WHAT A STEAL!!!

WHAT A STEAL!!!

April 21st, 2012, 5:23 pm #1

Afternoon all, just thaught i would share with some of you my good fortune from this afternoon. whilst spending a long wet day in norwich i finally gave up to go home, when walking back to the car i noticed a shop with "antiques, collectibles, vintage and retro" written on the outside. i went in to look around, not alot there, but tucked away in the bottom corner of a cabinet a small yellow thing caught my eye. on further inspection i realised it was a 1941 pattern mae west skull cap. swiftly calling the attendant over he got it out for me, didnt know what it was, or what it was worth and said "call it 6 quid mate?" to which i swiftly paid up and left the shop!! what an absolute bargain!!!!

Daf
RAF Honington

everything is history, lets preserve it and educate others.

April 21st, 2012, 5:38 pm #2

Well done on your find.

I find that general antiques shops are always worth looking in for raf kit. Whilst they may not get it in very often, when they do they rarely know what it is!

A few years back in a genreral antiques shop I found a c type/mkVIII goggles/g mask with hose all for what I thought was an unbelievable price, i.e less than the price a G mask would have been at the time. I said "I'll take them" so quickly I forgot to haggle. Just as the deal was being done the vendor said "oh yes these come with it too" and handed me a pair of 1938 dated MkIIIa goggles! I could not believe my luck, I have been back to the shop many times but they have never had any raf items in since.

April 22nd, 2012, 10:22 pm #3

Well that just took the jam out of my donut!!! wow cant believe your find, thats wicked!! ive been trying to find a pair of mkIII geggs for ages for cheap- hense hopefully broken. but unless youve got 3 figures to play with there non existent!!! and yours were FREE!!! Wounded lol. bet you ran all the way home lol.

Daf
RAF Honington

everything is history, lets preserve it and educate others.

April 24th, 2012, 7:43 pm #4

Finding anything thesemdays for a bargain price seems nye on impossible. So it's great to hear some good luck stories.

Not quite as exciting as the G mask, helmet and goggles but I did recently buy an F type helmet (blue cloth similar to G type) for 50 pence. This is my best bargain.