Untitled

Untitled

January 15th, 2009, 11:09 pm #1

Just don't expect me to pack anything over the weekend! Still debating whether to include a few 'interestng' items. We may well save them for the next update... Once Stoneleigh is out of the way we'll be back to regular larger updates...

January 16th, 2009, 5:20 pm #2

If you don't include any in the update, any chance of e-mailing me (if you have time at the weekend!) any information about the b-type helmets. Currently I have £512 plus any my father may chip in (for my birthday) so it is either that or a d-mask.

All the best,

Ben

January 16th, 2009, 6:23 pm #3

Hi Ben,

Sorry I haven't forgotten and I will let you know what I have available asap. None have been added within tonights update so you won't miss out.

Cheers
David

January 16th, 2009, 7:50 pm #4

Ok, thanks for the info and sorry if I'm being a pest, I know you are very busy. If you don't have time it honestly doesn't matter, as we should be at Stoneleigh so maybe we can meet you there?

Nice update so far as well, the officers shirts are the most interesting so far-could be interested if that was the next item to buy on my list

January 17th, 2009, 5:34 pm #5

Some nice items Dave, but I am a little puzzled by the SAAF Sergeants BD that you have, as there was no such rank in the SAAF during the war. The equivalent to Sergeant in the SAAF was 'Air Sergeant' which was three stripes surmounted by a bronzed, brass or cloth eagle. Is there evidence of an eagle having been affixed above the stripes?

February 2nd, 2009, 9:25 am #6

Hi Alex,

Sorry, I view the forum on an irregular basis and only just found this query. I didn't know that about the rank and will dig the BD out and have a look. Might take a while as I'm surrounded by boxes following the Stoneleigh show.

Regarding Militaria 2009 : Good to talk to Ben again ( & his dad) - glad you got fixed up with some more gear for your collection. Personally the show was poor for buying and for RAF kit in general. Sales were quite bouyant though.

Apologies for the state of my website at present. There is an awful lot of 'sold' stuff on there. Normal servive will be resumed as soon as the backlog is cleared following Stoneleigh. Some new features will also be introduced in around 3 weeks time and the site will also be moved to a faster more reliable server. This will necessitate a brief closure while this is done.

February 2nd, 2009, 10:01 am #7

Thanks for the kind words Dave, I look forward to the updates. As I have mentioned, if I get the right amount from eBay then I will be onto you ASAP about those b-types. Currently though I have no school (I love snow!) so I may try and find some time to tidy the suit up. I may ask you about those buttons...

On another subject, one of the lens of my mark IV goggles has a crack in it, so does anyone know if I can find replacements? (I'm leaning towards you Paul as you had some mark VIII lenses on eBay). I don't find it detremental to the appearance, but I would (maybe) like to repair the lenses. This is the only real negative factor about the goggles, otherwise they are in mint condition as the rubbers are still in soft and supple condition.

Dave, with regards to your website-is it possible to have a sold section where one can view all the items you have sold? Also, when an item says SOLD can the price still be displayed so that, if it sells quickly, we know how much for.

Lots say that the show was poor, but I find that if you find an item-then it makes it seem a whole lot better. The other week my father went to the Hildenborough show which, to say the least, is a very poor affair. At the show there are literally only 4 dealers, in a hall about 20ft by 17ft. However, my father managed to find an early Martini Henry rifle (mark 2) for about £240-at least £400 les than the current market value. It goes to show that even poor fairs can turn up good items. On another note, what is the best fair for RAF gear?

Cheers,

Ben

February 2nd, 2009, 10:15 am #8

There was a seller at Stoneleigh doing a pair of lenses suitable for that series of goggles for £12 a pair - and you could choose which lenses you wanted as they were in a small box. They were in fairly good nick.

February 2nd, 2009, 10:24 am #9

Hi Ben,

I have replacement lenses for IVs, IVBs & VIIIs. The former are delaminated but if you completeley delaminate them, clean them up and replace they would at least 'look' better (although no longer 'laminated'). Let me know about the buttons as & when...you are welcome to them.

Your suggestion for a 'sold' section on the website is indeed one of the new features that will appear in a few weeks....

Cheers
David

February 2nd, 2009, 10:24 am #10

There was a seller at Stoneleigh doing a pair of lenses suitable for that series of goggles for £12 a pair - and you could choose which lenses you wanted as they were in a small box. They were in fairly good nick.
That's annoying, I probably would have bought a pair. Do you know who he was?