB was the weak area last year, im hoping Potter can solve that
RW - Ashley Vincent - Blows hot and cold, but when hes hot hes far better than my next best guy
MC - Rob Scissons - Captain, leader, allround good guy. Has carried the midfield since day one but im wondering where he gets out of his depth
MC - James Berrett - Signed last february after a scout spotted him. His ratings suggest he should walk this year
ML - Ishmael Fofana - Another original signing. Too good even for the 1st division but rarely shows that ability
ST - Wesley Ngo Baheng - I spent 22k to get him from Dumbarton last year, savaging my budget. Only played 15 games due to injury but slamed in 8 goals and 5 assists in that time
ST - Jordy Brower - Last seasons top scorer. Signed as a backup to my other ST but always produces when needed

Notables:

Harry Macguire - DC/DM - My utility player, last years DC alongside Lindsay, may struggle to perform at this level
Daniel Pappoe - DC - No idea how good he is as i never played him much last year as his stats suck, but the scouts rage about him and hes never played bad
Oguzhan 'Oggy' Ozyakup - MC - Drops to he bench with Berretts arrival, but only 19, a Dutch U21, and bags of talent
Adi Yussuff - ST - Another for the future, scored 6 last term despite only being 19 at the time

After that the quality of my squad nosedives, so naturally injuries are a problem. Still moves to be made in the market, with players at RB, MR,ML, and a goalie (i have no reserve) very much needed. Ive still got 1.5k to play with, so im not in great trouble with the wage bill.

The season approaches! In a few weeks time the Rovers will make their 1st step in trying to avoid the drop, but 1st we have 2 cup games, against 3rd Division Clyde in the league cup and 1st division Livingston in the Chalenge Cup.

Expect updates at random and sporadic times. Viva la Rovers!!

January 18th, 2011, 10:59 pm #2

Any tips for me Xorbi? I've tried something like this a few times but I never seem to be able to get a result away from home.

January 18th, 2011, 11:33 pm #3

I dont think theres much real strategy to it. I rarely tell my squad anything other than 'Wish them luck' when its an away game, but i mean if the players arent good enough thenn not much you can do except play a 5-4-1 or something :P i normally like to play my 4-5-1 away but since ive managed to get a great set of strikers im testing out being more offensive this time

:::::Mini update::::

Albion 1-0 Livingston :towel: 1st test against a 1st division side and we coped just about. Drawn away to East Fife in the 2nd round

Albion 3-0 Clyde. Clyde suck so meh...Up away to premier league Raith Rovers, little chance of getting through that one

January 30th, 2011, 9:04 pm #4

Season Update 20th September 2013

Transfers - Reputation still an issue:

Had real trouble finding players to fill out my 18 man squad. Loan attempts fell on deaf ears and eventually i had to pick up players of lesser quality. I did sign a potential player at LM though, but i dont anticipate playing him much this year. I also picked up an ex Chelsea striker, valued at 60k. If he doesnt impress i can see him becoming free cash

Challenge Cup - Onwards!!!!

East Fife were brushed aside 3-1 without much difficulties. In the quarters's it was away to Ayr with a much bigger challenge. the team was flat but heading into extra time they gave one last push and a 109th minute goal sees us into the semis. With a home tie against Berwick its a great chance to reach our 1st final under my reign

League Cup - Heartbreak!!:

Away to Premier League Raith Rovers, we never had much of a chance, but somehow we found ourselves 1-1 at 90mins, then it went to penalties!! Sadly we lost 4-3 but it was a great effort from the boys

1st Division - A mixed bag

Through 6 games we find ourseves incredibly in 2nd place! A 2-1 loss to Ross County was followed by a 90th minute winner against Killie. Another away loss to Falkirk followed before BOOM!! A 3-0 home win over QOTS before an incredible 6-3 victory over Dumfermline, 4-2 at the half :lol: A win over bottom placed Morton folllowed as we continue to punch well above our weight

Notable player news.....

Ngo Baheng has 9 goals already this season, having played in 11 games. 22k, didnt waste a penny ;)
Rob Sissons find himself on the outside looking in. he hasnt played bad but Farah has came in and been on fire! The doubts are increasing though as to whether Sissons can handle the 1st division

January 30th, 2011, 9:05 pm #5

Season Update 20th September 2013

Transfers - Reputation still an issue:

Had real trouble finding players to fill out my 18 man squad. Loan attempts fell on deaf ears and eventually i had to pick up players of lesser quality. I did sign a potential player at LM though, but i dont anticipate playing him much this year. I also picked up an ex Chelsea striker, valued at 60k. If he doesnt impress i can see him becoming free cash

Challenge Cup - Onwards!!!!

