Windak & Taylor Suit items wanted - Any era

Windak & Taylor Suit items wanted - Any era

January 9th, 2012, 5:25 pm #1

Whilst I myself am no longer collecting, I have a client who has a very personal interest in Windak made items, no matter what they may be. Likewise, any of the various RAF items bearing the "Taylor" name such as the buoyancy suits, partial pressure gear etc.

If anyone has any such items for sale (original pictures and sales material etc. would also be of interest), I would be grateful if they would get in touch:

skypilot62ATmanxDOTnet

Regards to all.

January 9th, 2012, 6:32 pm #2

January 10th, 2012, 3:16 pm #3

Thank you Alex, that's a good start. I tried eBay first off but had no joy. Pays to keep checking. Still interested in al other relevant items, incuding the buoyancy suit in case this one is not deemed suitable.

April 23rd, 2012, 11:03 am #4

Hi guys. I have acquired a few items bearing Windak labels (bootees, gloves, post-war combi flying suit) but still eager to find more, especially a Taylor Buoyancy Suit and a Partial Pressure helmet. I've had no joy finding either for sale although it seems some have been sold in the past 12 months or so.

I currently work as a pilot for Dr John C Taylor OBE whose father, Eric Taylor invented the buoyancy suit and was owner/founder of Windak and the "Taylor" of "Baxter Woodhouse & Taylor". Sadly little in the way of archives remains and no artifacts whatsoever so John is very keen to purchase examples of his father's work.

John himself worked for his father's companies for a time (in particular on the pressure helmet) before setting up his own business as an inventor and designing the cordless kettle amonst other things. He also invented the Chronophage clock on display at Corpus Christi Collge in Cambridge.

Any leads would be hugely appreciated.

Email contact: DeanATjohnctaylor.com

April 23rd, 2012, 1:04 pm #5

not sure what your budget is for a taylor suit but I saw one on this website:

http://www.tigercollectibles.co.uk/onli ... .aspx?id=N

about ten items down the list.

Jb

April 23rd, 2012, 2:17 pm #6

That's great JB - on to it as we speak.

I have access to Eric Taylor's diaries and it's fascinating reading of the development of items that have long been languishing previously in my own collection.

Hi on the "wants" list are the Taylor partial-pressure helmet and suit, a Taylor Suit as mentioned by JB and an example of a Windak AM marked Denison smock. I only know of one example but it is not for sale.

April 23rd, 2012, 6:50 pm #7

April 24th, 2012, 9:03 am #8

You're a cruel man!

I trawl the net periodically to see if anything has appeared on the market and every time this listing pops up I get all excited and then realise it's sold.

One day....!

April 25th, 2012, 8:12 am #9

Just missed out on the Tiger Collectibles Taylor Suit by a couple of days.
So, still on the hunt for one or any other items.

Thus far I have been able to obtain:

Electrically wired bootees
Black, wired D-type inner gloves
Post-war 1952 dated Taylor-type suit (Windak manufactured) - Navy blue with hood and woolen cuffs. Shackleton crew?
Air Gunner hood (imminent)

Anything else not on the list would be of great interest.

January 8th, 2013, 3:19 pm #10

I have now been able to secure an almost mint wartime Taylor suit from a very helpful chap in Sweden and also a virtually mint unused Type E Partial Pressure helmet.

I am still after any of the electrically heated waistcoat or liner inners for flying suits. I once owned abot 30 of the things and sold them off years ago via David Farnsworth!

Also, any other "Windak" or "Baxter Woodhouse Taylor" marked items - wartime or post-war.

Thanks so much for the help so far.