RE; IRVIN ZIPPERS

RE; IRVIN ZIPPERS

May 3rd, 2006, 4:49 am #1

HI.
HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME.. I'VE GOT A WARTIME IRVIN (MID-WAR FOUR PANELLED) AND IT HAS THREE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ZIPPERS. WHICH ONES ARE THE ORIGINALS? CAN SOMEONE SHOW ME A PICTURE?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

May 3rd, 2006, 1:16 pm #2

Andrew,
There were several different brands of zippers used on Irvin jackets. It would not be unreasonable to expect to see different brands on a jacket. One of my Irvins has an plain AM stamped zip on the front and Lightning brand zips on the sleeves. None of them are replacements.

Also bear in mind that many of these jackets were used for years/decades after they were issued as winter coats. If, over time, a zip went bad, it would be reasonable to expect that a new zipper would be fitted. Repairs/replacements are usually pretty easy to spot.

Not directly related but I have a sheepskin Luftwaffe flight jacket that was brough home as a war trophy. Because European zippers are generally backwards to US zips, the vet who brought the jacket home had the main zip replaced with a US-made Talon zipper which has the puller on the right, as opposed to the original which had the puller on the left side.

May 3rd, 2006, 8:41 pm #3

I agree with Chris. It's quite common to find a mixture of zips on an original jacket. The RAF sheepskin flying jacket had either Dot or Lightning (Kynoch) zips. The Dots came with one pivot and a stamped slider or two pivots with a cast slider. Early examples have no AM and King's crown but have serrations on the back of the puller and are in nickel. Later ones have a flat brass puller and are so marked. Lightning zips are in two patterns (one that looks like an early Talon because of the association between those two companies) and the later characteristic pattern, which sometimes appears in nickel. Again, as with the Dot, early examples lack the AM markings.

I did one own a very early example (a civilian suit from the first year of production) that had Aero zips that looked original, but this is very rare. Any other zips are probably replacements.

E&OE!

May 9th, 2006, 7:09 am #4

Andrew,
There were several different brands of zippers used on Irvin jackets. It would not be unreasonable to expect to see different brands on a jacket. One of my Irvins has an plain AM stamped zip on the front and Lightning brand zips on the sleeves. None of them are replacements.

Also bear in mind that many of these jackets were used for years/decades after they were issued as winter coats. If, over time, a zip went bad, it would be reasonable to expect that a new zipper would be fitted. Repairs/replacements are usually pretty easy to spot.

Not directly related but I have a sheepskin Luftwaffe flight jacket that was brough home as a war trophy. Because European zippers are generally backwards to US zips, the vet who brought the jacket home had the main zip replaced with a US-made Talon zipper which has the puller on the right, as opposed to the original which had the puller on the left side.
Chris,
thanks for your help but I'm still baffled here. I've got three different types of zipper on the jacket...one of them must be the original type that came with the jacket as standard....which one I wonder.

Andrew.

May 10th, 2006, 12:50 pm #5

Andrew - I was taking some photos of my jackets and thought these might help. I have 4 pics per jacket - 2 of the main zip - puller down and up & 2 of the sleeve zip - puller down and up. The first 2 jackets are early 2 panel, the thirdd is a mid war 4 panel and the last is a patchwork late war example. As far as I am aware, all zips are original to the jackets. Couldn't get pics all the same size - they have a mind of their own.

Alternative 2 panel:

Mid war 4 panel:

Late war:

May 10th, 2006, 10:53 pm #6

Gerry,
I've e-mailed you to thank you for all the help. Much wiser now.

September 10th, 2010, 1:21 pm #7

Andrew - I was taking some photos of my jackets and thought these might help. I have 4 pics per jacket - 2 of the main zip - puller down and up & 2 of the sleeve zip - puller down and up. The first 2 jackets are early 2 panel, the thirdd is a mid war 4 panel and the last is a patchwork late war example. As far as I am aware, all zips are original to the jackets. Couldn't get pics all the same size - they have a mind of their own.

Alternative 2 panel:

Mid war 4 panel:

Late war:

hi there,
a bit old thread, but still very informative, thanks for posting the photos.
I was offered an allegedly genuine early (1940) pattern irvin the other day, all three zippers marked as "Klinx or Clinx". Has anyone ever heard of these?
thank you,
s.

September 15th, 2010, 6:04 pm #8

Other brands of zips on Irvins were FF ltd, which was most likely Flash Fastener, and N marked zips (post 1943). Clix zips were post war and used on "Irvin" style jackets made from low grade sheepskin and often vinyl. They were often made by Pride and Clark and date from the late '40s to the early '60s.

October 1st, 2010, 12:30 pm #9

thank you for your info, that clarifies quite a lot.
s.