East Fife were brushed aside 3-1 without much difficulties. In the quarters's it was away to Ayr with a much bigger challenge. the team was flat but heading into extra time they gave one last push and a 109th minute goal sees us into the semis. With a home tie against Berwick its a great chance to reach our 1st final under my reign

League Cup - Heartbreak!!:

Away to Premier League Raith Rovers, we never had much of a chance, but somehow we found ourselves 1-1 at 90mins, then it went to penalties!! Sadly we lost 4-3 but it was a great effort from the boys

1st Division - A mixed bag

Through 6 games we find ourseves incredibly in 2nd place! A 2-1 loss to Ross County was followed by a 90th minute winner against Killie. Another away loss to Falkirk followed before BOOM!! A 3-0 home win over QOTS before an incredible 6-3 victory over Dumfermline, 4-2 at the half :lol: A win over bottom placed Morton folllowed as we continue to punch well above our weight

Notable player news.....

Ngo Baheng has 9 goals already this season, having played in 11 games. 22k, didnt waste a penny ;)
Rob Sissons find himself on the outside looking in. he hasnt played bad but Farah has came in and been on fire! The doubts are increasing though as to whether Sissons can handle the 1st division

February 1st, 2011, 6:54 pm #6

February 1st - 2014

Challenge Cup - CHAMPIONS!!!!

It took penalties to despatch Berwick, but we headed into the final vs Brechin on the back of strong form. It was a great start from the lads, leading 2-0 at the break thanks to Brower and Ngo Baheng. We werent quite as good after the break, with them getting 1 back after 70 minutes but the team saw it through to my first Cup success!!!!

Scottish Cup - No chance of progression?

Weve had two easy games so far, at home vs Ayr and Clyde, but we are rewarded with an home tie against SPL side St Mirren next week. I cant see another upset happening anytime soon.

1st Division - Am i dreaming?

9 wins and 1 draw from our last 10 games sees us top of the table, 2 ahead of Falkirk!! What started as a struggle for survival now sees us in with a great chance of reaching the SPL. Half of me want to go up, the other half is worried about getting squashed with a poor budget and no reputation, our 1238 seater stadiums already at capacity every week and we cant afford to upgrade anything so wheres the extra money going to come from?

Transfer window - Have i gone mad?

It all started in mid December, my RB Nicholson, who has been a hero all year, came to me asking for a transfer on the back of speculation linking him to some poor Championship sides <_< As i was in 4th back then and there was the possibility of some serious cash i decided to honour his request and during January he became a Hamilton player for 60k and a 25% sell on clause. Problem is i couldnt attract another RB to the side of anywhere near in quality, and find myself playing my backup RB Sounders, who has been ok but is easily the weak part of my team at a time where im challenging for the title.

In other news my 60k rated Chelsea striker is gash, and a virus in the squad to boot. I whored him out for 30k but no buyers so he finds himself in the reserves, where he hopefully wont ruin team morale

My intake of players equated to a few 16 year olds, none of which is good enough to start, and a backup 17 year old goalie, who would easily be starting if Bain was not already a great goalie.

Player News

Im having to cope with not being able to offer Harry Mcguire a new contract. He wanted 500 a week, and after tying down Ngo and Lindsay to long term deals i cant justify that cash for a utility player, and sure enough hes signed a pre contract elsewhere. My other players nearing out of contract status are no one major so expect me to have a 12 team squad come the summer :lol:

Ngo Baheng - 22 goals from 32 games :)
Rob Sissons - Now injured for 3 months and firmly on the bench. Ibrahim Farah (my welsh wizard) has been a star in the midfield earning U21 plaudits and has been unreplaceable. Worries are starting to arise about possible captaincy issues....
Cam Lindsay - Been great this year, but only managed 17 games with INT call ups, spent about half the season away. Thinking i need to have a word with the NZ heads as its becoming a bit of a joke now
Last edited by Xorbi on February 1st, 2011, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 1st, 2011, 8:13 pm #7

I'm bookmarking this thread!

Does FM include the stadium requirements for the SPL or does it let you play with a tiny stadium?

