Show me your painted Irvins!

Show me your painted Irvins!

July 3rd, 2007, 1:38 am #1

Hey, does anyone have any pictures of Irvins that have been painted? Painted back panels are great but I'm really interested in any that have been painted or decaled on the shoulder area. I realize that painted Irvins are quite rare but any help you can give me would be great.

July 3rd, 2007, 7:11 am #2

Sorry. None of mine are painted.

July 3rd, 2007, 9:28 am #3

The only one I can think of belongs to a mate of mine. Its featured on the WW2 wings site at http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/newzealan ... gnia.shtml (scroll down)

Mine aren't I'm afraid. If you want to be put in touch with Kerry, he does read this, or I can pass on a message.

July 3rd, 2007, 11:09 am #4

Hey, does anyone have any pictures of Irvins that have been painted? Painted back panels are great but I'm really interested in any that have been painted or decaled on the shoulder area. I realize that painted Irvins are quite rare but any help you can give me would be great.
Hi Harrison,

I have an Irvin that while probably not technically a "painted" Irvin, it does have the man's name, rank and station (Northholt) painted under the collar. It appears to be painted in RAF aircraft yellow. If you think this is one you would like a photo of just let me know.

Paul O

July 3rd, 2007, 3:10 pm #5

I have one that has the Chaps initials on the upper breast, I`ll get a picture as soon as I can.

July 4th, 2007, 7:57 pm #6

Yes, i still have Mr Carter's painted irvin. Although he lives in New Zealand, i've visited him twice in 5 years & hope to visit him again early next year. We have also corresponded & he has written the full story behind the jacket including who painted it for him as well as providing a photo of him wearing it. While this was his "offical" jacket, he usually wore on Ops a civilian suede jacket which he bought while training in Canada which he gave to me during one of these visits. If you require any further info, please email. Kerry

July 9th, 2007, 4:01 am #7

Hi Harrison,

Her is a photo of one of the Irvins that I have in my collection. As you can see it is painted with the Pilot's name, rank and station. If it is too light in the photo it reads:

Flt. Lt. J W Walker
RAF Northolt
England

Although technically not a "painted Irvin", I thought you might like to see it.

Paul O.

July 9th, 2007, 2:47 pm #8

That is an interesting jacket Paul, but I wonder if it was post-war, or someone like a senior officer's. I'd think it would be extremely unlikely anyone would have been allowed to fly on ops with the name of his fighter station on his jacket!

There is a film available on DVD (cant recall the name at the mo) made for aircrews showing how even the slightest thing could lead the enemy to the base, squadron, aircraft etc that the person might have flown.

Interestingly, the town used as an example is my town, and I think Northolt the base, which is only a couple of miles from me.

July 9th, 2007, 9:32 pm #9

Alex, where abouts are you, chum?
I used to live a few miles from Northolt too, in Hayes.
Some of our lot did a RAF Families Day BoB display there, Good Mess, too!
tfn
Dickie

July 10th, 2007, 4:13 pm #10

Hi, i'm over in Harrow. I'm under the Northolt flightpath