VE-Day 2005

VE-Day 2005

December 4th, 2004, 7:25 am #1

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Forum,

Next year marks the 60th Anniversary of VE-Day and VJ-Day. We collectively as a group (where ever we may be) must go forth and honor our veterans and celebrate their achievements and sacrifice. This will probably the last celebration of its kind for many of them. Especially with many of them being in their 80's. The next big anniversary celebrations will be in 10 and 15 years.

Postings and media releases about upcoming celebratory events are now being advertised. I've seen plenty of postings for events in England but not many for us here in the colonies.

VE-Day Celebration in the City of Hamilton
Within my city of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada there will be a variety of events and places to visit.
During the week prior will be another WW2 Film Festival at the Movie Palace Theater on Concession Street.
The HMCS Haida (the last Tribal Class Destroyer in the world) will be open for tours that weekend.
I will be trying to see if we can get access to Auchmar House (formerly RCAF Convalescent Hospital No. 2. Many badly burned Commonwealth aviators were sent here to heal and be rehabilitated. I'll check to see if St. Joseph's Hospital has any archives/artifacts about this particular area of interest.
Other military points of interest are the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry and the Hamilton Military Museum. Also, you can visit some of our local Royal Canadian Legion halls and RCAF Associations...cheap Canadian beer!

The Hamilton Spectator along with the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum will be hosting a commemorative 60th Anniversary of VE-Day charity ball on Saturday, May 7th, 2005. The proceeds of this dinner/dance will be going towards the Hamilton Spectator's Summer Camp Fund and the CWHM (think of it as,Investing in the future and preserving the past). The event will be held at the CWHM and will feature the music of the Canadian Tribute to the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
Tickets are $100.00 each. Seniors can obtain discounted tickets at $75.00 each. Veterans of WW2 will be granted FREE admission, courtsey of Dofasco Steel and the Hamilton Spectator. WW2 Veterans will need to identify themselves prior to the event and have some sort of proof of service.

There will be displays on both Saturday and Sunday. Several other museums will also be in attendance along with several wartime companies. Irvin Aerospace (formerly the Irvin Parachute Company) will be in attending with a display of artifacts and memorabilia. if you have any parachute questions, this will be the time to ask them.
Weather permitting, the Avro Lancaster along with some other aircraft will be out flying on the Saturday. The Lancaster has been booked to fly to Ottawa (our nation's capital) on the Sunday for their events. We are also working on getting some vintage military vehicles and automobiles for display. Hopefully a Sherman Tank.
On Sunday, May 8th, 2005 the CWHM will be hosting their VE-Day Ceremony and Celebration.

I will update when more information becomes available.

Cheers,
Dean

December 4th, 2004, 7:41 am #2

The City of Hamilton will be hosting their own ceremony and celebration on Sunday, May 8th, 2005 at the Hamilton Convention Center.

EVENTS IN ENGLAND:

Haworth Village 1940's Weekend (May 6-8, 2005)

Duxford VE-Day Airshow (May 7-8, 2005)

Newark Air Museum (May 7, 2005)
A 1940's wartime concert will be held in the new Aircraft Display Hall.
Vintage wartime music to be performed by the New Fanfare Big Band featuring the popular vocalist Dennis Price. Limited number of tickets and prices TBA.

Historic Chattam Dockyards (May 7-8, 2005)
Displays on both days. Saturday has a big band dance under Number Five
Covered Slip.
Sunday will have a parade, service of thanksgiving and street party celebration.

National Indoor Arena, Birmingham (Sunday, May 8, 2005)
The Glenn Miller Orchestra UK will be performing at this event.

The Jitterbug Ball (Saturday, May 21, 2005)
Hammersmith Town Hall, London
Opus One Big Band booked to perform.

I'm sure there are more events that will be listed in the next few weeks.
If you have anything to add....anywhere in the world...please post!

RAF and Commonwealth Re-enactors/Collectors UNITE!

Dean

December 5th, 2004, 8:43 pm #3

Next year marks the 60th Anniversary of VE-Day and VJ-Day. We collectively as a group (where ever we may be) must go forth and honor our veterans and celebrate their achievements and sacrifice. This will probably the last celebration of its kind for many of them. Especially with many of them being in their 80's. The next big anniversary celebrations will be in 10 and 15 years.

Postings and media releases about upcoming celebratory events are now being advertised. I've seen plenty of postings for events in England but not many for us here in the colonies.

Within my city of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada there will be a variety of events and places to visit.
During the week prior will be another WW2 Film Festival at the Movie Palace Theater on Concession Street.
The HMCS Haida (the last Tribal Class Destroyer in the world) will be open for tours that weekend.
I will be trying to see if we can get access to Auchmar House (formerly RCAF Convalescent Hospital No. 2. Many badly burned Commonwealth aviators were sent here to heal and be rehabilitated. I'll check to see if St. Joseph's Hospital has any archives/artifacts about this particular area of interest.
Other military points of interest are the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry and the Hamilton Military Museum. Also, you can visit some of our local Royal Canadian Legion halls and RCAF Associations...cheap Canadian beer!

The Hamilton Spectator along with the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum will be hosting a commemorative 60th Anniversary of VE-Day charity ball on Saturday, May 7th, 2005. The proceeds of this dinner/dance will be going towards the Hamilton Spectator's Summer Camp Fund and the CWHM (think of it as,Investing in the future and preserving the past). The event will be held at the CWHM and will feature the music of the Canadian Tribute to the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
Tickets are $100.00 each. Seniors can obtain discounted tickets at $75.00 each. Veterans of WW2 will be granted FREE admission, courtsey of Dofasco Steel and the Hamilton Spectator. WW2 Veterans will need to identify themselves prior to the event and have some sort of proof of service.

There will be displays on both Saturday and Sunday. Several other museums will also be in attendance along with several wartime companies. Irvin Aerospace (formerly the Irvin Parachute Company) will be in attending with a display of artifacts and memorabilia. if you have any parachute questions, this will be the time to ask them.
Weather permitting, the Avro Lancaster along with some other aircraft will be out flying on the Saturday. The Lancaster has been booked to fly to Ottawa (our nation's capital) on the Sunday for their events. We are also working on getting some vintage military vehicles and automobiles for display. Hopefully a Sherman Tank.
On Sunday, May 8th, 2005 the CWHM will be hosting their VE-Day Ceremony and Celebration.

Cheers,
Dean

For those that may be interested and in the Ottawa area, the new CWM will be opening the weekend of 7-8 May 2005. What I can say at this point is that the scope and content of the new CWM will be far superior to what we have grown to expect out of the old CWM and this institution will become a must-see attraction in the Ottawa area.

December 18th, 2004, 6:10 pm #4

Cheers,
Dean

Just to give you folks an update. The tickets are 80% SOLD for the 60th Anniversary Celebration of VE-Day (dinner/dance) at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum on Saturday, May 7th 2005.
There are only 20 tables left.

Tickets: $100 per person and $75 for seniors
(a portion of the ticket price is tax deductible)

Contact number: 905-679-4183

or tickets could be purchased at the musuem

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum
9280 Airport Road
Mount Hope, Ontario

Cheers,
Dean

December 22nd, 2004, 6:34 pm #5

Cheers,
Dean

The event is now totally SOLD OUT.

Dean