Type 18 Dimentions required

Type 18 Dimentions required

April 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm #1

Hi chaps

Extremely new to the forum and looking to get involved with joining a RAF living history group that portrays 39 - 45 period pilots. I do have some kit, uniform ect boots but really looking to put together a classic BOB impression. I dont have mega funds but am quite handy with the old hands being a model maker by trade. Im trying to replicate for my own use a type 18 mic but dont have the funds to purchase a replica or certainly an original.

If anyone has indeed a real one and can supply outside measurements/dimentions im sure i can make a very convincing mic housing replica. I do have a type 21 but understand the ridge that supports the swich housing is either wider or the central tapered cone is steeper on these?. Lastly any ideas how much the repro canvas D masks are and where i can buy one from?.

Thanks guys, really hope you can help.

Regards

Mac

April 5th, 2012, 1:51 pm #2

Hello Mac, welcome to the forum.
Please get in touch with me via email. (just click on my name to see the address). I can help you with dimensions. I have a project ongoing to reverse engineer a Type 18 mic. I have a computer model of a Type 18. I have some section cuts with dimensions.
Also, please search on the forum for other very recent threads regarding the Type 18. Another group has actually successfully reverse engineered the mic and has done a great job.
Cheers Neil

April 5th, 2012, 11:08 pm #3

Hi there Neil.. Thanks for the reply, i did try and respond by clicking on your name however it diddnt do anything so i thought best try this way. Yes id be interested in recieving your dimentions and computer pics for reference if you wouldnt mind?. Please would you email me the information required.

Did you take the measurements from an original Mic?.. if you know the width of the switch housing bits or have a template that i cn use that would be very helpfull. Im pretty sure i can make a Mic but its getting the Dmask as well to complete the set up, i doubt id be able to makethe mask bit so any info on whos making nice ones would be very handy. I'll check out the forum to see the info on the replica mics but do want to give it a go making one for myself.

Many thanks Neil

Mac

April 6th, 2012, 11:21 am #4

Hi Mac,
Stephen Silburn at Sefton Clothing makes the masks. I have one of his repros and they are astounding: the level of detail is out of this world. I think the price for one is around £350, but bear in mind they rarely devalue: a repro mask that looks original (with some wear and use) may very well sell for more than the original amount.
He trades on eBay as izavailablehttp://myworld.ebay.co.uk/izavailable/ and his e-mail is: seftonclothingco@aol.com

He's a great chap

Now regarding the microphone, JB on this forum managed to convert a type 21 into a type 19 and it looked pretty damn good. I can't seem to find the topic though. If I find it I will post it here.

April 6th, 2012, 2:33 pm #5

Hi thanks for the heads up.. wow.. is this just the green baretha mask Dtype for £350.00 or do you get the mic thrown in too hehe!! well if they are that good then i would deffo think about this but would rather scratch build a type 18 first. As im a model maker by proffession i could make one but need the type 18 dimentions.

Hope Neil can email them to me as i havent been able to obtain his email from clicking on his name.. not sure if its because i have a budget account .

Regards

Mac

April 6th, 2012, 6:48 pm #6

Hi Mac,
Stephen Silburn at Sefton Clothing makes the masks. I have one of his repros and they are astounding: the level of detail is out of this world. I think the price for one is around £350, but bear in mind they rarely devalue: a repro mask that looks original (with some wear and use) may very well sell for more than the original amount.
He trades on eBay as izavailablehttp://myworld.ebay.co.uk/izavailable/ and his e-mail is: seftonclothingco@aol.com

He's a great chap

Now regarding the microphone, JB on this forum managed to convert a type 21 into a type 19 and it looked pretty damn good. I can't seem to find the topic though. If I find it I will post it here.
Hi Mac, yes I have an original mic that I am in the process of restoring, so I disassembled it. I carefully measured, with micrometers and vernier calipers, the component parts and I made a computer model of it. The model is dead on.
I am yet to reverse engineer the bakelite switch parts.
My email address is: L4DOTflyerATgmailDOTcom (just substitute the "AT" and "DOT").
Here's a couple of pictures of the model:
Again, another group has made a superb reproduction. I have no idea what their final cost would be.
I intend to create press tools from my model to reproduce the front face from aluminium sheet, like the originals. I hasten to add that this project is a while in the future.
Cheers Neil