Switlik Parachute Harness

Switlik Parachute Harness

November 22nd, 2009, 2:44 pm #1

H All

I have a Canadian Switlik Observer's Parachute Harness and I have some questions:

The Harness is marked with an A.M. stamp and dated May 1941 (I think it's a 1), does anyone know if it was common to find these harness's in use by RAF/RCAF Bomber Command airmen during WWII?

The Harness is named "Barber" with a Service No. which looks like R233851 or 7 but some of the figures are a bit unclear so may not be correct. What do you think?

Any comments would be welcome. See attached photos.

Cheers Dave

November 22nd, 2009, 3:05 pm #2

It's a nice piece, have you tried tracing him? Also, can you be sure his number starts with an R and not a B? The fact though that you have his name and a partly legible number should make matching any possible pilots fairly easy, so long as you can find suitable matches

November 22nd, 2009, 4:06 pm #3

Hi Ben

I've not tried tracing him yet, as you can see in the photos the number is a little indistinct, it could be an R or a B but all RCAF numbers were either R for other ranks and J for Officers. So I guess it's an R.

Cheers
Dave

November 22nd, 2009, 4:30 pm #4

With reference to the above; maybe some of our Canadian friends can advise the best way to try and trace this airman?

Cheers
Dave

November 23rd, 2009, 2:46 pm #5

I would like to hear if a wartime Canadian Harness usually had an A.M. stamp, or only if it was used in the UK?

November 25th, 2009, 3:16 pm #6

H All

I have a Canadian Switlik Observer's Parachute Harness and I have some questions:

The Harness is marked with an A.M. stamp and dated May 1941 (I think it's a 1), does anyone know if it was common to find these harness's in use by RAF/RCAF Bomber Command airmen during WWII?

The Harness is named "Barber" with a Service No. which looks like R233851 or 7 but some of the figures are a bit unclear so may not be correct. What do you think?

Any comments would be welcome. See attached photos.

Cheers Dave

Hi All

I'm surprised I haven't had any feedback on this harness? Can anyone help?

Cheers
Dave

November 26th, 2009, 7:40 pm #7

Hi Dave, I've had a few canadian harnesses through my hands, but could never find any period photo's of them being worn in the UK, so when possible I changed fo the normal RAF type. Most were 3/43 dated on the shoulder straps, but if I remember none had the AM mark. I'm still looking for the harness that has the quick release clips, as worn by Gibson on the Dams raid.

November 26th, 2009, 9:35 pm #8

Hi John

Many thanks for your post. I'm pretty sure this one is dated 1941, as far as I can make out. I thought it unusual that it had the A.M. Stamp and that is what led me to think that it had been used in the RAF, probably by a member of the RCAF? The other thing that is unusual about it (and I forgot to include a relevant photo in my initial post) is that it is fitted with a 'Round' RAF type Release Buckle (See Photo below). Now this Buckle could of course have been fitted to the harness at any time during, or since, the war, I have no way of knowing.

Cheers
Dave

November 26th, 2009, 9:56 pm #9

I know this is completely O/T, but that looks like a nice mannequin dave. Is it leaning against the wall? Where did you find it? I had a lead on a nice one a while ago, but the chap sold it. I really could do with one

November 26th, 2009, 10:16 pm #10

Hi Ben

The mannequin has a foot mount fixed to the round metal base so stands up by itself, so to speak. It was an Ebay find. As mentioned in some of my previous post, good period looking mannequins are really hard to find, this one is the best I've found so far.

Cheers
Dave