Restoring Metal Buckles

Restoring Metal Buckles

March 13th, 2006, 1:02 am #1

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning up metal buckles and snaps for boots? The metal has also oxidized and formed a bubbled up surface. Brasso and a Dremel Tool with wire brush?

Dean

March 15th, 2006, 11:18 pm #2

Hi Dean,

My personal feelings about cleaning metal snaps and things attached to leather is to leave them alone if at all possible. It all depends where and to what they are attached. I don't mind the "antique" look. Some of the other members of the forum will probably have far better advice on that topic.

One product that I have had superb results with on steel and aluminum is a product called Autosol Metal Polish. I have used it extensively on a WWI German Mauser with outstanding results. It also works wonders on aluminum parts like the SU carburators on old British sports cars.

It's a past that comes in a tube. I use a dab on OOOO grade (very fine steel wool). It can make ordinary, smooth steel almost look like it's been chromed. If you decide to use it, try it out on a similar piece of metal first to see if that is the effect you want to have.

The website is www.autosol.de if you want to read about the product. (I am in no way affiliated with it)

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Lorne Bohn lbohn@shaw.ca
(Canada)

March 17th, 2006, 1:49 am #3

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning up metal buckles and snaps for boots? The metal has also oxidized and formed a bubbled up surface. Brasso and a Dremel Tool with wire brush?

Dean
Dean,

There is an excellent set of notes on restoration and conservation within the Kaiser’s Bunker website. Although it based around antique headgear there are sections on leather, plated metal and steel etc.

See the Conservation and Display section of

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/

Hylton

March 18th, 2006, 2:48 pm #4

Dean
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the tips!

Dean