Wiring a C-carbon mic (to make it an E-carbon....)

Wiring a C-carbon mic (to make it an E-carbon....)

February 1st, 2010, 7:44 pm #1

Can anyone tell me how to wire up a c-carbon mic? I managed to find one at the weekend in better condition than my previous one (I'm not selling my other one though) and it has no loom, apart from a small section of the original wiring which is still attached.

I firstly need to find the correct type of wiring loom (if anyone knows of any going then I'm game), but when I do could someone advise me on the way to go about wiring it? I haven't the foggiest idea how to do it!

Cheers

Ben

February 1st, 2010, 8:28 pm #2

Ben, when I got my Type 19 there was about 3 inches of loom still attached which I removed so that I could put a new chamois on (as you recall mine had no chamois at all). I kept it to show me how to wire it all back up which worked fine.

I might have an illustration somewhere from an AP, Im sure I have one for the Type 19.

As for the loom, I have a chocolate colour external loom, although looking at the condition of the mic you really want a loom thats used and goes well with the condition of the mic rather than a new minty one.

February 2nd, 2010, 7:33 am #3

In comparing the mic to my other one, it really is a lot cleaner. A minty one could look a bit off, but I'd definately be looking for a clean loom. However, I'd prefer to attempt to find the 'type-f' loom that Neil described in a thread, as that is deemed to proper wiring-loom for this mic. As you say though, I'll look at the end of the loom that's present as that could tell me what the original loom was like.

February 2nd, 2010, 9:40 am #4

Ben

Ive never come across a type F loom for sale (and rarely on a helmet unless an early set up). You'll need some twine to attach the loom to the small metal holding plate too.

February 2nd, 2010, 10:41 am #5

you could use a Q type loom and bind the unused wire to the loom to keep it out of the way. My type 28 carbon mic is wired up that way. Though I am guessing you would prefer to find the the F type?

February 2nd, 2010, 4:30 pm #6

Hi Ben,
If you do manage to find a Type F; that will be a bonus. But a Type Q is perfectly acceptable, and even described so in the relevant AP, that I mention in my post regarding looms. You would just have to bind the central ground wire to the loom, leaving two leads to connect to the mic.
As far as wiring up a C carbon mic:
There are two screws securing the mic to the bell housing , one at the top (which also secures the switch locking plate) and one at the bottom of the housing, (which also secures the angled bracket to hold the loom in place with binding).
First remove both screws and carefully release the mic/switch from the housing. (the lower part of the mic swings out first). There would be sufficient length of loom to allow the switch to be pulled out to reveal the two terminals on the mic/switch.
The loom is attached to the mic on the front of the mic body by two little screws.
To connect the loom: first thread the loom through the lower angled bracket and pass the loom through the hole in the bell housing. Connect the red lead to the +VE and the blue (or green) lead to the VE terminal and secure to the mic by the aforementioned little screws. Then the mic/switch is pushed back into the bell housing and re-secured by the two screws, at top and bottom. Dont forget to reattach the lower bracket with the same screw.
A WORD OF WARNING BEFORE YOU PROCEED. The screws may be stuck so you should take care to apply a little solution to penetrate to screw threads. Apply trace amounts of WD-40 from the rear of the housing, close to wear the screws fasten the mic. Take lots of time and care to take the mic apart.
Good luck.
Neil.

February 2nd, 2010, 4:37 pm #7

Thanks for the gen gents. Looking at the attached loom, it looks as though the ground wire has been tied around the main body of the loom with the twine. So if this is true, I am not overly fussed about what type of loom I get, so long as it has the fully rounded cords. This won't be happening until I find a suitable loom, so I should be able to think about this for a while.

Cheers

Ben

February 2nd, 2010, 4:50 pm #8

I have a used Q type loom with the fully rounded cords but it is a bit tatty, and might not be suitable for your needs. If you are interested send me an email.

Jb

February 2nd, 2010, 5:32 pm #9

Do I have your e-mail JB? I think I do, so I'll look and see. I am interested, but I am pretty much skint at the moment (and maybe in debt :O ) so I may not be able to buy it at the present. I case I can't find your e-mail, I have attached mine (click my name).

Cheers

Ben

February 2nd, 2010, 5:38 pm #10

I have a used Q type loom with the fully rounded cords but it is a bit tatty, and might not be suitable for your needs. If you are interested send me an email.

Jb
E-mail sent (NT)