USAAF trend

USAAF trend

May 17th, 2005, 5:28 am #1

I dont mean to offend anyone but I have noticed in a couple of posts that some people may be trying to do RAF living history with a USAAF flavor. All this talk about shoulder holsters and A-2 jackets are a bit out of place in relation to the RAF. The USAAF during WW2 had a definite "look" about it. Leather jackets, sunglasses, crusher hats, .45's in shoulder holsters. All classic AAF stuff. The RAF also had a "look" but it was distinctly different, blue uniforms aside. Personally, having collected and reenacted both I think the RAF stuff is a bit "classier" than the USAAF, but thats just me. Waiting for the flames.....

cheers
Tony

May 17th, 2005, 1:44 pm #2

This is "living history", not "let's pretend". You take it as it was. The many Americans who served in the R.C.A.F. would have been indistinguishable from the Canadians until you saw their flashes, or until they spoke.

If you want to play with guns, go be a brown job - or raise your own unit of the R.A.F. Regiment!

May 17th, 2005, 2:31 pm #3

I dont mean to offend anyone but I have noticed in a couple of posts that some people may be trying to do RAF living history with a USAAF flavor. All this talk about shoulder holsters and A-2 jackets are a bit out of place in relation to the RAF. The USAAF during WW2 had a definite "look" about it. Leather jackets, sunglasses, crusher hats, .45's in shoulder holsters. All classic AAF stuff. The RAF also had a "look" but it was distinctly different, blue uniforms aside. Personally, having collected and reenacted both I think the RAF stuff is a bit "classier" than the USAAF, but thats just me. Waiting for the flames.....

cheers
Tony
As noted, the overwhelming majority of RAF aircrew wore RAF issue equipment and conformed to the 'look' discussed above.

That being said, there are photos illustrating exceptions to just about everything and there are photos in existence showing A-2s, US M41 jackets, US tanker jackets, etc. being worn -- albeit very, very infrequently.

From a reenactment/living history perspective, I would encourage portraying the 'norm' rather than the exception.

May 17th, 2005, 5:38 pm #4

cheers
Tony
Hi Tony,Michael and Chris,
Many thanks for your frank replies.
My inquiry was just an inquiry about something that i needed clarification on.
Sorry if i stood on anyone's toes regarding RAF v.USAAF.I am a member of a RAF Living History Group based in the UK and very proud of it.
Many thanks once again for the replies
Howard.

May 17th, 2005, 6:06 pm #5

As noted, the overwhelming majority of RAF aircrew wore RAF issue equipment and conformed to the 'look' discussed above.

That being said, there are photos illustrating exceptions to just about everything and there are photos in existence showing A-2s, US M41 jackets, US tanker jackets, etc. being worn -- albeit very, very infrequently.

From a reenactment/living history perspective, I would encourage portraying the 'norm' rather than the exception.
But, that being said I think it was much more frequent to see RAF items in USAAF use then the other way around.

I saw a pic of the crew of the "Memphis Belle" teh other day and noticed the A/C Commander had what looked like RAF 41-pattern boots on!

Bloody cheek...

Huxley

May 17th, 2005, 6:35 pm #6

cheers
Tony
Well, there's pleanty of wartime photos of alot USAAC fighter pilots wear C Type helmets and different RAF pattern boots also!
I've also seen American pilots in Italy wearing British BD top with metal wings.
I'd say in the Pacific theatre you would see more American/Brit mix of gear worn by RAF(SEAC), RNZAF, RAAF pilots.

But I agree with the rest stay the norm!

Glenn

May 17th, 2005, 6:51 pm #7

This is "living history", not "let's pretend". You take it as it was. The many Americans who served in the R.C.A.F. would have been indistinguishable from the Canadians until you saw their flashes, or until they spoke.

If you want to play with guns, go be a brown job - or raise your own unit of the R.A.F. Regiment!
We wore British Khaki all through the war! the only Commonwealth Country (South Africa) not to wear blue/grey maintaining the Army Air Corps/RFC look!
If you don't know by now I portray a SAAF pilot and proud of it!

Watch the term "Brown jobs" you only get those if you go to prison or if you're a Canadian Lumber Jack! Press wild flowers!
OOOOh He's A Lumber Jack and he's OK!

Just my opinion ladies!

GK

May 17th, 2005, 7:38 pm #8

Whatever their uniform, the S.A.A.F. were never "brown jobs" in the R.N./R.C.N. sense of the term.

And they gave great support to the Canadian Divisions in Italy. It's a little-known fact that the 166th (Newfoundland) Ryal Artillery were attached to a South African Division there.

May 17th, 2005, 8:39 pm #9

cheers
Tony
if I have upset anyone or pushed their buttons on this subject. My post wasn't directed at USA civilians volunteering in the RCAF or RAF it was more for the few pre-war aircrew in the AAC who did. I am not trying to pretend or what if my impression or even trying to create mixture Air Force I just thought it could be neat.

Sam Irvine

May 18th, 2005, 1:51 pm #10

Whatever their uniform, the S.A.A.F. were never "brown jobs" in the R.N./R.C.N. sense of the term.

And they gave great support to the Canadian Divisions in Italy. It's a little-known fact that the 166th (Newfoundland) Ryal Artillery were attached to a South African Division there.
I have a picture of three SAAF pilots in the dead of winter in the Po Valley in Italy, they had set up an exchange personnel with a Canadian infantry unit I guess to observe what was involved in each others role in the war.
I guess they had a strong appreciation on how hard both roles were! Ah! Joint Warfare!

Glenn