Sewing on Kings Crown RAF Pilots Wings

Sewing on Kings Crown RAF Pilots Wings

August 13th, 2007, 4:44 pm #1

Firstly greetings and "hello" to everyone here. I came across this site whilst researching WWII RAF Officer's uniforms. I am putting together a Squadron Leader's Number 1 dress uniform for an event at Goodwood and after looking at the rubbish stuff one can hire as "fancy dress" decided to get it as "correct" as possible! Along with my DSO, DFC, Croix de Guerre and Palme, I have purchased a set of pilots wings to sew onto my uniform and they are very thickly padded. Would the pilot typically have removed this padding before sewing them on or it it all part of the effect? I am sure I will get back with other daft questions but that's my starter for ten. Regards Dickie...

August 13th, 2007, 7:45 pm #2

Most aircrews considered the padding made their badges look a bit better and so saved them for best dress, as opposed to the flat version for the working dress. Some aircrews also put in more padding or padded the flat ones they had.

August 14th, 2007, 1:57 pm #3

That's Alex useful information...

August 14th, 2007, 5:17 pm #4

You missed out the VC, DFM, DCM etc

Medals tend to offend veterans

Lawrence

August 14th, 2007, 6:08 pm #5

Yes, I have been warned about this on another WWII re-enactors forum but no offense is intended. After all none of us re-enacting are actual squadron leaders or military officers but wear the strips and braid. Regards Dickie...

August 14th, 2007, 8:25 pm #6

Great idea. While you're at it, why not through in the ribbons for a few knighthoods (GCVO, KCB, etc.), and perhaps the C.H. or OM? And of course you will want to award yourself the insignia of an Air Chief Marshal. Don't forget your "Top Gun" sunglasses.

I am sure everyone will be so impressed.

August 14th, 2007, 9:36 pm #7

If you are trying to be humorous or perhaps slightly sarcastic I would be more impressed if you hadn't posted anonymously. :-)

August 14th, 2007, 9:38 pm #8

You missed out the VC, DFM, DCM etc

Medals tend to offend veterans

Lawrence
Not just veterans by the look of it, thanks for warning me Lawrence. Doh!

August 14th, 2007, 10:39 pm #9

Always best not to, we'll be at Goodwood and you genrally find that although people like to look swanky, you'll come a cropper with the vets and (less importantly) reenactors if you wear medals.
Just not done really. Although we all hero worship the men and women who did it for real, none of us I'm sure would ever imagine we could be as brave etc..
Have a nice time though.
K

August 15th, 2007, 5:33 am #10

There are some (even on here) who wear everything!

2 sashes and 2 sticks and as many trade badges as you have ever seen.

Some even have web sites!

Lawrence