Searching for WW2-type Parachute Webbing/Strap

Searching for WW2-type Parachute Webbing/Strap

December 13th, 2008, 2:04 pm #1

Does anyone out there know where I can purchase WW2-type [white] parachute webbing/strapping??

Is there a company out there that currently manufactures the same WW2-type fabric for products?

I have already tried Vintage Parachutes, as suggested, without luck.

Always searching,

David R. Clark

December 14th, 2008, 2:03 pm #2

It's a bit of a 'hen's teeth' thing I'm afraid...
I've not come across a supplier who offers the exact same stuff, or even material that's close to the original stuff.

Apparently it's the herringbone weave that's just not being made anymore. There was 2" white webbing on sale on eBay, but the weave is way off, and it has a kind of 'dent' in the middle.
Still, it has a green line in the center, so for me, that would be as close as you can get it.

Or wait for the 'hen's teeth' on eBay. A few month ago there was a guy offering several yards of the original white webbing. When I approached him after winning the auction (cheap I might add), he told me a few pots of black paint spilled over the lot and he wasn't able to rescue anything... Maybe he caught on to it's real value... I don't know.
Thing is, the stuff does occasionally surface but you do have to be very, very patient!

Cheers, Toine

December 14th, 2008, 2:24 pm #3

Does anyone out there know where I can purchase WW2-type [white] parachute webbing/strapping??

Is there a company out there that currently manufactures the same WW2-type fabric for products?

Always searching,

David R. Clark
http://www.milspecmonkey.com/webbing.html

The webbing they carry is not too bad, if you can order smaller amounts in the right colour...

Cheers, Toine

December 15th, 2008, 8:37 pm #4

Contact Irvin Air chute in Letchworth Herts.
A few years ago I was looking for Irvin parachute parts so I decided to contact Irvin themselves. I was expecting the usual dead end. But to my surprise, I got in touch with a chap who, not only was a WWII buff but had access to surplus harness parts and parachutes! I ended up grabbing enough webbing to make a few harnesses plus buckles, bang boxes etc. I even bought a virgin silk 24 foot parachute canopy (which I still have, waiting for a WWII seat type assembly).
Most of the webbing I've long since sold, but I may have enough. How much are you in need of?
I think there are some QR boxes left - but only for the seat type. I need an Observer's QR box.
I still have a bag of Irvin WWII harness buckles that were never used.
Be patient as I live in the US and these parts are in the UK with my family.
I won't be able to get at these pieces until late January 09.
But in the mean time, try Irvin yourself.
Sorry, I've lost contact with the person at Irvin. But I will look in my paperwork for the name.
Cheers
Neil

December 16th, 2008, 2:51 am #5

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your advice!
What is your email so we can get in touch?
Send me an email at

I look forward to hearing from you,

David R. Clark
Toronto, ON. Canada

December 16th, 2008, 9:52 am #6

Here's my email: david_clark@rogers.com

Cheers!

D.C->

December 17th, 2008, 3:06 pm #7

Hi David,
Just in case you didn't receive my email - try L4DOTflyerATgmailDOTcom.
Cheers
Neil

December 29th, 2008, 4:00 am #8

Always searching,

David R. Clark
Try this guy: www.vintageparachutes.com

December 31st, 2008, 12:50 am #9

I have dealt with the owner, Bob, several times.

NO CHANCE!

There is no way he will sell you parachute webbing because apparently it is almost near impossible - according to Bob - for himself to get it from a company in Europe (Austria maybe?).

Thanks never the less. I'll keep looking.

Cheers! Happy New Year 2009!

David R. Clark