What is Going on With Prices?

What is Going on With Prices?

September 21st, 2008, 7:04 pm #1

Check this out:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=013

This has been sold by Mick Prodger. This item is v. rare and unfortunately I missed it

But what's happening?

Regards,

Ben

September 22nd, 2008, 1:03 am #2

Hi Ben: Are you saying the prices are down or going up?

September 22nd, 2008, 10:15 am #3

Prices are going down, and maybe it's only me but I think it's called financial crisis. Good time too look for rare stuff or put your money safe at the bank...

September 22nd, 2008, 12:03 pm #4

I too think it might be the effects of the credit crunch coming down on the market. It could also be something to do with the interest that a certain item creates. In addition, fine, it might be a more desirable pattern (to some?) but I note that the size was only a size 2, if it was 3 or 4 I'd expect it to fetch quite a bit more.

September 22nd, 2008, 1:13 pm #5

Certainly some of the more run-of-the-mill items are going for less, partly to do with the 'credit crunch' for sure. A couple of years ago, a minty '41 Pattern mae west was averaging £320.00 to £350.00, but lately, even with a bladder they have 'only' been hitting the £280.00 to £300.00 mark. I have seen two B Type helmets go in the last week for less than £90.00 too.

On the flipside, some items continue to amaze me. Only a few weeks back, a wartime dated WAAF blouse with incorrect brass buttons and post war shoulder eagles, selling for £270.00!!! So at the moment it seems if you have something average it will not make a great deal, but other things a bit more unique will still sell well.

Personally, considering the size (as Ric mentioned) i think Mick's helmet was not far off the mark.

September 22nd, 2008, 3:53 pm #6

...I think that prices are generally going down as Alex, Ric and Floris have said. But if you look at Alex's post a few weeks ago about battle dress-there the price is staggeringly expensive for what it is. At the end of the day (with eBay) it's a buyers market and I'm sure if a d-mask came on eBay then it might fetch the £900 mark. If someone wants it and it's rare then generally they'll take it. I think though that with this C-type, size doesn't bother me as a collector. If 2 was the average in 1940 then a size 2 is what I would like. A size 4 is nice, but I wouldn't feel happy taking it to a lot of reenactments where it could get stolen and worn.

With the auction house place, I think that their prices don't reflect the credit crunch-there was something funny about that auction, it wasn't related to eBay but a different auction house.

My two pence,

Ben

September 22nd, 2008, 6:15 pm #7

Once we get onto prices it all falls to what the item means to someone and how much they want it. To me, the helmet in question is pretty average and not something I'd go for. I have just started picking up post-war RAF kit because I am running out of WW2 items that interest me - and I will only buy the kit that fits. The good thing about that is that the p/w kit is still really cheap (£35 for a Mk3 Pressure Suit for example) but as soon as others start to desire it I am sure it will go up in price.

One thing to remember about the auction houses is that often they are mostly populated by dealers who seek to buy for a low price in order to sell on for a profit.

September 22nd, 2008, 7:48 pm #8

...I completely agree with you Ric. If lots of people see something they want on eBay then they will generally enter a bidding war.  And yes it depends on how much someone wants it.

What kind of WW2 items were you interested in Ric? Any BoB related memorabilia?

September 22nd, 2008, 8:44 pm #9

Drop me an email - stubley699 AT cranwell.mod.uk and we can correspond a bit further to avoid clogging up the server

September 24th, 2008, 4:49 pm #10

Some examples that go to show high prices are being paid for rare or one off items...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=006

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chief-Air-Marshal ... dZViewItem