Tips and tricks on aging techniques...?

Tips and tricks on aging techniques...?

January 12th, 2005, 2:23 pm #1

I recently bought a nice KC cap badge, but -though it's beautiful- it looks far too new!
Do any of you know of tips and tricks on how to age a RAF bullion cap badge...?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Toine

January 12th, 2005, 3:57 pm #2

Ask some of the dealers!!!!!

January 12th, 2005, 4:33 pm #3

Does anybody know how to tarnish brass? I recently shined up some brass buckles and want to tarninsh them again.

Chris

January 12th, 2005, 5:20 pm #4

I recently bought a nice KC cap badge, but -though it's beautiful- it looks far too new!

Cheers,
Toine
Hi,
I'm curious to know, if one is reinacting history, why anyone would make their uniforms and kit look older? After all, during WWII, or any era for that matter, the issued uniforms and kit would have been new or nearly new, at the time. So for renacting purposes, a shiney, new look would surely be more accurate. Although, I must admit, as far as flying kit is concerned, after a few combat operations, even new flying kit would have looked older than it's real age. In that case, point taken.
Regards
Neil B.

January 12th, 2005, 6:45 pm #5

Cheers,
Toine
Toine,

You may want to check out some "costuming" sites. I know I've seen some a while ago that have tutorials on "how to give your clothing an aged/worn appearance". Especially leather items.
I think you may have to look under sci-fi costuming for "Star Wars".

You'd be amazed on how many neat things I've read about.
Fans are making replica British Sterling and German MG-34s/MG-42s out of PVC tubing. I also found a site that makes replica machine guns to fit over paintball guns. You just have to assemble, paint and weather them.

I'll have a looksee to find those specific sites again.

Cheers,
Dean

PS I imagine your aging your items because you are portraying some that's been in the service for a number of years. Remember the Yanks with the 50 Mission Crusher Caps! Lots of pilots during the war did as much as they could to give their caps that worn look.

January 12th, 2005, 7:04 pm #6

I found one site:

www.studiocreation.com

Look under "Distressing Objects".

The site for paintball guns is www.cushmanpaintball.com for those who may be interested.

You may also want to do a search on Movie/Theatrical special effects for costuming.

Hope this helps.

Dean

January 12th, 2005, 7:25 pm #7

Just had a look at the www.cushmanpaintball.com site......
What shall i say.......a bit awkward?

This means that there actually are people that run around, dressed up as German Panzer crew, including velcro badges and tin medals, with vacu-formed German-ish style helmets, with vaguely look-a-like MP44's, shooting eachother with paintballs ??????
The fact that he apaerantly makes a living out of it suggests even worse.
Must be from that great little country that gave us Mickey Mouse and Coca-Cola.............
(no offence to any American collegues on this forum ofcourse!)

Prune.

January 12th, 2005, 7:43 pm #8

Cheers,
Toine
As Dan and others pointed out correctly; why age it when they were shiny new back in the day, which is what we're portaying in the first place...?

I just wasn't thinking like a re-enactor... (shame on me!!!)

I got a cap from George and my badge looked so much different, I started thinking about how to get the 2 more alike.
I should've started thinking on how to clean up the original!

Many thanks for the other suggestions!!

Cheers, Toine

January 12th, 2005, 7:56 pm #9

Well for me the tarnishing brass part was because I got some P'37 equipment buckles and shined them up, then I wanted to tarnish them for my webbing. I saw the thread about aging techniques so decided to see if anybody knew how to tarnish brass.

Chris

January 12th, 2005, 8:23 pm #10

Just had a look at the www.cushmanpaintball.com site......
What shall i say.......a bit awkward?

This means that there actually are people that run around, dressed up as German Panzer crew, including velcro badges and tin medals, with vacu-formed German-ish style helmets, with vaguely look-a-like MP44's, shooting eachother with paintballs ??????
The fact that he apaerantly makes a living out of it suggests even worse.
Must be from that great little country that gave us Mickey Mouse and Coca-Cola.............
(no offence to any American collegues on this forum ofcourse!)

Prune.
.... from people running around in repro or original German helmets/uniforms shooting blanks at each other, how?

Probably far cheaper to paintball reenact WW2 than the way we do it! While these guys make no claims towards authenticity, at least they're not getting exploding paintballs on original (or high-dollar) repro kit.

A bit more socially palatable, as well. With velcro, those politically incorrect, swastika-carrying badges can be removed quickly -- allowing for a safe and quick PC trip into McDonalds.