Whats going on with prices!!!

Whats going on with prices!!!

December 29th, 2006, 1:01 pm #1

I've been collecting WW1 & WW2 flying gear for 8 years now and I don't know if I have missed something but has any collectors out there an explanation as to what is going on with prices at the moment (especially the past couple of months). Nearly 900 pounds for an E* mask & C type, a single G type mask with time to run 400 pounds, Irvin jackets going close to $1000. There is even a guy in New Zealand that has a reserve of $3,500 for an irvin.
A year ago I was buying goggle, mask & helmet sets for 200 pounds and payed 360US for an E* mask with C helmet.
Is it the proposed remake of The Dam Busters as Band Of Brothers did for Airborne gear prices?? Go figure. Cheers

December 29th, 2006, 1:17 pm #2

Early masks have always been expensive -- with the Type D masks being prohibitively so. Types E and E* have gone up steadily over the past 5 years or so. Same goes for the G masks.

I wouldn't use eBay as a basis to determine value. Prices at boot sales, estate sales, etc tend to be considerably less. That is, of course, for people who are located in areas where these items are available.

Price spikes due to movies tend to occur after the production is released. This is when newcomers to the hobby tend to make their initial appearances and there's a surge in demand for things. Still way too early to tell if the Band of Brothers effect will be in play or not.

December 29th, 2006, 1:49 pm #3

Recently (in the past 2 months) I've seen some real ebay bargains - I think reflecting the expense that Christmas brings to the home and people having less disposable funds. I don't think there are clear cut-prices as seen in recent discussions. I rate this time of year as being in favour of buyers rather than sellers to be honest.

At the end of the day the "value" is only what people are prepared to pay.

December 29th, 2006, 2:29 pm #4

Its true this time of year is a bit of a bonus to buyers if using ebay. I got a WAAF cap a week or so ago for under £70 with the going rate about £100 plus. A lesser example went on ebay about a month ago for £127.

The prices for flying gear is way too high sometimes, but then again haven't we all paid over the odds sometimes to get something we have wanted for ages, either as an item or in a particular size?

For every £400 G type mask the next will sell for £200 or so. Same with everything else. I often set myself certain limits. If it is something I have wanted for ages and is rare to find, I might go over the odds. With something like a flying helmet, mask, mae west etc, another will always come along. Sometimes they will be better condition, bigger size, or with history, but if you just wan a good example of say, a B Type why go hell for leather and pay £400 for one when you can easily find another and get it at a lower price.

At a fair the other day, a friend of mine who is new to collecting got quite excited at £55 for an RAF Officers side cap. It was nothing special, a bit grubby etc. I advised him against it and so he didn't buy. Another in beautiful condition, with badge and very clean, came up within about three days on ebay at £20 'buy it now'. A much better deal.

There will always be items on ebay (or at fairs) that are unique, or very hard to find, but many items on ebay come up time and time again.

December 29th, 2006, 11:18 pm #5

I totally agree that ebay cannot be a true gauge of prices but unfortunately collecting in Australia usually means that a heavy reliance of Ebay is required. I have been lucky to obtain both my 'D' masks from within Australia but in 8 years I have never seen a wartime oxygen mask for sale at either miliatria fairs or our local dealers. Unfortunately we don't have aerojumbles or the like and our only Militaria Fair (held three days a year) has been taken over by an idiot who has turned it into the Outdoor Lifestyle Show and wonders why the last one was cancelled. There are bargins on ebay, I picked up a WD marked cowl helmet for 250US and the last G mask for 60us. Unfortunately we in down under also have to combat poor exchange rates that especially in pounds puts us out of the market, i.e 800 pounds translates to $2000AUD. Thank god for Historic Flying Clothing, Old Naughty Bits & the like. I still have a chance. Cheers guys

December 30th, 2006, 9:11 am #6

Its true this time of year is a bit of a bonus to buyers if using ebay. I got a WAAF cap a week or so ago for under £70 with the going rate about £100 plus. A lesser example went on ebay about a month ago for £127.

The prices for flying gear is way too high sometimes, but then again haven't we all paid over the odds sometimes to get something we have wanted for ages, either as an item or in a particular size?

For every £400 G type mask the next will sell for £200 or so. Same with everything else. I often set myself certain limits. If it is something I have wanted for ages and is rare to find, I might go over the odds. With something like a flying helmet, mask, mae west etc, another will always come along. Sometimes they will be better condition, bigger size, or with history, but if you just wan a good example of say, a B Type why go hell for leather and pay £400 for one when you can easily find another and get it at a lower price.

At a fair the other day, a friend of mine who is new to collecting got quite excited at £55 for an RAF Officers side cap. It was nothing special, a bit grubby etc. I advised him against it and so he didn't buy. Another in beautiful condition, with badge and very clean, came up within about three days on ebay at £20 'buy it now'. A much better deal.

There will always be items on ebay (or at fairs) that are unique, or very hard to find, but many items on ebay come up time and time again.
Since you mentioned buy-it-now Alex, I think there are a lot of very good items listed at reasonable prices on B.I.N. from time to time. I doubt many people get to see them because they are snapped up very shortly after they appear. This has happened a couple of times to me, where the view counter at the bottom reads less than 5!

December 30th, 2006, 8:17 pm #7

Prices for flying jackets have been rising steadily over the last two years and quite sharply this autumn. They will no doubt go higher when the remake of the Dambusters is released. However, it is still possible to get bargains on Ebay, especially if the items are poorly photographed, listed in the wrong section or have a low BIN price. In the last two months I have bought two Irvin jackets in very good condition for around £200 each. Similar ones on poorer condition have sold for twice this! Here is an example of an Irvin bought from Canada for around £190.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]