February 1st, 2011, 8:58 pm #8

If it does im going to be pretty cross if/when i get promoted :lol: but no way i can stick around in the premier league if i cant have at least a 4000 seater

February 2nd, 2011, 7:45 pm #9

26 July 2014 - Yes the games took over my life the last few days :lol:

1st Division - Great Effort

As expected my decision to sell my star RB came back to haunt me, we kept losing late goals, turning wins into draws, draws into losses. Maybe it was a bit of tiredness from the team aswell but the title challenge petered out with Falkirk winning by about 15 points. We still came in 2nd though, a magnificent achievement with great financial rewards

Player of the Year? - Plus other news

Can only be Ngo Baheng, who rattled in 20 goals this year
Rob Sissons only managed to get on the pitch 7 times this year, and suffered another serious injury. It will be suprising for him to retain the captaincy next year

New Stadium? Thanks for asking my opinion....

Just after the season finished i got an email from ol' Frankie. Apparantly were getting a new stadium :towel: no idea how big but after investments etc its going to cost 18k a month until 2029 to pay off the debts, meaning we will be running at a big loss most of next year till we can get bigger attendances, this will affect the transfer budget no doubt....

The Transfer Window - Harry mk2

Out:
Harry Macguire + 8 other players, none of which ive mentioned and only 2 ever got near the team, all released after their contracts ended
Daniel Pappoe - Dundee for 35k - Good offer for my #4 DC, effectively 5 aswell with Potter being able to play inside
Total: 10 players left for 35k

In: Transfer budget - 9k, Wage budget - 6k
Craig Henderson - RB - Free - Looking to the future with this boy
Craig Woodman - LB - Free - Can challenge for a start, allowing Potter to possibly move inside to his best position
David Buckley - RB - Free - Another good player, taking a flyer on the potential
Adam Henley - RB - Free - My new starter at RB, the main problem position (hence why i signed so many) has 11 U21 caps for Wales and as good a player as Nicholson was
David Page - D/DM/M - Free - My new Utility player, good ratings but hes going to struggle to get a game in the squad
Steven Smith - DC - Free - Probably going to replace Key in the lineup
Steven Simmons - DM - Free - At 32 becomes my oldest player, holding he will help Berrets progression
Craig Donnelly - MC - Loan from Raith - 16 years old, with the potential to have the world at his feet. Already would cost 500k so im hoping taking him on loan for a while might make him more happy to sign a pre-contract next year
Joel Ingham - ST - Adi Yousef didnt improve last year, meaning i only have 2 good strikers on the books. Ingham was the best i could do

Annnnnnnddd probably my 1st major signing for the club, perhaps a couple of people may havee heard of him, thats enough for me :lol:

Dany N'Guessan - RM - Free - An absolutee steal at 400 a week!!!!!!

The new team

GK - Scott Bain - Now becomes captain, was brilliant last year
RB - Adam Henley - Fills the problem position
DC - Cameron Lindsay - Hopefully NZ will lay off him a bit, has been given vice-captaincy
DC - Steven Smith - Will start but nothing between him and Key
LB - Luke Potter - Will probably end up moving inside at some point, as he is my best defender
RM - Dany N'Guessan - MILES better than the inconsistent Vincent
MC - Ibrahim Farah - Almost got the vice-captaincy, now my best rated centre-mid
MC - James Bennett - Didnt improve last year, now has pressure on the position
LM - Ishmael Fofana - 15 assists last year, finally starting to perform consistently
ST - Wesley Ngo Baheng - No competition, my favourite player
ST - Jordy Brouwer - Got a few goals last year, needing more from him

My bench is looking far stronger this year, with Key, Vincent, Ingham, Donnelly amongst others all fighting for 1st team shots

To the new season!!!

I still need a reserve at LM, and probaly another Striker, but sadly im now very near the 6k limit so not much i can do. The aim for this year is to again challenge for thee title, the team is miles better this year but another good performance is what id be happy with. Until theen we look forward to our big new stadium come July next year

1st up we have a Challenge cup game vs Airdrie, big derby! And our 1st step on the way to defending our title!! Lets do this!!

February 2nd, 2011, 7:57 pm #10

Xorbi wrote: 26 July 2014 - Yes the games took over my life the last few days :lol:

It'll do that :lol:

Getting bored of constant domination with Arsenal, think i'll start a new game with a mid-table Prem team. Liverpool maybe ;)