Repro paperwork

Repro paperwork

January 5th, 2007, 7:21 am #1

So I've decided to make use of my vacation time and design skills and make some repro paperwork.

RAF stationery:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/ ... ead_sm.jpg
This is based off of a letter my grandmother received from a pilot friend of hers. At the time of the letter (Oct 22, 1940) the writer was stationed up in Wittering with No.1 Sqn, which had been rotated north for a bit of a break. If you'd like, I can customize it for the post of your choosing. Print it out on white paper (dimensions are 7"x9")

For you RCAF reenactors, here is the form you might receive with news of your commission on it: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/ ... ram_sm.jpg Print it out on light brown/beige coloured paper. (Dimensions are 8.5"x6") You'll need to download the "Teleprinter" font (available at http://www.fontfreak.com/fonts-t.htm) and print off strips of paper with your text on it in order for it to look right.

Right now these are just jpgs. If you print them off they'll look like crap, but they're small enough to fit on the web and still have them look good. So if you want one of these, let me know (PM me), and I'll send you a 300dpi image suitable for printing (or a PDF if you prefer).

I'd love to hear any and all criticism, positive and negative.

Also, I am working on a repro logbook for aircrew (I'll work on pilot logbooks after I figure these ones out first), and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following info:
Dimensions (length/width/thickness)
Number of pages
Text in the "instructions"
Small characters after the "Total Time" and "Time carried over" parts on the right-hand page
Any scans or anything on what was in the back of the book

I've found a place that does binding in the dark blue fabric. If I can have them print and bind the books, I assume there would be interest in them, correct?

Thanks!

January 5th, 2007, 9:40 pm #2

Grahame- I have an original WWII Pilots logbook, I'll try to dig it out over the weekend, and get the info to you then... Where are you located?

Robbie

January 24th, 2007, 8:44 pm #3

So I've decided to make use of my vacation time and design skills and make some repro paperwork.

RAF stationery:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/ ... ead_sm.jpg
This is based off of a letter my grandmother received from a pilot friend of hers. At the time of the letter (Oct 22, 1940) the writer was stationed up in Wittering with No.1 Sqn, which had been rotated north for a bit of a break. If you'd like, I can customize it for the post of your choosing. Print it out on white paper (dimensions are 7"x9")

For you RCAF reenactors, here is the form you might receive with news of your commission on it: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/ ... ram_sm.jpg Print it out on light brown/beige coloured paper. (Dimensions are 8.5"x6") You'll need to download the "Teleprinter" font (available at http://www.fontfreak.com/fonts-t.htm) and print off strips of paper with your text on it in order for it to look right.

Right now these are just jpgs. If you print them off they'll look like crap, but they're small enough to fit on the web and still have them look good. So if you want one of these, let me know (PM me), and I'll send you a 300dpi image suitable for printing (or a PDF if you prefer).

I'd love to hear any and all criticism, positive and negative.

Also, I am working on a repro logbook for aircrew (I'll work on pilot logbooks after I figure these ones out first), and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following info:
Dimensions (length/width/thickness)
Number of pages
Text in the "instructions"
Small characters after the "Total Time" and "Time carried over" parts on the right-hand page
Any scans or anything on what was in the back of the book

I've found a place that does binding in the dark blue fabric. If I can have them print and bind the books, I assume there would be interest in them, correct?

Thanks!
So how are the log books coming? Get a chance to pick through the loaner yet? I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out!

Robbie

January 25th, 2007, 7:18 pm #4

It's coming along very well. I've finished the cover, the instructions page, and the qualifications page. I'm going to do the main log pages this weekend, and hopefully have it ready to go by the end of next weekend. I just have to hear back from the binding company.

I have to say, the dimensions aren't what I expected. I didn't realize that the logbooks are almost square. So thanks for sending yours. It's amazing, too, that you managed to get a hold of a blank logbook...pretty rare. Do you happen to know if the aircrew (non-pilot) logs are the same size?

As far as the RAF stationery, I think I'll get a pack of newsprint paper and print it off on that. I'll make the envelopes out of that, too...I think regular printer paper would be too thick for that type of reproduction.

Thanks again for your help!

January 26th, 2007, 12:21 am #5

I imagine the other logbooks would be of similar dimensions... I think that one was a 1942 printing- there is a marking on the inside front cover which I believe to be a printing date. I was kinda happy to get a blank original, although it arrived in the shape you see it- except for my name on the front... But a little beat up original as better than nothing at all! lol

Are you going to do the stationary based on the examples I sent? I thought they were a neat generic RAF wartime type when I saw them, which is nice, as you would write whatever return info on the top corner or something, and save having to get new stationary every time you moved from 11 Group to 12...

Robbie

January 26th, 2007, 1:11 am #6

It's coming along very well. I've finished the cover, the instructions page, and the qualifications page. I'm going to do the main log pages this weekend, and hopefully have it ready to go by the end of next weekend. I just have to hear back from the binding company.

I have to say, the dimensions aren't what I expected. I didn't realize that the logbooks are almost square. So thanks for sending yours. It's amazing, too, that you managed to get a hold of a blank logbook...pretty rare. Do you happen to know if the aircrew (non-pilot) logs are the same size?

As far as the RAF stationery, I think I'll get a pack of newsprint paper and print it off on that. I'll make the envelopes out of that, too...I think regular printer paper would be too thick for that type of reproduction.

Thanks again for your help!
Grahame:
The RAF Observer and Air Gunners flying log books (form 1767) are considerably smaller than the pilots logbook. Basic dimensions are 5.25" wide and 8" tall.

January 30th, 2007, 4:52 pm #7

So how are the log books coming? Get a chance to pick through the loaner yet? I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out!

Robbie
Robbie,

I ended up making photocopies of the pages, and then I took measurements for placement of all the lines and text spacing, and marked that on the photocopies. So now I believe I have everything I need. I'll get the book and stationery back to you this week, and I'll shoot you an email as soon as I get that out.

Thanks again for the use of it! It's fantastic!

Grahame

February 1st, 2007, 3:37 am #8

You're more than elcome- Glad to be of help: As I said, I'd love to see a copy of the final result! Hope you had fun with it!

Robbie

February 1st, 2007, 3:37 am #9

Robbie,

I ended up making photocopies of the pages, and then I took measurements for placement of all the lines and text spacing, and marked that on the photocopies. So now I believe I have everything I need. I'll get the book and stationery back to you this week, and I'll shoot you an email as soon as I get that out.

Thanks again for the use of it! It's fantastic!

Grahame
You're more than Welcome- Glad to be of help: As I said, I'd love to see a copy of the final result! Hope you had fun with it!

Robbie

February 3rd, 2007, 5:02 pm #10

Oh, it was wonderful. I brought it over to the post office today and sent it back to you. You should receive it in a few days! Thanks!