Typce C Jacket

Typce C Jacket

March 14th, 2011, 10:43 am #1

Hi everyone,
I also picked this jacket up at auction this weekend. It was in a lot with something else I wanted and I have no idea what it was used for.
Someone suggested that since it said Type C on the label perhaps it was airforce, hence my posting here.
Any information about this jacket would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by AOC553 on March 14th, 2011, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 21st, 2011, 2:23 am #2

Is this jacket that rare that no one knows what it is or is it that common that I am an idiot for not knowing? LOL! If it is not airforce can someone clue me in and I will continue my search in another direction, please.

March 21st, 2011, 7:11 am #3

It doesn't look like a RAF jacket and it certainly doesn't get mentioned in any reference books, if that's of any use to you.

Cheers, Toine

March 21st, 2011, 11:37 am #4

Hi everyone,
I also picked this jacket up at auction this weekend. It was in a lot with something else I wanted and I have no idea what it was used for.
Someone suggested that since it said Type C on the label perhaps it was airforce, hence my posting here.
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi there, I dont think that this is airforce related.
My guess is that it is a private purchase item that someone could have
either ordered or had tailored. It could have been purchased by a serviceman of some kind
or it could just be a piece of civillian clothing from the war era, purchased by a civillian.

Robbie

March 21st, 2011, 1:15 pm #5

It doesn't look like a RAF jacket and it certainly doesn't get mentioned in any reference books, if that's of any use to you.

Cheers, Toine
Is it possible its a dispatch rider type jacket? The collar looks like the liner in a pair of rider pants my buddy has.

March 21st, 2011, 11:27 pm #6

Thanks for the input! Toine, that does help me alot, it tells me I am barking up the wrong tree. It was suggested it might be airforce as it is type C, a description that it more in line with airforce description.
I had thought dispatch rider and also some sort of Jeep coat, but the reference books I have don't show or describe this exact coat.
Thanks again, I will continue my search.

March 23rd, 2011, 11:01 am #7

Hi everyone,
Thanks,
Jeff

Canada produced a wide variety of uniquely Canadian garments throughout WW2 and into the postwar years. Some standalone designs and others variations of either US or British designs. My first thought for this jacket is some form of two-piece tank suit similar to the WW2 US armored jacket and bib-type trousers. I'm not a tank guy but to me this screams armored vehicle attire.
Last edited by AOC553 on March 23rd, 2011, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 23rd, 2011, 9:21 pm #8

I thought Armoured as well, but it is not shown in the reference books I have. I have posted this thing on alot of forums and no one so far has been able to ID it. A trial item or something for Canada use only is the only other opinion so far.
It's an interesting jacket for sure. If anyone is interested I will post the results of my search here, even though it's not airforce.
Regards,
Jeff

March 23rd, 2011, 11:54 pm #9

The thing with reference books is that they're not all encompassing.

The jacket is definitely Canadian -- even without the tags. The wool lining is identical to that used on late war flying helmets (a type not seen in most books). The lining is the same as used on RCAF Deacon Suits -- a 2-piece flying suit also not seen in books.

By color, almost assuredly not RCAF. Which leaves RCN and Army. It looks like the top half of a Pixie suit and decidedly unlike any naval uniforms I've seen.

I would venture that a look at Canadian tank uniforms of the late 40s/early 1950s will yield some clues.

March 25th, 2011, 8:03 am #10

almost like a cold weather BD