What kind boots did RAF trade personal use?

What kind boots did RAF trade personal use?

August 26th, 2005, 4:24 pm #1

What did other RAF trade personal use in the field - did they wear Ammo Boots or did they use a different style boot? I know they all must have had good SD shoes along with the officers too. By the way...who manufactured these shoes?

August 26th, 2005, 6:26 pm #2

As far as I know, RAF personel wore the Royal Navy style ammo boot which differed from the British army style by not having a seperate toe cap.

August 29th, 2005, 12:23 am #3

What did other RAF trade personal use in the field - did they wear Ammo Boots or did they use a different style boot? I know they all must have had good SD shoes along with the officers too. By the way...who manufactured these shoes?
Rubber "Wellies" are frequently seen being worn by groundcrew members. Ammo boots seem to be most comonly seen form or OR footwear. There were also felt-soled boots for wear by those ORs who needed to climb/walk on wing surfaces.

September 4th, 2005, 4:10 pm #4

Wher would one find an image of WWII wellington boots?

September 4th, 2005, 10:58 pm #5

This is a modern pair of Wellies but the wartime versions were pretty much the same. These are typically worn with the top 6-inches or so folded over, revealing the canvas lining.

September 5th, 2005, 12:51 pm #6

Thank you very much - this is a great help! :-)

September 6th, 2005, 2:37 pm #7

Hi

Just to add to this.

ORs in the RAF had the following:

1 x pair of lace up black shoes with leather soles, these were similar to the Officers but had no toe cap.

1 x pair of RAF Wellington boots (as discribed elsewhere in this string).

1 x pair of black 'ammo style' boots but with no studs etc - almost the same as the Royal Navy boots.

Sometimes the 'Erks' would also have access to a half/boot that looked like a pair of the OR shoes with the trousers down but were actually black ankle boots.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards

Nigel Carver
O/C RAF at War

EWJ

September 6th, 2005, 6:23 pm #8

I asked an uncle who was an instrament fitter, he told me that they used the Physical Training (PT) Shoes - canvas uppers and rubber soles - when working on the ineriors of aircraft.

Elliott James