WPG RAF KD SD uniform

WPG RAF KD SD uniform

May 9th, 2009, 11:05 pm #1

I just got the new WPG RAF KD SD jacket and trousers nicely made good inexpensive outfit for the summer reenaacting!

SPY MkIII

May 10th, 2009, 2:03 am #2

Glenn,

What size did you get? I got the 46L in the tunic and the 42 trousers and they fit great. The only hangup I have right now is trying to find a tailor who is willing to move the pointed cuffs up the arms about 2 inches.

Everybody that I have showed it to so far has said no way after seeing how the sleeve seem is sewn.

I have three more leads, one being the tailor that is close to the National Guard and Reserve base here. I am hoping that since it is a uniform, they will be willing to work on it

Money is no object.

I will chase down the leads on Monday and if I can't find anybody to do it, then I will just have 4" points instead of 6" points and I will avoid the inspector general by holding my hands behind my back the way Alex does in his photo....

Time is running out for EK.

Also, when the sleeves are hemmed, is it ok to see the stiching on the outside? I can't see how it can be done any other way. Unlike a normal tunic, there is no lining that it would normally be sewn to and since there is no rank braid on the cuffs, the hemmed seam can not be hidden underneath the braid.

cheers

May 10th, 2009, 10:42 pm #3

I'd just keep it British and wear RCAF wing it's not worth the hassle!

Just a thought!

Get the book:"Khaki Drill & Jungle Green British tropical uniforms 1939-45
Martin J. Brayley & Richard Ingram

Great overall photo reference book! a Keeper!

May 10th, 2009, 11:18 pm #4

Chris

Have a look at the photo I postedhttp://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/m ... r+uniforms

The uniform 3rd left is Drill, shows the stitching.

May 11th, 2009, 12:13 am #5

Glenn,

What size did you get? I got the 46L in the tunic and the 42 trousers and they fit great. The only hangup I have right now is trying to find a tailor who is willing to move the pointed cuffs up the arms about 2 inches.

Everybody that I have showed it to so far has said no way after seeing how the sleeve seem is sewn.

I have three more leads, one being the tailor that is close to the National Guard and Reserve base here. I am hoping that since it is a uniform, they will be willing to work on it

Money is no object.

I will chase down the leads on Monday and if I can't find anybody to do it, then I will just have 4" points instead of 6" points and I will avoid the inspector general by holding my hands behind my back the way Alex does in his photo....

Time is running out for EK.

Also, when the sleeves are hemmed, is it ok to see the stiching on the outside? I can't see how it can be done any other way. Unlike a normal tunic, there is no lining that it would normally be sewn to and since there is no rank braid on the cuffs, the hemmed seam can not be hidden underneath the braid.

cheers
Chris,
I looked at a few of my KD jackets. The pointed cuffs are attached to the inside of the lower sleeve and then top-sewn into position.

For a tailor worth their salt, it should be a pretty easy modification.

- You'll need to remove the pointed cuffs.
- Shorten the sleeves but remember to adjust the taper so the new attach points are the same diameter as the original wrist opening.
- reattach the cuff to the inside of the lower sleeve and then top-sew the pointed part into place.

Other than ensuring the shortened sleeve maintains the same taper, this is actually something you could do yourself.

May 11th, 2009, 12:48 am #6

I believe the difficulty originates from the difference in construction between pukka and reproductions. Pukka ones, the cuff is full length then folded up, unlike therse repros, whose constructions is rather different

May 11th, 2009, 5:00 am #7

Chris K.

It appears that yours is the solution. I just assume pay somebody to do it as I am running out of time. I leave for England in 9 days.

Are you able to take orders yet?

I have about $240 worth of stuff to order....sweaters, parachute bags, chevrons, etc....

I will need a pair of Canada shoulders in khaki pretty quick.

Balmoral oxfords are on the way....

Which shirt at Tesco's for officer's temperate uniform? I need to pick up a couple whilst there.....

Steve C., this KD TSD is pretty nice. I understand what you are saying but it is the best I have seen so far from WPG and I have moved about $2500 worth of stuff through my hands (smuggling it into the EU GST and VAT free for my mates).....

theotherChris

May 11th, 2009, 6:28 am #8

Just a thought!

I am looking for the book now.... Thanks for the tip.

theotherChris

May 11th, 2009, 6:37 am #9

Just a thought!

Glenn,

You must have the 2000 publication in hardbound. It looks like it is being published again with a July 15, 2009 publication date by Motorbooks International.

The best prices seem to be on www.bookfinder.com unless I buy it in England and pick it up from a mate when I am there in a week and a half. I think that is what I will do. I would rather have it hardbound.

theotherChris

May 11th, 2009, 8:57 pm #10

Chris K.

It appears that yours is the solution. I just assume pay somebody to do it as I am running out of time. I leave for England in 9 days.

Are you able to take orders yet?

I have about $240 worth of stuff to order....sweaters, parachute bags, chevrons, etc....

I will need a pair of Canada shoulders in khaki pretty quick.

Balmoral oxfords are on the way....

Which shirt at Tesco's for officer's temperate uniform? I need to pick up a couple whilst there.....

Steve C., this KD TSD is pretty nice. I understand what you are saying but it is the best I have seen so far from WPG and I have moved about $2500 worth of stuff through my hands (smuggling it into the EU GST and VAT free for my mates).....

theotherChris
I found a tailor right near Ft. Snelling that does military uniforms and the marines' alpha service uniform has pointed cuffs

so the little oriental lady knew how do do them up correctly. "25 dorrar". Hemming two pairs of trousers for "19 dorrar" and then redoing the bush jacket belt with a real RAF buckle with two new prong holes and three button holes/buttons (to make the buckle removeable for cleaning the jacket, polishing the buckle, and enabling use of the buckle on other tunics) on the KD TSD to hold a real RAF buckle for "23 dorrar". Apparently one dorrar = one dollar as they took my money. The stuff will be ready in time for me to wear it at EK.

Hiawatha Alterations is the place and they can be googled.