WW2 Casualties and Aircraft loses

WW2 Casualties and Aircraft loses

July 1st, 2012, 3:38 pm #1

Does anyone know a website where you can search a database or download a database for ww2 raf casualties etc so i can find out who was one each plane when it crashed etc.

July 2nd, 2012, 3:38 pm #2

The best resource is the set of books by Bill Chorley and others. They are titled Bomber Command losses, Fighter Command losses etc, but are not available online. If you have any particular crews/aircraft/dates in mind, I or others can look them up.

Alternatively, do a search for the 'RAF Commands forum', and ask on there. Some very knowledgible folk as members...

July 2nd, 2012, 6:14 pm #3

Link to the site is at the top of the page

July 7th, 2012, 9:34 pm #4

The best resource is the set of books by Bill Chorley and others. They are titled Bomber Command losses, Fighter Command losses etc, but are not available online. If you have any particular crews/aircraft/dates in mind, I or others can look them up.

Alternatively, do a search for the 'RAF Commands forum', and ask on there. Some very knowledgible folk as members...
I am trying to trace aircraft losses for 15 squadron 24/03/1944. Aircraft possibly a stirling but most likely a Lancaster. The plane I am loking for had a wireless op/gunner James Archibald Sills aboard. aircraft will probably be listed as missing or failed to return. Sills has no known grave.

July 8th, 2012, 9:59 am #5

Lancaster (lll) LM441 LS-T took off from RAF Mildenhall at 1837 0n 24th March 1944 on a raid to Berlin.

It was shot down by flak on it homebound journey and crashed 3 miles north of Bonn.

Four of the crew now rest in Rheinberg War Cemetery and three are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial as no known grave.

The crew were:

F/Lt. W.G.Grove
Sgt. J.A.Johnson
Sgt.A.R.Jackson
F/S.F.G.Holland
P/O.J.A.Sills (MID)
F/S.A.Thompson
P/O.I.Tvrdeich RNZAF

Hope this is of help.

July 8th, 2012, 1:42 pm #6

According to Bill Chorley's book, 'Bomber Command Losses, it crashed three KILOMETRES from Bonn, not three MILES, not that it makes a huge difference unless you are searching for the crash site!

July 8th, 2012, 3:57 pm #7

Lancaster (lll) LM441 LS-T took off from RAF Mildenhall at 1837 0n 24th March 1944 on a raid to Berlin.

It was shot down by flak on it homebound journey and crashed 3 miles north of Bonn.

Four of the crew now rest in Rheinberg War Cemetery and three are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial as no known grave.

The crew were:

F/Lt. W.G.Grove
Sgt. J.A.Johnson
Sgt.A.R.Jackson
F/S.F.G.Holland
P/O.J.A.Sills (MID)
F/S.A.Thompson
P/O.I.Tvrdeich RNZAF

Hope this is of help.
Thankyou. I have J A Sills old B type flying Helmet and I am slowly but surely putting a face to the equipment. I can move on now with this information.

July 11th, 2012, 5:55 pm #8

According to Bill Chorley's book, 'Bomber Command Losses, it crashed three KILOMETRES from Bonn, not three MILES, not that it makes a huge difference unless you are searching for the crash site!
Sorry my mistake, but it was 3K and 35M, how could I get it so wrong!!

Thought he was looking for information about the crew and aircraft and NOT the crash site?

July 11th, 2012, 8:46 pm #9

Well he might be. But even if just writing up the details, best to be accurate, assuming Bill Chorley is.