What The!!!

What The!!!

June 9th, 2009, 2:06 am #1

Did anyone happen to notice the D Mask & B Helmet combination just sell for over $3000GBP on ebay with one crappy photograph.
Does that mean my two combinations are worth over $6,000AUD each. That is one heafty price. Is it a record??
cheers

Jason

June 9th, 2009, 5:36 am #2

Yep,
I saw that one...and just about collapsed...at the end. A fried of mine bid on it...but was run over by someone with deep pockets...unbelievable...but true.
Jason, if you have two such rigs....treasure them...and keep them safe!!!

You going to drop me an a-mail? I'd love to find out about your B type discovery a few Months ago.....

How's life...and Family?

Cheers,
Andrew.

June 9th, 2009, 3:29 pm #3

It's expensive now, but give some years and the buyer will have made money. I was going to bid, but the prices just shot up. You were really only paying for the mask and mic. which goes to show what some people are willing to pay.

I don't care how much someone pays, as long as they enjoy the item to its full extent then in their opinion they will get their moneys worth. The only downsider is that some people will think this is the going rate for such a set so in the future if we ever come across these components together the buyer would want this price.

Incidentally, I paid around £270 for a named b-type and mark IIIa goggle set within the last month, which shows that bargains can be had Two b types sold on eBay recently for around that price and a rare (but fairly tatty) e-mask sold for £260 or thereabouts.

Ben

June 9th, 2009, 7:52 pm #4

This sounds crazy - can someone post the link - I have to see this!
Cheers
Neil

June 9th, 2009, 8:11 pm #5

Neil, here you go http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0351914412

I sold my sister for it. It had to be done. LOL

I suppose if whoever bought it is satisfied, it is money well spent in their opinion.

June 9th, 2009, 10:56 pm #6

I agree that the final cost of this set up (£3206.00) is very high and probably over the odds, especially based on the fact there was only one crappy photo. But there are things to consider.

For a start, Dave Farnsworth has previously sold a Type 19 Mic on a loom that was missing its off/on switch and inner cap, with the price (if I recall correctly) of over £1300.00, and it was snapped up in minutes. Add to that a pair of correct B Type receivers (say £175.00), a D Mask (DF has one currently at £735.00), a 1939/40 dated B Type Helmet (anything from £250.00 to £450.00), a pair of original AM Marked rubber ear cushions (maybe £50.00), and a pair of Mk III Goggles, (maybe £200.00 to £300.00), and you wind up with a total of more than £3000.

Admittedly those individual prices might be high, and the helmet not in superb condition. But consider that its probably the original, complete set up which is rare in itself. Its also named, and possibly numbered. The buyer might also have done further investigation, got more photos etc, and found it might have a recognisable name/squadron, be a large size, have a very good condition mask with little moth, or he might just be one of those prepared to pay the top end price.

All in all its not hugely over the top for the complete package, which you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere again.

June 9th, 2009, 11:53 pm #7

You are very right Alex, when you break it down into individual prices.

I guess the chances of ever getting an early microphone for my mask is diminishing by the year. I came third in respect to the one on Tiger Collectables not long ago. Maybe I will just have to move to England to become a bobby so I don't have to double every price with our exchange rate. Wonder if I would have to bring my wife?? Sounds almost inviting.
cheers

Jason

June 10th, 2009, 12:55 pm #8

Keep looking Jason, one will turn up. My Type 19 cost me £25.00 on ebay, just needed a £3.00 chamois, and a loom and bell plug which cost me £45.00 or so.

If you come to the UK, why not become an MP? You could buy it on expenses!!

June 10th, 2009, 2:09 pm #9

Thanks Ben for the link.
It certainly was a grotty photo. The helmet could be full of dry rot. Who knows if the Type 19 is original. But I suppose the bidders were faced with a dilemma. It was a chance to get what looks like a decent type 19 and early D-mask. If in the end the winner receivers rubbish, then I suppose he/she could return it.
If I were bidding and had the money - I probably would have battled for the set. It's probably dead on - albeit a poor B-Type.
I remember a few years ago some extremely rare Luftwaffe head gear appeared. Pre-war kit with an unobtainable HM-15 Oxygen mask. The whole lot went for over £4000!
Alex is right - keep looking and one might be surprised to find a Type 19 at a knock down price. Ben picked up a nice B-Type and MKIIIa goggles for a 1980s price recently, right Ben?
Cheers
Neil

June 10th, 2009, 3:39 pm #10

Yes Neil; I think I mentioned my buy above. And it was named etc and in very good condition.

I asked for more pictures of this set, and the mic was OK, the mask about average; but the helmets earcups were literally falling to piece. I'd price the helmet at around £100, mask maybe in the £700 zone plus whatever one feels the mic and receivers are worth and maybe £150 for IIIa's.  You have to remember that this is what we feel the market value is; but give a few years and we might say: why didn't I buy that? The fact is that there will always be people willing to pay a lot but only because they feel the item is worth that amount. I myself might pay in the £1000 zone for a type19 if I was in work, but only because I'd have the money.

If I ever get time, I'll try and upload pictures of my 'find'