Type 18 speaker pics

Type 18 speaker pics

June 21st, 2012, 11:42 pm #1

Hi guys,

Just a quick post to ask if anyone has any good pics of the type 18 mic with the speaker cap off...? I know there have been some previous posts with similar questions but for the life of me i cant find any viewable pics on the forum showing whats under the pepperpot speaker cap.

Reason being i am over half way in the process of producing a replica mic for my own collection,and not having particularly deep pockets or luck enough to stumble on an original i thought making one would be the only way i would be able to achieve ownership of anything like an original. So far ive completed an (exact) alloy mic housing pressing using original dimentions and data. Im very pleased with the result and want to be able to replicate it to the smallest detail. Ive already mastered the sprayed cork layer, stiched two peice chamois cover and the switch bakerlite parts however, very few pictures exist of the mics showing the internal speaker parts. If i can see whats under the cap then i can continue with my little project.

If you can post some pics or email me it would be very much appreciated,

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Mac

June 25th, 2012, 6:52 am #2

Hi Mac,
Here are a couple photos originally provided by Alex. He has a lovely original Type 18 he picked up cheap.
There's a small hole at the edge of the retainer ring, which I believe is a moisture drain that would have been drilled once the cap's "6 o'clock" position was established. I believe that in service the cap would fill with moisture and impede mic operation. I can't figure what else the hole would have been for.
I have a mic with a similar hole at the "6 o'clock" position.
Cheers
Neil

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

June 25th, 2012, 7:02 pm #3

Thanks for posting those Neil, saved me getting the camera out again!

Mac, if youre the same Mac who messaged me before, I havent forgotten you, just either been busy or have been battling a failing computer. Will sort out the measurements asap.

June 27th, 2012, 7:50 pm #4

Hiya Alex,

Thanks for the heads up.. i do appreciate you comming back to me. Neil kindly helped with the sizes and i am now in the process of making myself a type 18.. as best i can lol.

Thanks again for comming back to me i really do appreciate it. I do have a question for you though it may be difficult to answer as i dont have the ability to upload any pics yet.. I purchased a nice bullion cap badge and wondered if it was genuine... came with a silk kings crown embroidered hanky.. if i can work a way to get some pics i will snd some.

Regards

Mac