Type 18 microphone

Type 18 microphone

February 7th, 2012, 4:12 pm #1

This is the first time that we have used this site to show the Type 18 mic that we have been working on. It has been very carefully reproduced from an original as can be seen in the pics. The bakelite components have only been placed to give some idea of what the finished item should look like. We have replicated these parts in bakelite and resin. The aluminium shell is a converted Type 21 pat mic assembly, which allowed us to play around with it until all measurements were correct, it also saved the original from getting damaged in the development stage. Watch this space we are getting closer to our first of a limited run/Users/tonysach/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/7 Feb 2012_5/DSCN0628./Users/tonysach/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/7 Feb 2012_5/DSCN0629./Users/tonysach/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/7 Feb 2012_4/DSCN0634.JPG

February 7th, 2012, 7:55 pm #2

I'd be interested to see this project.
The link to the photos doesn't work.

February 7th, 2012, 8:01 pm #3

This is the first time that we have used this site to show the Type 18 mic that we have been working on. It has been very carefully reproduced from an original as can be seen in the pics. The bakelite components have only been placed to give some idea of what the finished item should look like. We have replicated these parts in bakelite and resin. The aluminium shell is a converted Type 21 pat mic assembly, which allowed us to play around with it until all measurements were correct, it also saved the original from getting damaged in the development stage. Watch this space we are getting closer to our first of a limited run/Users/tonysach/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/7 Feb 2012_5/DSCN0628./Users/tonysach/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/7 Feb 2012_5/DSCN0629./Users/tonysach/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/7 Feb 2012_4/DSCN0634.JPG
As i have said , this is the first time we have used this site to show you our Type 18 microphone and unfortunately it is proving rather difficult to show you the photo's. Any help on how to get a photo on this site would be appreciated , thanks .

February 7th, 2012, 8:44 pm #4

Hi Neil, Sorry about the link, pretty new to this forum, still trying to work out how to get some photo's on here for you all to look at. Any advise would be most welcome. ttfn Tony

February 8th, 2012, 12:09 am #5

February 8th, 2012, 10:32 pm #6

Sorry about the link, better luck this time,

February 9th, 2012, 1:22 pm #7

The link doesn't work for me either (I've tried googling the photo tags and everything!). I would be extremely interested to see how this has turned out.

February 9th, 2012, 4:14 pm #8

...dont keep us in suspense!

February 10th, 2012, 11:36 am #9

I dont know what happened , one minute nothing then it goes over the top, at least you can all see that I was trying to get it sorted lol .

February 10th, 2012, 11:52 am #10

Bizarre!!! I saw your new post with three photos, had it on screen, and then within about a minute it had disappeared from the site and two new ones had appeared here with only two photos!

This is my original Type 18 (Type 19). As can be seen it was bare when I got it, but otherwise complete (the 'before photo was after I had taken some of the parts off). It took about an hour to remove the components and add the chamois. Since then its had a loom, bell plug and phones added and is now in my B Type and D mask.

It does raise the question once again about repro v real. Obviously, given the choice most collectors would have a real one, however these are pretty much never seen now. I had someone interested in mine, and several people, including Steve Silburn and Mick Prodger basically said 'you'll regret it, as you'll probably not find another'. I know Dave Farnsworth had one on his site, with loom and bell plug but no phones, and it sold in minutes, I think at £1395.00. This one looks superb, but like many of the very good repros, its rather worrying to think of the effect they might have on prices of real ones.

I know a few years ago I was the under bidder on a green '32 Pattern Mae West. I think it eventually went for about £1500.00, but (in those days where you could see the bidders ID) I was contacted by someone, I think a member of this forum, to say it was a Steve Silburn repro. Steve confirmed it and I emailed the winning bidder who I think got his money back. It was sold as genuine with 'provenance'.

I dont know what yours will retail for, but even if say £500.00, it only takes a devious soul to add a few nicks and scrapes, and that price can be tripled in days. Would you add something to confirm its not genuine, for example a stamped 'copy' in small letters on the inside?