Saleroom or forum?

Saleroom or forum?

November 7th, 2010, 9:40 pm #1

Every time I log in recently I seem to find more and more 'items for sale'. I like the circle of people here, and the debates, but I'm getting a bit bored with the increasing 'I've got this for sale' etc, rather than the topics to mull over, debate and advise on. Recently a certain member was berrated for seemingly using this site to raise the profile of his own, and his ebay business, but it seems to be increasing with others. I dont really have any major objection on the whole, but perhaps something for consideration could be a separate 'For Sale' section?

November 7th, 2010, 10:30 pm #2

I've been having a similar discussion with a few of the other long-term folks on this site.

While I have no issue with an occassonal item being offered up, I do insist on the item having a price and that there no be a laundry list -- either all on one posting or spread across multiple posts.

I'm not willing to even consider a separate 'For Sale' section. If you need to sell, eBay is the place. Despite its high fees, the market reach still surpasses everything else.

November 7th, 2010, 10:35 pm #3

I agree Chris, and had meant to also say that it would be extra work for you too. As long as it doesnt start to be too frequent...

November 8th, 2010, 5:10 pm #4

Really? Personally I can't see the issue. The sad thing is that most debates stem from items for sale, maybe here or on eBay, as there seems to be a lack of discussion....maybe because there is a wealth of knowledge to be found here in earlier topics.

I can't really see the issue though; at the end of the day, it's much nicer to buy an item without going through a middle-man and also without having to pay an excessively high price.

November 8th, 2010, 7:02 pm #5

perhaps a more traditional forum layout with separate sections?
Would be better to find info etc...
K

November 8th, 2010, 7:36 pm #6

I'd agree with you Kate.....if there were more posts! Apart from searching for new topics, I find this system much better (personally)

I can see where you're going with this, though, but I think that would involve moving to another forum host.

November 8th, 2010, 8:00 pm #7

Was just about to list a Suits Aircrew and flying jacket! Off to the Bay of E I suppose!

November 8th, 2010, 8:22 pm #8

I can see no problem with people advertising their RAF related items here. I believe the forum should be organised logically in categories like most other forums. It would make it easier to search for topics and for people to contribute to older ones more easily. It makes sense for a buy/sell section as it would enable members to sell their items and buy outside the all powerful Ebay.

November 9th, 2010, 10:21 am #9

The single page forum layout works like a charm, all new/amended posts visible at a glance.

Items for sale allowed, within Chris' guidelines. And as Chris says, you'll never get the exposure here that eBay can offer. Most items posted here end up on eBay anyway.

I really can' t think of any reason to change it
Keep up the good work Chris!

Cheers, Toine
Last edited by ToineS on November 9th, 2010, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 9th, 2010, 12:28 pm #10

I dont see any need to change the site, as its a good forum/discussion area. A possibility you could split into sections, but it would leave some members looking mostly at one rather than the other (for example, Im not a reinactor, so would not look too much at that section if seperate).

My comments regarding sales, were aimed more at those who have established businesses or trading names rather than individuals. The aforementioned has a business and their own forum/website/discussion site, so I, like many others, started to get a bit fed up when they tried peddling their items here. I dont have a problem with enthusiasts or individuals, especially if they are conscious of where they want it to go (IE someone they know, or a like minded soul)