Replacement Earcups for WW2 C-type Flying Helmet

Replacement Earcups for WW2 C-type Flying Helmet

February 14th, 2009, 9:08 pm #1

I'm looking for a good pair of the [black external] Replacement Earcups for a WW2 C-type Flying Helmet.

Does anyone know where I can find a pair out there??

Always grateful for the help,

D.C->

February 14th, 2009, 10:35 pm #2

I have a mate who sells them, I'll see if I can contact him

February 15th, 2009, 12:00 am #3

Alex,

There are reproduction cups on ebay that are not accurate as they are missing the lip that the helmet shell leather has to tuck up underneath of. This is right at the base of the cup just inboard of the heavy stitching that surrounds the cup. Does your mate have repro cups that have the lip? What material does he use?

Cheers,

theotherChris

February 15th, 2009, 12:50 am #4

There are two types Chris. My early C Type has just the cup, stitched to the outside, the later C Type has the cups with the larger lip thats slips under the leather outer shell. My mates has both types which are molded directly from real examples. Ive also had some screw on covers for the later pattern earphones and you cannot tell them from the originals, they are complete with all molded serial numbers etc, exactly the same colour and identical looking material.

The rubber earcups are some sort of composite, which has the same properties and 'feel' but are harder wearing.

February 15th, 2009, 4:25 am #5

Alex,

Indeed I am aware of the two styles of cups. Please let me know how to get in contact with him. You can click on my name uper right to get my email address.

cheers,

theotherChris

February 15th, 2009, 11:28 am #6

I think that the guy Alex is referring to attends the Chatham Militaria Show every second Sunday of the month. I have never properly spoken to him before, but maybe I could have a word with him...?

February 15th, 2009, 4:28 pm #7

There are two types Chris. My early C Type has just the cup, stitched to the outside, the later C Type has the cups with the larger lip thats slips under the leather outer shell. My mates has both types which are molded directly from real examples. Ive also had some screw on covers for the later pattern earphones and you cannot tell them from the originals, they are complete with all molded serial numbers etc, exactly the same colour and identical looking material.

The rubber earcups are some sort of composite, which has the same properties and 'feel' but are harder wearing.
Alex,
Is this the same person who offers the earcups on ebay? Or are two different people being discussed?
Thanks.

February 16th, 2009, 3:52 am #8

Alex,

The late C style earcups that I have seen on ebay lack the lip. I won't buy them and go through all the work of sewing them into a helmet unless they are accurate. I don't think anybody would. I also can't fathom somebody going through the gyrations of making a reproduction earcup and then make them inaccurately.

If you (or anybody else) know of somebody that makes a repro earcup that is accurate (includes the lip), please tell me how to contact him (or her).

theotherChris

February 16th, 2009, 3:53 am #9

I think that the guy Alex is referring to attends the Chatham Militaria Show every second Sunday of the month. I have never properly spoken to him before, but maybe I could have a word with him...?
Ben,

If you attend this show each month, pleae have alook at them and see if they have the lip.

theotherChris

February 16th, 2009, 10:28 am #10

Alex,

The late C style earcups that I have seen on ebay lack the lip. I won't buy them and go through all the work of sewing them into a helmet unless they are accurate. I don't think anybody would. I also can't fathom somebody going through the gyrations of making a reproduction earcup and then make them inaccurately.

If you (or anybody else) know of somebody that makes a repro earcup that is accurate (includes the lip), please tell me how to contact him (or her).

theotherChris
Ive ive already said above chris, he makes two different patterns both copied directly from originals. I believe that originally they were to be made for a certain well known seller who subsequently decided (after they were made) that he could get a cheaper option elsewhere, which are the inaccurate ones (although the seller isnt the one selling them on ebay). The ones my friend has Ive seen added to helmets several times and they are the same as on my C Types.

I'll contact him and let him take it from there.