side cap and BD blouse - help with identification

side cap and BD blouse - help with identification

June 12th, 2008, 7:36 am #1

Dear all, two Czech cheaters masked as RAF enthusiast are selling this items (below) Please may you help me with identification? - Is this blouse really RAF and what is this Field Service Cap...

Thank you.

June 12th, 2008, 9:03 am #2

Well, from the photographs, the blouse looks OK. The side cap I'm not so sure about. It's in the right style but MARVEL HEADWEAR is not a name I've come across and the fact that it's got GARRISON CAP in it makes me think it's almost certainly American. The badge may be Canadian origin as I've seen that shape backing plate before but why is it on the outside? If in doubt give it a wide berth.

June 12th, 2008, 9:18 am #3

I'd agree, the blouse looks fine to me, and even though it has no rank, is the same style issued to men of all ranks.

The cap I think is post war Canadian, and looks like officers material (baretha wool) although its hard to tell from the photograph. Like Shide, I have never heard of 'Marvel Headwear', which is another thing to lead me to believe its post war.

You cant really tell what the badge backing is. If cloth, its very odd and I dont have an answer. If its made of fibre (a little like plastic) it could just be the 'backing plate' put on the outside in error. But again, thats more a post war thing (the backing plate, not that its on the outside!)

Like Shide, go for the blouse if the price is right, but leave the cap alone.

June 12th, 2008, 10:28 am #4

Thank you for advices...I will see, how will be final price of BD blouse...and why owner of cap said, it is cap of Czechoslovakian airman

June 12th, 2008, 3:57 pm #5

Hi Filip

I am not exact on prices but its 1945 dated and no insignia so maybe about £70.00. Collectible and looks good condition although maybe a little small for you?

The person selling might have been told it was a Czech owner, and it might have belonged to a Czhech post war. But I dont believe its an original wartime cap. With a 1945 date, the BD would have been worn after the war too

June 15th, 2008, 11:57 am #6

I have a friend who has kindly confirmed he has an RCAF cap made by Marvel Headwear and dated 1958, although its not stamped as a 'Garrison cap' (thanks Johnno) so it would seem its probably a post war canadian made cap as thought. The badge looks like a standard English made eagle, the Canadians usually having a distinctive shaped 'fatter' eagle.

June 16th, 2008, 7:24 pm #7

Thank you for your help. BD blouse was for near 112 pounds (not to me).