Who's this pilot?

Who's this pilot?

December 9th, 2008, 5:40 pm #1

Can anyone tell me who this pilot is-he seems familiar: (?)

December 9th, 2008, 6:11 pm #2

December 9th, 2008, 6:39 pm #3

I thought it might be Peter Brothers-it looks like him, but I always believed he had a type 19 microphone and different luxor goggles. Thanks for the info, if anyone has any more pictures of Brothers in uniform with headgear then I'd be very much obliged as 32 squadron is among my favourite hurricane squadrons. Also I have a painting that is paired with a book about the wreck of the hurricane (DT-something is it's code) which is in the BoB hangar at Hendon; and Brothers among others has signed the painting.

Regards,

Ben

December 9th, 2008, 7:30 pm #4

Glad to be of some assistance Ben.

I have a picture, from a 1940 magazine, entitled "They shot down 17 Nazi planes in half-an-hour" it includes Brothers along with three other pilots one of which I think I recognise as Keith Gillman.

Interesting what you say regarding the goggles and microphone as this picture has 4 portraits of the pilots but they are all wearing the exact same helmet, 'luxor' goggles and mask! Likely as not they just passed it on for the next guy as their photo was taken.

Unfortunately the picture is in a frame, so scanning it wouldn't be easy, but I will try and take a digital photo of it to post here in due course.

Cheers

Michael

December 9th, 2008, 7:32 pm #5

I thought it might be Peter Brothers-it looks like him, but I always believed he had a type 19 microphone and different luxor goggles. Thanks for the info, if anyone has any more pictures of Brothers in uniform with headgear then I'd be very much obliged as 32 squadron is among my favourite hurricane squadrons. Also I have a painting that is paired with a book about the wreck of the hurricane (DT-something is it's code) which is in the BoB hangar at Hendon; and Brothers among others has signed the painting.

Regards,

Ben
Hi Ben,
Yes, Peter Brothers.
In this book you will find that photo of Brothers and Smythe with Smythe's torn B-Helmet.
Most of the photos seem to be from Brothers' personal album. There's a great photo of Brothers pre-war briefing fellow pilots. They all have B-Helmets, E Carbon mics and Prestige white flying suits.
You may have missed my post to the other thread about this.
Cheers
Neil

December 9th, 2008, 7:35 pm #6

Glad to be of some assistance Ben.

I have a picture, from a 1940 magazine, entitled "They shot down 17 Nazi planes in half-an-hour" it includes Brothers along with three other pilots one of which I think I recognise as Keith Gillman.

Interesting what you say regarding the goggles and microphone as this picture has 4 portraits of the pilots but they are all wearing the exact same helmet, 'luxor' goggles and mask! Likely as not they just passed it on for the next guy as their photo was taken.

Unfortunately the picture is in a frame, so scanning it wouldn't be easy, but I will try and take a digital photo of it to post here in due course.

Cheers

Michael
Thank s for your help Michael, I have seen that newspaper aritcle in Hawkinge BoB museum and it would support what you say of the helmet being passed around. I think that this was one of the reasons I dismissed P.Brothers for being the pilot in the picture I linked to.

Thanks

Ben

December 9th, 2008, 7:43 pm #7

Hi Ben,
Yes, Peter Brothers.
In this book you will find that photo of Brothers and Smythe with Smythe's torn B-Helmet.
Most of the photos seem to be from Brothers' personal album. There's a great photo of Brothers pre-war briefing fellow pilots. They all have B-Helmets, E Carbon mics and Prestige white flying suits.
You may have missed my post to the other thread about this.
Cheers
Neil
No Neil I saw it! I followed that link to Amazon and then to the CD I pictured. I thought it funny that Brothers, although flying spits after the BoB, was pictured in a spitfire book! Although books do get things wrong-as I'll point out to you when I e-mail that photo I promised. I tried sending it last night, but it took 30 minutes and then told me it was too large! So I'll try re-sizing it tonight if I have time.

~S~

Ben

December 10th, 2008, 1:31 am #8

Can anyone tell me who this pilot is-he seems familiar: (?)
A reporter and some press boys went to Hawkinge during the early stages of the Battle and took a stash of photos that day. They're some of the finest taken. I think (having read the B of B Then and Now) that the B type used was Keith Gillman's and they simply shared that around for the photos. If you think about it, it's not that surprising as their flying hats were usually left on the windscreen of their own aircraft parked around the airfield perimeter, in case of a quick take off...scramble....the photos don't show it very clearly but every day could well have been their last....and in fact Keith Gillman was killed just a few days/weeks after these incredible photos were taken.
So Keith and his flying hat are somewhere in the Channel....resting in peace I hope.

cheers,
Andy.

December 10th, 2008, 3:26 pm #9

Hi Andy,
I agree, Fox Photos took some of the best photos taken during the Battle. It is puzzling why they didn't make it to other fighter aerodromes.
Do you know how one can obtain copies of these photos taken at Hawkinge?
I have a fairly recent copy of Aeroplane magazine which has an article about 610 Squadron (DW) which shared Hawkinge with 32 Squadron (GZ). There is a photo of 610 pilots standing, by a Spitfire, in what appears to be recently sprayed yellow 32 patt mae wests. Unfortunately, the photo has been printed in reverse.
I assume this is a Fox photo too.
Cheers
Neil

December 11th, 2008, 12:52 am #10

Hi Neil.

I think your best bet would be to get in touch with the archives section of the Imperial War Museum in London...the one at Hendon.They'd have copies or even the originals. I don't know if they could give you copies (copyright e.t.c.) but they may know what to do......

Give that a shot....

thanks,
Andy.