RCAF wartime trade badges worn by RCAF and RCAF WDs

RCAF wartime trade badges worn by RCAF and RCAF WDs

August 21st, 2006, 1:39 am #1

I am searching for information about the musician trade badges worn by RCAF and RCAF WD bands. I know they wore the horizontal bugler badge but recently I saw two Ebay lots - one for the lyre badge and one for the drum badge.
Questions- just how many Musician badges were there, what were the colours?
The Sampson book is very sparse on this topic.

Lastly, I am trying to obtain the badges for a WD display. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Doug Townend

August 21st, 2006, 3:02 pm #2

The RCAF Musicians wore three trade badges, the lyre, trumpet and drum, both in light blue on dark blue and red on tan. In addition, musicians wore gold wire 'canada' Titles and LAC badges, as well as silvered (either white metal or chromed) buttons and cap badge.

I can provide scans of all

August 21st, 2006, 3:05 pm #3

The shoulder titles worn by musicians were not of course worn whilst in Canada, only outside the Canadian borders.

They differ from Mess Dress in size, the mess dres being smaller, the musicians being 'full size'.

August 23rd, 2006, 12:00 am #4

Thanks very much for the info and the offer of scans. Would very much like the scans.

DT.

August 25th, 2006, 2:45 am #5

The RCAF Musicians wore three trade badges, the lyre, trumpet and drum, both in light blue on dark blue and red on tan. In addition, musicians wore gold wire 'canada' Titles and LAC badges, as well as silvered (either white metal or chromed) buttons and cap badge.

I can provide scans of all
Alex,

Do you have any information on RAAF Musician badges, I have only ever seen an oxidised lyre.

Regards,

Lindsay.

August 25th, 2006, 9:47 am #6

Doug and Lindsay

Firstly, apologies for not getting a photo on yet, my internet has been down and I have been relying on internet cafes - will sort later today.

With regards countries, the RAF used badges in brass to denote drummer (drum), piper (bagpipes), trumpeter (crossed trumpets facing down) and Musicians (lyre). There was also a drum major (four inverted chevrons with a drum one inch above the point of the chevrons), and presumably in pipe bands a pipe major (as above but a bagpipes badge above the chevrons). The Lyre badge came in crowned and uncrowned versions and the only one to be in woven and brass versions. The crowned version has been described as for the Central Band and for Bandmaster but as most photos show this badge being worn by all band members, including WAAFs(outside the others mentioned above) this cant be so. I have been told that the uncrowned version was for volunteer bandsmen. There are chromed versions of buttons and other ranks cap badges which are apprently for the RAF Halton Band.

The RCAF had as mentioned, cloth badges in blue and red/tan for drummer (drum), trumpeter (trumpet) and bandsman (lyre). LAC badges and 'Canada' titles (for those serving overseas) were in gold wire on blue/grey, while cap badges and buttons were in chromed or white metal. The RCAF are the only country I have found that had silvered buttons and badges officially.

I have silvered RNZAF buttons and cap badge and a silvered RAAF cap badge whilch I believe are bandsman's but possibly unofficially.

The bronzed lyre is the only RAAF badge I know of, but its quite probable that other trades were used such as drummer and piper.

Cadets of the British Air Training Corps wore the RAF bandsman badges in chromed metal, although I know personally of one cadet who wore a bandsman lyre in brass (probably during the transition period between the Air Defence Cadet Corps becoming the ATC in 1941). I also have a photo of an ATC band with cadets wearing the crossed trumpets badge upside down!

September 4th, 2006, 5:39 pm #7

Here as promised are scans of (as far as I know) the complete set of WW2 RCAF Band insignia.

At the top is a pair of gold bullion shoulder titles, along with chromed/white metal buttons and ORs cap badge.

Under that are LAC rank badges and band trade badges for summer and winter dress.

September 5th, 2006, 6:38 pm #8

Many, many thanks. Perfect for my need.

DT.

September 5th, 2006, 6:43 pm #9

Having seen what it looks like in Alex's picture, Now I know what to look for.

Does anyone have for sale or trade? If yes, please contact me direct.

DT.

September 5th, 2006, 9:35 pm #10

The titles and LAC badges are easy to come by (look on Canadian ebay now under 'R.C.A.F.'). The trumpet and drum are quite hard to find although the lyre comes up now and then. Cap badges appear here and there, but buttons are scarce. I have a friend who has finished the set for me by finding some wedge cap buttons in silvered metal.

If anyone wants to see scans of RAF Bandsman badges let me know.